Strikeforce - Diaz vs. Daley

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
200px-Diazvsdaley.jpg

Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Daley
April 9, 2011

Main Card
Strikeforce Welterweight Championship - Nick Diaz (c) vs. Paul Daley
Strikeforce Lightweight Championship - Gilbert Melendez (c) vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
Gegard Mousasi vs. Keith Jardine
Shinya Aoki vs. Lyle Beerbohm​

Preliminary Card
Featherweight bout: Hiroyuki Takaya vs. Robert Peralta
Heavyweight bout: Brett Albee vs. Virgil Zwicker
Lightweight bout: Joe Duarte vs. Saad Awad
Welterweight bout: Herman Terrado vs. AJ Matthews
Featherweight bout: Rolando Perez vs. Edgar Cardenas
Middleweight bout: Casey Ryan vs. Paul Song

This is a stacked card and it will be the first run under Zuffa management. I found it so strange seeing this event being advertised on the UFC 128 PPV.​

Paul Daley getting a title shot must bug Dana White. I am sure he will want to get rid of him soon since he blacklisted him after Daley threw a cheapshot at Josh Koscheck when his back was turned. Diaz is undefeated in seven fights in Strikeforce and has defended his Welterweight Championship twice. This will be a tough fight for him and I am not sure who would be the favourite here. Should be a good fight whatever happens.​

Melendez is on a four fight winning streak and is fighting Strikeforce newcomer Kawajiri. They have fought before, in 2006, in what was a great fight that Melendez won and hopefully this fight is up to the standard of their previous encounter.​

Your thoughts on the card?​

Last edited:

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Daley talking about pulling out of the fight, but I doubt it. Since Zuffa will tie his asshole in knots with the Strikeforce contract he signed. Daley was seriously overrated and Kos proved one right hand doesn't equal success on the ground. Look for Nick Diaz to ground this fight and choke him out.

Should fight Miller next.

Mousasi gets another can to crush, making sure he looks good for Hendo.

Haven't really seen much of Melendez since last fight I watched him watching Aoli scooting around on his ass for 5 rounds.

Dademo

Reaction score
I think Diaz/Daley could bring fireworks but as a Nick Diaz fan that's what I'm afraid of. Paul Daley has serious power but hopefully Nick watched the Kos fight and like Deezy said, takes him down and subs him.

Melendez wins this fight then signs with the UFC, because I think his contract will be up then.

Deezy said what I would say about Mousasi.

And Shinya Aoki will fight Lyle w/e. Can for Aoki I guess.

Chase

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
I am glad to see Melendez back in the cage I enjoy his fights so this should be a treat for more. I am looking forward to the Mousassi fight winner of that fight will get Hendo i believe so it should be a good fight. Diaz and Daley I am not really interested in to be honest, I mean the fight will be decent, but Diaz is on a different level then Daley. Overall I am with Deezy and Mayhem should fight Diaz.

"Don't be scared homie"

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I didn't even see Aoki's name on the card, overrated is an overused word in the world of MMA, but it fits Aoki perfectly. If this guy can't fight without grappling pants, he couldn't beat his pillow at night.

Dademo

Reaction score
Keith Jardine replaces Mike Kyle. Jardine is a favorite of mine as he always puts it on the line and I've always liked him. Glad he's back with Zuffa, and although I don't see him winning, I wish him good luck.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Jardine is a likeable fighter, but it won't stop him from getting crushed by the Dreamcatcher.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
After reading about his recent fights I can see why Jardine would have leapt at this chance to fight on a Strikeforce card even with only a week's notice. He won't win but it gives him a decent paycheck and gets his name out there again.

Dademo

Reaction score
So decent night of fights tonight. I really liked them, very exciting and many stoppages.

Aoki submits a can which was no surprise, and although the sub wasn't a twister, I'm sure Eddie Bravo was excited to see a sub like that.

Mousasi vs. Jardine was a great fight, but how the hell was that a draw. I know Mousasi didn't look too great but he definitely won that fight and Jardine knows he lost I think. This opens the door to have Hendo vs. Fedor since there's no legit contenders in the Strikeforce 205 div.

Melendez vs. Kawajiri was all Gilbert in this fight. He was glad the elbows were now allowed in the Hexagon, and although a great win, I still don't see him beating Frankie Edgar or Gray Maynard.

Diaz vs. Daley was a battle. Two great strikers going at it. It thought Nick Diaz was done the second time he got dropped but wow was I wrong. Nick Diaz has got a hell of a chin and has some of the best, if not the best boxing in MMA. Mad respect to him after tonight.

Chase

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes3
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Diaz sounded stupid after his fight in the interview. He could not even speak, but damn good fight between him Daley. Was very happy with Daley dropping Diaz he just needs to know how to finish.

Melendez looked great, but if he wants to go through Edgar or Manyard to top guys. He needs to go through Guida first in my mind who is a gatekeeper to see if your ready for the big dogs in LW. I think even a Jim Miller could be a challenge for Melendez.

Draw for Jardine and Mousassi. That point cost Mousassi that is for sure. No need for a rematch but unclear who is next in line.

Aoki who cares he beat some one not so special.