Phil Davis on Rashad Evans: 'I Think I'm Better'

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
scaled_php_large.jpg
Undefeated UFC light heavyweight Phil Davis will tangle with former champion Rashad Evans in the main event at UFC 133, and he did an interview with Tatame recently that covered his views on the fight. Davis is generally soft-spoken and non-controversial, and this interview isn't going to change that perception much. He is pretty confident in his own abilities though. He also believes that a title shot would maybe be in his future with a win over Evans:

Do you think you’d get a title shot if you beat him?

Well, I’ll be pretty close to a title shot if I beat him, so I should be doing really well after this win.

"Mr. Wonderful" is complimentary towards his opponent, but at the end of the day he believes he's superior:

And do you see your chances against Rashad? Do you believe you have better Wrestling skills than him?

I think he has pretty good Wrestling for MMA, but I guess I’m a little bit kind of a better wrestler, but he’s good in mixing the strikes in Wrestling, so it’s not bad. But I think I’m better.

He also talks about current UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, who was originally scheduled to defend against Evans at UFC 133:

And talking about a possible bout in the future between you and Jon Jones… How do you see that?

It’s good because Jon Jones has only been winning fights, so, you know, he wins and it’s good because he’ll say: ‘this guys has won all of all of his fights too’, so he’s doing that comparison now… It’s good.

He also discusses who his favorite fighters are to watch, his fight with Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, and more. It seems like the interview was done in English, translated to Portuguese, and translated back to English. As someone who's seen more than my fair share of Phil Davis interviews...he doesn't talk like this. Either way, it gives some insight into his views on his opponent at UFC 133, which should be an excellent main event.