Rowdy Roddy Piper

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
Every forum must have a topic on this LEGEND.

I am going to use WWF instead of WWE because it was what it was in Piper's time.

rowdy-roddy-piper.jpg

Championships

Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling / World Championship Wrestling

NWA Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Championship (3 times)
NWA Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Championship (1 time)
NWA Television Championship (2 times)
NWA/WCW United States Heavyweight Championship (3 times)

NWA All-Star Wrestling
NWA Canadian Tag Team Championship (1 time)

NWA Hollywood Wrestling
NWA Americas Heavyweight Championship (5 times)
NWA Americas Tag Team Championship (7 times)
NWA World Light Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

NWA San Francisco
NWA United States Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
NWA World Tag Team Championship (1 time)

Pacific Northwest Wrestling
NWA Pacific Northwest Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
NWA Pacific Northwest Tag Team Championship (5 times)

World Class Championship Wrestling
NWA American Tag Team Championship (1 time)

World Wrestling Federation/World Wrestling Entertainment
WWF Intercontinental Championship (1 time)
World Tag Team Championship (1 time)

A lot of people have no idea how many championships Piper had in his career because they only know of the WWF related titles so they assume he has only had two (though most will only remember his IC run). Understandable when you only limit yourself to the WWF. Educate yourself. Same with Ric Flair. I don't doubt there are people out there who think he is a 16 time WWF world heavyweight champ. Still, you don't have to have even one championship to be one of the best. Perfect example is Dan Marino. Just wanted to showcase his championships because too many people here like to use championship wins as meaning you're one of the best and 'lolololol Piper only had the belt once' is quite often muttered by awful wrestling fans.

Promos

No one can do a promo like Piper. Constant class A promos. No scripts, just random shit Piper thought of on the spot. For example, the Snuka coconut Piper's Pit was basically 'here is a bag of fruit, do something with it'. For those who don't own his awesome DVD, Piper made sure to know where the closest door was because he knew Snuka would be mad after getting his head smashed so Piper hit him and bolted towards a locker room door. Just an example of how Piper was creative enough to be given anything and told to use his imagination and he could do it without a problem. The only flaw Piper had was sometimes using the same lines in different promos. An example would be his Village People comment towards the Mountie. Still funny, but it was way funnier the first time and more insulting. The second time, meh, kinda killed it. Same with Iron Sheik and the $10 bill.

Anyway, some examples of what a promo should be.

Just follow youtube and you will find plenty more. There are just too many Piper promos to post. Piper showed a lot of emotion in everything he did. He was real and passionate, something the WWE has lacked for a long time.

Piper's Pit

All you little kiddies out there who like The Cutting Edge, Highlight Reel, Peep Show, Miz TV....have a look at the man who started the whole idea of wrestler's having their own segment shows.

Piper's Pit was pitched to Vince by Piper himself. It wasn't normal at the time for a wrestler to be the one doing interviews. It served as a way to create feuds between him and other wrestlers, assist in putting wrestlers over, and as a way for Piper to still be in the spotlight while injured.

Staying Power

Even today, Piper is still relevant to the wrestling world. People still chant his name and love to see him. He wasn't one of those wrestlers who went away and was forgotten. He wasn't one of those wrestlers who makes appearances and hardly gets a pop, if any at all. He was an innovator of elements of the sport and people respect that and show it (unless you're a fucking loser). He has the ability to hold a crowd without having to say anything.

They Live

You get They Live....and then you get utter fucking garbage like The Marine, The Chaperone, 12 Rounds, Knucklehead, etc. His line, 'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubblegum', Piper made up on the spot and they loved it so they kept it in the movie.

They Live is one of the best movies ever and everyone should watch it. If you think it sucks, it's because your dick is small.

You will also never look that good in jeans, ever.

Heel and Face

It isn't easy for many wrestlers to pull off both a heel run and a face run. People loved him, people hated him. He knew how to make you do both. He was a lovable face, he was an asshole heel. Whichever he needed to be, he did it, and he knew how to make you react in the way you were suppose to.

Logo and Theme

Just throwing this in because I can. Piper has the best logo ever and one of the best and most recognizable themes.

htrdp.jpg

This covers some of the reasons why Piper is a fucking legend. You don't have to like him but you should respect him because a lot of things you see in wrestling now are taken from Piper, only no one can ever do it as good as Piper.

Matches

Here are a few I personally enjoy.

I just posted part 1 or 2 of some matches, look for the other part listed on the side on youtube.

I have too many I like, I just picked a few off the top of my head.

Hall of Famer
Legend
Icon

RIP HOT ROD
April 17th, 1954 - July 30th, 2015

One of the best wrestlers of all time to you. THE best wrestler of all time to me.

Reactions: Vegeta and Chris

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Huge Piper fan, not as much as you because a lot of his best work is before my time. But what I seen of him and gone back to see, he truly was one of the best. Surely the best to never get a run with the big title. Dude was and always will be a legend and the true Rowdy one.

Reactions: Lady Redfield

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Piper's great. One of the funniest promos you'd ever see.

TSFd.gif

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
That's from the Super Mario Bros Super Show, I fucking loved watching that show and the Legend of Zelda bits. Good times. "Rowdy Roddy's Rotten Pipes" was the name of the episode he was in. Captain Lou Albano was Super Mario hahaha

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
That's from the Super Mario Bros Super Show, I fucking loved watching that show and the Legend of Zelda bits. Good times. "Rowdy Roddy's Rotten Pipes" was the name of the episode he was in. Captain Lou Albano was Super Mario hahaha
Great catch on the gif. :WOW

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
One of the weird things people forget is that Piper appeared in TNA from 2002 to early 2005. Among other highlights, he hosted In the Pit with Piper (subtle), and promo'd on Russo to blame him for Owen Hart's death.

Only a legend could deal with the way early TNA booked stars of the past ... lucky Piper was a legend

Reactions: Vegeta

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
Yeah, that segment was really hard to watch, not because it was bad (it wasn't), but, because you know there was so much anger and heart in there and it was really personal. It felt like you were at a friend's house and then their parents starting arguing in front of you.

Piper also got super passionate with Bill Maher when he was a guest with other wrestlers on his show and Maher was saying wrestling wasn't real so Piper lost it and showed him his bruises. Maher is a fucking dickhead, so, I guess that wasn't really shocking.

Last edited:

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Piper was piss poor in the ring but you can't deny his charm and charisma.

Too bad Austin killed him over his podcast.

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler