Peacock Lost $1.7 Billion in 2021

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Peacock Lost $1.7 Billion in 2021, More Than Double Year Prior; Comcast to Up Streamer’s Content Spending to $3 Billion This Year

Revenue for the NBCU streaming service hit $778 million in 2021, notched 9 million paying subscribers

UPDATED: NBCUniversal’s Peacock, entering its third year of operation, sank deeper into investment-mode red ink in 2021 — with adjusted losses at the streamer more than doubling. NBCU parent Comcast outlined plans to boost spending on Peacock content even more in 2022 and beyond.

Comcast, in reporting Q4 earnings Thursday, revealed that Peacock generated $778 million in revenue for the full-year 2021, with an adjusted loss of $1.7 billion. That’s compared with $118 million of revenue and an adjusted EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) loss of $663 million in 2020.

At the end of 2021, Peacock had 9 million paid subscribers, Comcast CEO Brian Roberts said on the earnings call — the first time the company has disclosed paying customers for the streamer. That base is approaching average revenue per subscriber of $10/month, including ad revenue. “And that’s without much focus on paid subscriber growth,” he said.

The company spent about $1.5 billion on content for Peacock in 2021 — and expects that to double this year, to $3 billion, CFO Michael Cavanagh said on the earnings call. Comcast hopes to boost that to $5 billion annually over the next several years, he added.

Comcast said Peacock had 24.5 million monthly active accounts in the U.S. at the end of the year, but the company hasn’t consistently reported that metric. It most recently said Peacock had “more than 20 million” monthly active accounts as of the end of Q2 2021.

The cable and media conglomerate disclosed the Peacock financials in reporting Q4 2021 earnings that topped Wall Street expectations.

NBCU first launched Peacock, which is available in a range free and premium subscription tiers, for Comcast cable subscribers in April 2020 and went nationwide across the U.S. in July of that year. Peacock has had to fight its way into the crowded streaming field, which in addition to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime Video now includes HBO Max, Disney Plus, Paramount Plus and more.

Peacock offers a free, ad-supported version, along with Peacock Premium ($4.99/month, includes ads) and Premium Plus ($9.99/month, no ads). Customers of Comcast and other partners are eligible to get the ad-supported Premium version for no additional cost.

Comcast execs previously told investors that it expected to invest about $2 billion in Peacock during 2020 and 2021. Over those two years, the adjusted net loss for Peacock was $2.36 billion. The company has projected Peacock will achieve the break-even point by 2025, but Cavanagh said that could be pushed out beyond the original expectation.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Looks like it's on schedule for what they wanted, better even since they were expected $2M in losses. I guess the plan is to buy up as much content as they can and then profit in a few years, revenues going up that high is a good sign but just depends on how much they keep spending. They have the superbowl this year too, idk how that might effect the numbers but probably makes this year or at least this quarter an anomaly to try and analyze compared to these numbers too, so might have to wait a bit to see what becomes regular operating numbers

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
The original title was even more editorialized so I do apologize if it still gives it a more negative connotation that the article itself. dat clickbait gonna get some views though :p

• Haha
Reactions: Chris

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Reactions: Chris

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Breakeven on 2025 sounds nice, I'd just be worried about the streaming bubble bursting but so far it seems the strongest are surviving fine together even with everyone and their mom trying to make one, we've already seen some being condensed like Peacock buying the Network for instance

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Breakeven on 2025 sounds nice, I'd just be worried about the streaming bubble bursting but so far it seems the strongest are surviving fine together even with everyone and their mom trying to make one, we've already seen some being condensed like Peacock buying the Network for instance
and to be fair, by 2025 the deal with wwe would be up for renewal yes? so as far as affecting WWE it shouldn't. maybe they find another place after this deal but as long as peacock survives until then, which seems like it will regardless if its losing money atm (which like you said makes perfect sense when acquiring content anyways)

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
and to be fair, by 2025 the deal with wwe would be up for renewal yes? so as far as affecting WWE it shouldn't. maybe they find another place after this deal but as long as peacock survives until then, which seems like it will regardless if its losing money atm (which like you said makes perfect sense when acquiring content anyways)

It was 5 years so 2025 or 2036 or so is when it runs yeah

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
2026 would be when the deal would be up, I think since they signed a five-year deal in 2021, but if anything, they will/may renewal it before then.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
2026 would be when the deal would be up, I think since they signed a five-year deal in 2021, but if anything, they will/may renewal it before then.
good point, probably can start renewal talk like on year 3 or 4 I'd imagine. With cable subscribers continuously dying WWE's value isn't exactly going to drop so I expect them to get even more next time

Reactions: Alexa

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
good point, probably can start renewal talk like on year 3 or 4 I'd imagine. With cable subscribers continuously dying WWE's value isn't exactly going to drop so I expect them to get even more next time
Yeah, that would be my best as well like around 2025 or even 2024 they will begin talks so. Fair point on the cable thing, but yeah WWE's value will either be a bit lower than before or worth a bit more just kind of depending.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Yeah, that would be my best as well like around 2025 or even 2024 they will begin talks so. Fair point on the cable thing, but yeah WWE's value will either be a bit lower than before or worth a bit more just kind of depending.
or they sell to disney and it goes on there. which is always a rumor swirling. can't see it being any time soon though, still plenty of costs to cut and content to produce

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
or they sell to disney and it goes on there. which is always a rumor swirling. can't see it being any time soon though, still plenty of costs to cut and content to produce
Screw it, I want to see WWE owned by Disney. That would make Alexa Bliss and all Disney Princesses and such, lol, and make WWE cannon in the MCU. But yeah, jokes aside, I doubt that would ever happen given what disney is, and as you said cost, cuts, and all

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Screw it, I want to see WWE owned by Disney. That would make Alexa Bliss and all Disney Princesses and such, lol, and make WWE cannon in the MCU. But yeah, jokes aside, I doubt that would ever happen given what disney is, and as you said cost, cuts, and all

Roman Reigns cuts Thanos' head off with a superman punch. He grabs the Infinity Gauntlet and adjusts it around his wrist. He sneers and looks out to the booing Avengers.

" It's my multiverse now!"

Shield music intensifies

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
Roman Reigns cuts Thanos' head off with a superman punch. He grabs the Infinity Gauntlet and adjusts it around his wrist. He sneers and looks out to the booing Avengers.

" It's my multiverse now!"

Shield music intensifies
Love it

• Love

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg

WWE won’t even need to if Peacock doesn’t renew.

The Network still exists everywhere but the US.

They’ll just unlock it again in the US.