Note On WWE Covering Rehab Costs For Wrestlers Employed By Rival Promotions

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Buffy

The Vampire Slayer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
bretthart
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
WWE has reportedly covered the rehab costs for Impact Wrestling talents.

It was recently noted on Wrestling Observer Radio that WWE would pay for former talents to enter rehab, even if they were currently working for a rival promotion, such as Impact or AEW, because that is the nature of the program.

While it’s unclear if WWE has ever paid for any AEW talents to attend rehab, Dave Meltzer noted that WWE has paid for Impact wrestlers to undergo various rehab treatments.

WWE began distributing its rehabilitation assistance offer, titled “The WWE Former Talent Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Assistance Program,” to all former contracted talents back in September 2007. WWE has stated that the goal of the initiative is to help any former talent that may have a substance-related dependency problem, and that goes for wrestlers who may be working for other promotions when they need the help. WWE sends out an annual letter to all former talent notifying them of the program, and they have a confidential hotline where former talent can call and seek admittance to a certified treatment center, with all costs covered by WWE. The company also maintains regular contact with talent who have entered a rehab program or reached out to WWE for assistance.

There’s no word on updated numbers, but two years into the program, as of March 2009, 3.1% of former talents had accepted rehab assistance from WWE.
Source: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2...s-for-wrestlers-employed-by-rival-promotions/

That is very nice of them to help out former talent with their issues with drugs and alcohol abuse.

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Never considered it, but it makes sense with how I've heard how the program works. I assume they wouldn't pay for AEW talent bc they would simply not apply through the program if TK has his own shit to cover it but good to hear they aren't petty af with Impact

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I give them a lot of shit for somethings, but this is one of the few I give them praise for. Really nice of them to do this

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I'd be super curious to know if anyone from AEW has taken it up and whether they have a program or not.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
as of March 2009

sounds like rather dated information. Also for the record, the rumors that wwe paid for mox's current rehab has already been deemed false.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
as of March 2009

sounds like rather dated information. Also for the record, the rumors that wwe paid for mox's current rehab has already been deemed false.

Well the new news here is that they've paid for Impact contracted talent's rehab, not just indie-employed former talent. And I'd guess most if not all of those instances were after 2009 bc I kinda have a hard time believing they would have when they were still competitive lol I believe Thom Latimer was one of them off the top of my head but that's only cause he was just tweeting about his sobriety, timeline may be off as well and he may not have been with Impact whenever he went to rehab

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Well the new news here is that they've paid for Impact contracted talent's rehab, not just indie-employed former talent. And I'd guess most if not all of those instances were after 2009 bc I kinda have a hard time believing they would have when they were still competitive lol I believe Thom Latimer was one of them off the top of my head but that's only cause he was just tweeting about his sobriety, timeline may be off as well and he may not have been with Impact whenever he went to rehab
I see, I just didn't see any mention of recent talent in any of the quoted OP. Still nice they offer it to anyone though, but yeah I don't see any actual new facts here I guess

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
That 3.1% number is pretty sad now that I think about it, I know it's technically low but fuck that's too many people in one industry needing rehab, and this is just the ones that took it up

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I see, I just didn't see any mention of recent talent in any of the quoted OP. Still nice they offer it to anyone though, but yeah I don't see any actual new facts here I guess

The new facts are that Meltzer is saying they've paid for Impact talent lol unless he's lying, that's something never been reported

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
That 3.1% number is pretty sad now that I think about it, I know it's technically low but fuck that's too many people in one industry needing rehab, and this is just the ones that took it up
Yeah like that’s a low number, but not really low for one industry.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Oh I see, it's a very small line in there after mentioning aew. I'm gonna go ahead and say regardless there is about 0% they've paid for contracted AEW wrestlers still. The impact thing is surprising but I'm guessing it may have been when Impact were not so hot. unless impact just straight up are cheap/cant afford rehab

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf

quite honestly, 3% in the wrestling industry full of what we know happened in the 80s and 90s alone seems very low to me. but yes, its very very sad

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Oh I see, it's a very small line in there after mentioning aew. I'm gonna go ahead and say regardless there is about 0% they've paid for contracted AEW wrestlers still. The impact thing is surprising but I'm guessing it may have been when Impact were not so hot. unless impact just straight up are cheap/cant afford rehab
Impact literally never cared when they did have money about wrestler health, they let Jeff do Jeff things in the main event of a PPV, and now they might but I doubt they'd pay for anyone's themselves still on their budget. I'd be shocked if any AEW peoples have been paid for tho, I think Moxley would be the only one possible anyway unless there's some secret ones I forgot about

I just Googled bc i was curious tho and on page 1 I see Justin Credible, Dustin Rhodes, Shannon Moore, and Maven talking about how it saved their life.....and then Sunny talking about how they only paid for hers to make Linda McMahon look good :slip:

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Impact literally never cared when they did have money about wrestler health, they let Jeff do Jeff things in the main event of a PPV, and now they might but I doubt they'd pay for anyone's themselves still on their budget. I'd be shocked if any AEW peoples have been paid for tho, I think Moxley would be the only one possible anyway unless there's some secret ones I forgot about

I just Googled bc i was curious tho and on page 1 I see Justin Credible, Dustin Rhodes, Shannon Moore, and Maven talking about how it saved their life.....and then Sunny talking about how they only paid for hers to make Linda McMahon look good :slip:

Man thats fucking sad (from Impact perspective) thank fucking god WWE took some sort of moral responsibility. kind of makes me mad at Impact tbh, and your 100% right i didnt even think of Jeff hardy, and then there's the whole Angle thing too

Reactions: Chris

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
All that to say yes WWE does shady capitalist things but I would never accuse them of being shitty when it comes to other wrestlers health (outside that cm punk incident lol). they were pretty generous with the two kanellis's as well if were being real