Jon Jones Suspended and Title Stripped

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lackin

I'm a F'kn Mark - It's my real name.
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
zFgjY9e
UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has been stripped of his title effective immediately and is suspended from the promotion indefinitely.

UFC president Dana White made the announcement via "FOX Sports Live" on Tuesday night.

Jones was arrested on Monday in Albuquerque on allegations of leaving the scene of an accident, which is a felony charge in New Mexico due to one of the drivers suffering a fractured wrist and arm. The injured driver, later identified as Vanessa Sonnenberg, was taken to the hospital because she is pregnant and felt like she might pass out at the scene.

Jones was sought as a "person of interest" in the hit-and-run accident, but the Albuquerque police eventually upgraded him to a suspect before issuing a warrant for his arrest on felony charges for leaving the scene of an accident. Jones eventually surrendered to police on Monday before being released on $2,500 bond.

White said he finally spoke to Jones on Tuesday to get his side of the story before the promotion took any action against him.

"He didn't say a lot. Obviously, he's got to handle his legal proceedings," White said. "His lawyer didn't have him say much. What we wanted to find out is what the facts were. There's a lot of things that are being said out there about what happened that day, a lot of them are untrue, a lot of them are speculation, and we wanted to hear Jon's side of the story and we wanted to hear what his lawyer had to say about it."

Jones hasn't spoken publicly since the incident outside of a message he released on Twitter on Tuesday.

Once White got the information he required, the UFC moved swiftly to strip Jones of his light heavyweight title while suspending him indefinitely. Jones was set to face Anthony Johnson in the main event of UFC 187 before he was suspended. Now, Jones' hated rival Daniel Cormier will take his place in the May 23 fight as the new main event with the light heavyweight title on the line.

"Obviously he's very disappointed," White said. "He's upset, he wanted to go down as one of the greatest ever, but it is what it is. It was the decision we had to make."

As far as Jones' future with the UFC, that remains up the air.

Under the UFC's code of conduct policy, the promotion has the right to suspend Jones indefinitely for behavior detrimental to the organization. UFC officials haven't placed a time limit on how long Jones will remain suspended or indicated if he'll ever fight in the Octagon again.

"I don't now what's going to happen," White said candidly. "We have suspended him indefinitely. Obviously he needs to focus on his legal matters."

According to the police report, Jones was identified at the scene of the accident by an off-duty police officer who witnessed the three-car crash. Paperwork belonging to "Jonathan Jones" was found in the vehicle he was driving along with a marijuana pipe with marijuana in it.

The District Attorney from Bernalillo Count has 60 days to take Jones' case before the grand jury to seek an indictment against the fighter. The felony charges carry a penalty of up to three years in prison.

When I read about the hit and run accident it was obvious this was going to happen.
It seams the only person that can ruin Jones's reputation is himself.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
. . . So interested to see how this plays out.. SHIT!!! Jon Jones is so dank to watch.. fuck! I wonder man.. shit this is the perfect time to let Rumble get his shot!

Z.T.O

The Showoff
Reaction score
Website
vimeo.com
Saddened by the news but the guy has to learn. This guy just doesn't know when to stop being an idiot. Your probably the greatest fighter of all time, seems like he's doing everything to prevent that from happening.

With all that being said tho he's still my favorite fighter but can't deny the guy is an idiot lol.

But all of these instances is jeopardizing his career and it'd be a shame if it were to end like this. I hope he gets all the help and support he needs.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
I wanted him to get his ass kicked in a fight, not by life, but either way, fuck Jon Jones.

Majour

Filthy Creep
Reaction score
I figured the UFC would try and find a way to protect him somehow, glad that they treated him like he was any other fighter- guy has to learn to stop being an asshole.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Eh, he isn't any other fighter though. I wish they would have let the Rumble fight continue anyway, not like the UFC has any class/morals or reputation to uphold. Plus with all these distractions Jones would have gotten brutally KO'd, what better punishment for being the world's biggest piece of shit?

Majour

Filthy Creep
Reaction score
Eh, he isn't any other fighter though. I wish they would have let the Rumble fight continue anyway, not like the UFC has any class/morals or reputation to uphold. Plus with all these distractions Jones would have gotten brutally KO'd, what better punishment for being the world's biggest piece of shit?

The whole 'but he isn't any other fighter' bs is the reason why he pulls stupid crap- because he knew that people would play that card. I'm not denying that he isn't extremely talented at what he does, but why should that excuse his behaviour?

And why should he be allowed to continue to fight right now? Sure I'd love nothing more than to see him get killed in the octagon, but that pretty much just excuses his behaviour again. Let's be honest, at worst he'll get fines, but no jail time. So they'll probably forgive him and let him back once the legal stuff is done.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
The whole 'but he isn't any other fighter' bs is the reason why he pulls stupid crap- because he knew that people would play that card. I'm not denying that he isn't extremely talented at what he does, but why should that excuse his behaviour?

And why should he be allowed to continue to fight right now? Sure I'd love nothing more than to see him get killed in the octagon, but that pretty much just excuses his behaviour again. Let's be honest, at worst he'll get fines, but no jail time. So they'll probably forgive him and let him back once the legal stuff is done.
The UFC is a business and Jones = money. I disagree that the UFC being lenient is why he does stupid stuff. He would do it regardless. He is just a dumbass. He isn't going to "get his shit together". He is just genuinely a horrible human being. A person who makes mistakes doesn't act like a complete piece of shit. Jones did drugs, disobeyed traffic laws, smashed into a pregnant woman, injured her, and his first thought was "I gotta get the fuck out of here". His second thought was "oh fuck, forgot my money in my car"

A lot of the time people who are great at certain things that garner them admiration are actually horrible horrible people. People want to tell me to boycott the Floyd Mayweather fight because he has a history of domestic violence. Guess what? I don't really care about Floyd outside of the ring, I admire him for his amazing boxing technique and will watch any time he fights. That doesn't mean I like him as a person or put him on a pedestal like most people do with celebrities. I simply recognize he is human and separate the man outside the ring from inside. Him being a piece of shit doesn't make watching him box any less spectacular.

For Jones, why excuse his behavior? Because this is the UFC. People are always going to look at it as illegitimate and barbaric. They don't have a great reputation to begin with and letting Jones fight isn't going to lose them any reputation points. This is cage fighting. I don't really give a shit if the guys in the cage aren't gentlemen. They can be the worst people in the world but I'm just here to watch a fight, not have them teach children how to live their life.

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
bonesbehindbars.gif