New Japan Pro-Wrestling General Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jeffry Mason

Your Local Sports Team Sucks
Reaction score
Yeah, I already gave up and started listening to the nL Discord. Disappointed as well, but oh well. Been a decent show so far

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
Commentary and production started out real rough but got a little better as the night went on. The tag matches were all decent, my favorites of course being the G.o.D. Vs. War Machine and LIJ Vs. Liger and team CMLL. The singles matches were good-to-great. Overall I'd say this was a good showing from NJPW.

Cody Vs. Okada exceed my not so high expectations. After his match with Bad Luck Fale I was convinced Okada could get a good match out of practically anyone. Cody, for as good as a heel he is, just hasn't really done it for me in NJPW or the Indies. Fortunately they delivered an intense match. I really thought Cody would win for a second! Cody hitting a Rainmaker and Okada a Cross-rhodes! Then the stuff with him and Omega leading to a break up maybe? All in all good stuff.

...However I thought Elgin Vs. Omega was more entertaining, MOTN actually. Naito/Ishii wasn't too bad either. Juice Vs. Zack Saber Jr. Was actually lowkey really damn good. Sad my boy Juice didn't go over but hey! We get ZSJ Vs. Ishii.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
...I just want to say, after finishing the show... It's a shame that Okada and Omega are stealing so much shine right now. Good for them! They're doing so much to earn it and I'm proud of them...

But Hiromu Takahashi and Tomohiro Ishii are having such amazing years. And hot damn am I enjoying a lot of these guys being multi-faceted talents.
I really really like Ishii.

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
Holy shit Ibushi Vs. Naito was fucking great. I wouldn't expect anything less from these two legendary wrestlers. I'm so glad I stayed up to watch this live, I started to doze off during Tanahashi/ZSJ (a good match in it's own right) but then Naito's music got me back into it and I'm awake because I'm still marking out. Honestly my personal MOTY.

Overall night one was actually a fun time. The tag matches were good ( Favorite being Chaos Vs. Chaos) and the tournament matches were all solid, especially the main event.

KillerOrangeCat

Quiet You
Reaction score
Night one was definitely good and I agree that the MOTN was Ibushi vs Naito. They had great chemistry. But it was nice having a show where I felt entertained throughout the entire thing. It shows that my love for pro wrestling is still strong and it's just certain promotions that bug me.

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
Night one was definitely good and I agree that the MOTN was Ibushi vs Naito. They had great chemistry. But it was nice having a show where I felt entertained throughout the entire thing. It shows that my love for pro wrestling is still strong and it's just certain promotions that bug me.
Well, you have 18 more shows to feel like that. Plus there's always the indies, LU, GFW, other internationals...wrestling is at an all time high, you just gotta look in the right places. NJPW is definitely one of those places right now.

KillerOrangeCat

Quiet You
Reaction score
Well, you have 18 more shows to feel like that. Plus there's always the indies, LU, GFW, other internationals...wrestling is at an all time high, you just gotta look in the right places. NJPW is definitely one of those places right now.

Oh I watch a ton of wrestling. I started watching GFW again... was a huge fan of TNA from 2002 to 2010. I also watch LU, various NWA promotions, ROH, several independent promotions not NWA affiliated, Shine, All Japan, Dragon Gate, Noah. The guy in my avatar is a guy who has only been in ROH dark matches and in the NWA and other indies, Nick Iggy. If he wasn't there, it would be Okada.

People sort of get the impression that I'm a WWE diehard but honestly, out of all the promotions I watch, it's close to the bottom. New Japan is my favorite and I've have NJPW World since the day it became available. It's actually funny, I'm fluent in Japanese and the only reason I learned was because I wanted to understand Japanese commentators :emoji_slight_smile: But of course none of my wrestling fan friends speak it to so I can't talk about it in Japanese with anyone... cruel irony.

I really should post more in this section though. Most of the reason I watch WWE still is because I've been doing it since the late 1980s so it's sort of ingrained.

Reactions: Jeffry Mason

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
...I just want to say, after finishing the show... It's a shame that Okada and Omega are stealing so much shine right now. Good for them! They're doing so much to earn it and I'm proud of them...

But Hiromu Takahashi and Tomohiro Ishii are having such amazing years. And hot damn am I enjoying a lot of these guys being multi-faceted talents.
I really really like Ishii.
Ishii is love. Ishii is life.

maxresdefault.jpg

Jeffry Mason

Reaction score
Oh I watch a ton of wrestling. I started watching GFW again... was a huge fan of TNA from 2002 to 2010. I also watch LU, various NWA promotions, ROH, several independent promotions not NWA affiliated, Shine, All Japan, Dragon Gate, Noah. The guy in my avatar is a guy who has only been in ROH dark matches and in the NWA and other indies, Nick Iggy. If he wasn't there, it would be Okada.

People sort of get the impression that I'm a WWE diehard but honestly, out of all the promotions I watch, it's close to the bottom. New Japan is my favorite and I've have NJPW World since the day it became available. It's actually funny, I'm fluent in Japanese and the only reason I learned was because I wanted to understand Japanese commentators :emoji_slight_smile: But of course none of my wrestling fan friends speak it to so I can't talk about it in Japanese with anyone... cruel irony.

I really should post more in this section though. Most of the reason I watch WWE still is because I've been doing it since the late 1980s so it's sort of ingrained.
ROH and NWA promotions in 2017...you're a braver man than me, sir. Lol. I'm sure they're not all bad. And yeah, I'm kinda familiar with Iggy. Just saw him live a few weeks ago at Beyond in a tag against EYFBO actually. Didn't think I'd like the team as it just seemed like a Sinn Bodhi ripoff, but they were impressive.

Definitely always just assume you're a WWE guy. Nice to know that about you. And man, that's dedication. Just a ridiculous amount of dedication. I usually just watch with English fan-made commentary, cuz fuck Kevin Kelly lol. Good for you, though. I'm sure that would make travelling to Japan to see like a Wrestle Kingdom or FREEDOMS show a much better overall experience.

Definitely post in here more, dude. I like not being the old guy in the room lol, and I don't normally go to the WWE sections. Had watched WWE since the early 90's up until the Rumble of last year, so I definitely know what that's like. I just felt like enough is enough of trying to force myself to watch what, 7 hours of the most boring wrestling shows I've ever seen every week? Quitting WWE has freed up so much more time in my life, and I feel like it's possibly the best decision I've ever made

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
Thoughts after three nights of my first G1 climax :

Naito/Ibushi is the best tournament match so far. They've all been decent-to-great but that one really stands out to me. ZSJ/Ibushi was pretty damn good(WWE is stupid for not letting this match happen in the CWC but fuck it we got it in a better promotion), Suzuki/Omega really brutal match, really want Suzuki to pick up some steam in the tournament because he's becoming like one of my favorite guys. Another wrestler in this tournament to peak my interest is Satoshi Kojima, first time watching him and he's pretty cool. I'm gonna assume he's a AJPW guy? I really need to start watching AJPW ( and all the other promotions but like...accessibility).

Tanahashi wrestling with that arm how? This man is literally the super Cena of New Japan. GO ACE!

Yano is fucking hilarious and Okada looks so annoyed around him it's great. Speaking of Chaos, Ishii is best Chaos that isn't Okada.

Really love NJPW's faction system honestly can't praise it enough. So regimented and clean, allows for some easy storytelling and mark out moments. As far as I'm concerned LIJ> SZKGUN>BULLETCLUB>CHAOS>TAGUCHI JPN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bullet Club Hunters.

Yoshi-Hashi reminds me of Dolph Ziggler for some reason.

Reactions: Jeffry Mason

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2