Morgan Freeman to receive a Lifetime Acheivement Award @ Golden Globes

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kairi

Reaction score

Morgan Freeman to Receive Cecil B. DeMille Award for Lifetime Achievement at Golden Globes - Hollywood Reporter

Morgan Freeman to Receive Cecil B. DeMille Award for Lifetime Achievement at Golden Globes

The 74-year-old has given dozens of memorable film performances, winning one Oscar and one Golden Globe along the way.

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced Wednesday that actor Morgan Freeman will receive the Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement at the 69th annual Golden Globe Awards on Sunday, January 15. Actress Amy Adams (The Muppets) and writer/director Pedro Almodovar (The Skin I Live In) revelaed the news during a press conference.

The 74-year-old, whose booming voice has been likened to God's, made his film debut in 1964. In the years since, he has given memorable performances in dozens of critically and/or commercially successful films. Among the best known: Jerry Schatzberg's Street Smart (1987), Bruce Beresford's Driving Miss Daisy (1989), Edward Zwick's Glory (1989), Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven (1992), Frank Darabont's The Shawshank Redemption (1994), David Fincher's Se7en (1995), Steven Spielberg's Amistad (1997), Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby (2004), Ben Affleck's Gone Baby Gone (2007), Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight (2008), and Eastwood's Invictus (2009).

Freeman has received five Academy Award nominations and five Golden Globe nominations, winning the best supporting actor Oscar for Million Dollar Baby and the best actor (musical or comedy) Globe for Driving Miss Daisy.

Previous recipients of the honor, which is determined by the HFPA's board of directors, include Alfred Hitchcock, Lucille Ball, Sidney Poitier, Sophia Loren, Sean Connery, Barbra Streisand, Martin Scorsese, and, at last year's ceremony, Robert De Niro.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Not a big fan of lifetime Achievement Awards given to people still acting.

In my opinion it's like telling someone their best work is behind them and that they should just retire. Freeman is old and I can kind of see why they would do it so that he gets it while alive. But not a fan of someone still very active and very good at their craft receiving it.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Well when it comes to actors they never truly retire so you can't really wait for that or they'll be hooked up a oxygen tank trying to breath cause they are so old. And don't wanna wait for them to die just to give it to em since they obviously won't be there to even accept it.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Plenty of actors retire or at least have a period of stopping or slowing down. Connery, Redford, Heston, Eastwood (kinda) Just to name a small few. I mean look at last year they gave it to DeNiro and then he goes out and does Machete (and not even a good character in it) I guess what I'm saying is they need to try and time it with the actors down period which Freeman isn't really in quite yet.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
Hard to argue he doesn't deserve it and I like the idea of giving it to someone still alive that can relish in the moment. Kinda agree that it's kinda strange giving it to someone who still acts at a very high level but as I said clearly deserving recipient.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
He definitely deserves the award considering he seems to be in almost every movie that is released. He is a quality actor and certainly deserves to be recognised here. I don't mind living actors getting a lifetime achievement award but I do think it would be better to give it to someone that is basically finished acting in big roles. A good example was Peter O'Toole at the Oscars a few years back, he deserved a lifetime achievement award and I was fine with him getting it whilst he was still alive because he had basically retired from acting. I don't think Freeman will ever stop though so they may as well give it to him now.