Road Warrior Animal Says Sting Isn’t An Icon

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

W-olf

Reaction score
EWN

During a recent interview with Extreme Pro Wrestling Radio, WWE Hall of Famer Road Warrior Animal discussed Sting's status as an icon and who is the best singles worker of all time.

On teaming with Sting: "The NWA was looking for a spot for Sting and I said make him a brother in paint and then Sting joined us (Road Warriors) in our six-man matches."

On whether Sting should be called an icon: "No! Sting is not in the same league as guys like Triple H, Stone Cold, The Rock. Sting will never be considered a legend or icon until he lets his pride go and joins WWE. He needs to bury his personal issues and just get into the WWE. Sting has to come over to the WWE to be that guy, it's a bigger stage. Impact is one thing, the WWE is a way bigger thing."

His pick for the best singles worker of all time: "Easily, [Ric] Flair."

I never thought I'd say this and maybe he's right but I am a huge Sting fan so with that said Fuck you Animal I liked Hawk anyway ( I did so what.)

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I think one of the things that makes Sting's legend grow more than anything is that he was never a WWE/WWF guy. He's just the guy that refused to sell out his beliefs (even if it, arguably, gave him a less spectacular in return) and that's why he is such an icon.

If Animal was right about one thing, it is that Ric Flair is the best of all-time. THE BEST!

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Animal sounds bitter here, and EC is right, part of what makes Sting an icon is his refusal to join WWE.

The Stunner

Reaction score
"ooooooooooooooooooooh whatta putz!!" -Tell em Hawk!!

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Really Animal? Someone who refuses to go to the biggest company because he's sick of how they treat people means he's not an icon... Ok

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I am gonna side with Animal on this. Sting's ego is a little big. He is a face that calls himself an Icon. Plus he never really was all that good on the mic and just takes gimmicks from movies and adapts them to himself. Fuck Sting.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I am gonna side with Animal on this. Sting's ego is a little big. He is a face that calls himself an Icon. Plus he never really was all that good on the mic and just takes gimmicks from movies and adapts them to himself. Fuck Sting.
To be fair his first gimmick wasn't from a movie, it was more just a bleached blonde with paint. As far as in-ring goes, the guy works circles around Animal and without him WCW could very well have fallen completely to shit during the period that Flair was gone. Like it or not, Sting and Vader (and Foley to a lesser extent) basically kept WCW alive until Flair came back, so for that alone I have to respect him. And as far as big egos go, Animal's is just as big if not bigger so that kind of cancels Sting's out.

There really shouldn't be side taking here though, Sting didn't refute Animal's comments, so its not like they're warring over this.

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I wasn't referring to the bleach blonde thing. I hated he went to the Crow then to the Joker recently. It's hacky and lame. I didn't watch WCW during that time so I can't comment on that. I have just never like Sting. And I am sure Animal has a huge ego...we all know his brother does.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Yeah Sting pretty much was WCW. The Ultimate Warrior stole the face paint from Sting. He's amazing in the ring. The guy is 53 years old and he moves great. Much better than Flair did when he was 53. He's made himself into an icon without being in wwe and for that he's deserves the nickname.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
I wasn't referring to the bleach blonde thing. I hated he went to the Crow then to the Joker recently. It's hacky and lame. I didn't watch WCW during that time so I can't comment on that. I have just never like Sting. And I am sure Animal has a huge ego...we all know his brother does.
Yeah, its really six and half one dozen of another in terms of the ego argument and certainly we know what kind of an ego his brother has, though at least he uses it to his advantage. Strictly speaking of the Crow/Joker gimmicks, I agree that they are pure rip off's and would expect more out of Sting, mind you the initial Crow gimmick was pretty fucking cool when he first did it. I guess its really all about personal preference here, I love Sting, you don't, so we'll always be at odds about him.

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
lol no he didn't steal it from Sting they were tag team partners before that and Warrior was the Dingo Warrior before Sting was in WCW...neither of them stole it from the other...not to mention LOD was using facepaint well before either of them

TroyTheAverage

Love That Danhausen
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Sports Team
timberwolves
Favorite Sports Team
xNN1pyG
Favorite Sports Team
MK6AEv8
Viper, you realize Warrior didn't steal the face paint thing from Sting, they were tag partners many years ago and both adapted it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
check the post above yours Troy...hee hee great minds

Reactions: 1 person

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Blade Runners, baby.

But really, if nothing else you can respect Sting for being the franchise of WCW who gave them everything he had night in and night out, and only expected the recognition of a cool nickname like "The Icon". As for Animal, I've always thought of him as kind of a jerk. Mostly because he was part of the group of grandpas who bled WCW dry when it was already beginning to die out. Sting was there from late 80's all the way until it died, and Animal was still making just as much, if not more money when he came back in 2000. Not to mention, Animal could have never stood alone inside a ring, which is why even WCW wouldn't put the title on him, even though they were paying out the ass for him.

Sting's ego is apparent too, though. He basically went out of his way to avoid signing with the biggest company in the world because he was pissed that they put the promotion he franchised out of business. But that's understandable at the same time. Do you expect the CEO of Burger King to go work for McDonald's after they put him out of business? I wouldn't. And even though that's a pretty crappy analogy, that's the way I look at it. His ego is partially justifiable, even if it did cripple him in a lot of ways. But we also need to remember that Sting was the face of WCW (along with nWo and Goldberg) when it was at it's peak and beating WWF, so it's not like he never lived up to his full potential. The only thing that could really overshadow that would be main eventing WrestleMania, which he surely could have done, but it would be a one night stand type of deal, because Sting has been to the moutnain top and he doesn't need to stay in the spotlight of the big leagues, because he's already been there and done that.

Reactions: 1 person

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Viper, you realize Warrior didn't steal the face paint thing from Sting, they were tag partners many years ago and both adapted it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yeah I know. The bladerunners. Sting was Bladerunner Flash and Warrior was Bladerunner Rock but after they broke up, Sting became famous first