Rastafari Movement

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Or just Rasta as it is more commonly referred to. Defined by the green, gold and red color code and embodied most notably by one Bob Marley and more recently Snoop Lion. Though it is mostly a religion, many view it more as a 'way of life' and even more frequently, people go on living the lifestyle not knowing the true meaning, or half assing the lifestyle so to speak. The defining elements of rasta are the spiritual use of weed, the rejection of materialistic lifestyle and the striving for peace within society. I for one have become increasingly interested in the movement thanks to this latest Snoop Lion album, Reincated, coupled with a long time love for the likes of Bob Marley as well as other pro-peace artists including Jimi Hendrix and Kid Cudi who aren't Rastafari followers, but still embody the spirit of it.

My eyes are opened to this idea. I am a bit of an unorthodox Christian in my beliefs. I choose to accept the Christian God as my Lord ad Savior though my train of thought has always been opposed to all the judgment and conversion attempts that tag along with Christianity. I choose to believe that judgment doesn't belong in a Christian's life and I am very free about how other's live their lives as long as it doesn't have an immediate negative effect on those around them. That being said I've never supported the idea of converting people to Christianity. But even with all that, I am secure in my faith and don't wish to seek other religious possibilities, so that is one aspect of Rastafari that turns me off. They seem to view the former Ethiopian emperor Selassie as a Christ incarnate of sorts which I don't see myself getting on board with. The good news in that regard is that it's not a highly organized religion. From what I can understand, you can support the Rastafari Movement without necessarily buying in to their religious beliefs. One area I can agree with the Rastafarians is that they "accept much of the Bible, although they believe its message is corrupted." -- kind of sums up my feelings towards that subject.

But in other terms, I agree with the ideology. I don't try to define myself by my materialistic possessions... I don't judge or discriminate against any race or religion... I don't think people's individual liberties should be limited by anyone except themselves... I don't wish to see violence in the world... I don't want to see anyone, anywwhere in the world oppressed by anyone, anywhere...

This movement has caught my attention. Very much so. Truth be told, many of their defining elements match up with personal values I have held near and dear to myself for years now, but I never took the time to really explore the concepts and do my research. I don't doubt my lack of African heritage limits how engaged I can be in this theology, but I identify with it and feel like if anyone asks... maybe someday I can tell them that the Rastafarian movement is something I am to a small extent, a part of.

I know a lot of the more cynical folks out there take the whole thing as a joke as it's been worn out by moronic stoners all across the nation, but I wouldn't write it off so fast until you consider the cultural impacts it has had on people ever since the 70's and how it can continue to have positive impacts on how people live their life.

So... What do you all feel about the elements of Rasta and do you know any avid followers? Are you one yourself perhaps? What does it all mean to you?

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
I have to say that I myself am not a completely white washed christian, I believe in seeing life from all perspectives and in order to do that you have to venture outside what's known as your personal comfort zone based within your set religion. But I do believe in god and I definitely do pray a lot more often than what I used to, and do I believe that the best way to see that is by getting stoned out of your tree and talking about the bigger picture of life? Absolutely not, I spent a lot of time wasted off smoking weed and every now and than I don't mind treating myself to the odd fix of greenery now and than. (you should come to Canada, KJ. We got killer weed up here!) But I keep my priorities of a hard working North American man in mind.

Over in North America we are born into what's called a capitalist society, and everything glorifies the fact that if you work hard enough.. you can pretty much live your dreams, and that's fine with me. I believe in the media now-a-days there are some corruption (the fact that they are trying to influence our society to be blonde haired blue eyes california boys/girls is tied to a new world order theory of mine) but we should always value the hard work of ourselves, and our possessions go to show what our hard work has attested to. Mind you, a lot of people I grew up with grew up way more fortunate than I did and I tend not to respect those people so much as I would somebody who I know has worked for all I have had.

So in all honesty, my view on the theory is that I myself do not embody it.. I am nothing more than a working class North American citizen in pursuit or a larger life based on the horrible pattern I was born into. I know I have to work towards that, if I pray to god every single night and give everything my all everyday in life.. I know I can be brought good fortune. I do understand where you're coming from, and in North America it is not so much looked at as a productive lifestyle.. and I'm only saying that because I myself have smoked enough weed to embody that view of life.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I agree. I'm not attracted to the Rastafarian Movement because it gives me an excuse to get stoned because I'm going to do that one way or another whenever I feel the hankering for a little bit of ganja. That being the case, I don't think people should use it as an excuse. Nor should they isolate themselves from society and sit on their back porch baked for the rest of their lives. IMO though if you can sustain yourself through your own means I'm all for it. But I don't agree with those who waste away their days getting blazed and then turning to the government (who Rastafarians aren't supposed to involve themselves with) to remedy the problems brought on by joblessness and a lack of brain cells. I remain on the fence about the lifestyle, mostly because I think more people claim it than they do live it like they're supposed to (sounds like Christianity)... I appreciate the input Al.

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
Not a problem at all, my friend. The way I look at it, everybody's gonna have their vice in life. There should be no organized religion that says you can or can't do it, because the truth of the matter is that it makes you happy and for certain people it's different (smoking dope, shooting hoops, riding four wheelers, the list goes on). But even than, we do have to put ourselves through some degree of suffering in order to achieve the true success we want. Those who sit all day around and get stoned all day have no motivation to put themselves through that suffering and as a result.. they go nowhere. So I believe people who view that as a "lifestyle" have some other mental issues they have to assess so that they can go out and enjoy what life is really based off of. (Love is the most powerful thing in the world, that's where I tend to look at people)