How To Enjoy Wrestling

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

IndyWrestler2

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I've wanted to write something like this for a while. Its been pissing me off how ignorant people are when it comes to wrestling, and I figure it needs instructions. And it might end up kind of a rant, but whatever, we're all wrestling fans, read it if you are interested, don't read it if you don't want to.

As an actual pro wrestler, not only does it annoy me, but it hurts my feelings how ignorant most people are towards sports-entertainment. I know the subject doesn't seem like a big deal, who cares about wrestling, why would anybody get their knickers in a twist about that? Well, wrestlers first of all. They're the people who grew up fans, loving wrestling enough to make it their entire life. Because believe me, if you want to be a wrestler, you HAVE TO make it your entire life. And for every childhood fan who was tough enough to make it to the dance, there is probably 50 childhood fans who cried when Owen Hart and Eddie Guerrero died, who never had the money to train, or didn't live close enough to a training facility, or had another thing going enough to not make wrestling their entire life, but merely stay a fan.

Is wrestling fake? Yes. Is Star Wars fake? Very. Whats the difference between wrestling and Star Wars? Lightsabers. I'm sure you've all seen Beyond the Mat. In it, Vince says, "We make movies." Thats exactly how you need to look at wrestling. You can't watch wrestling the same way you watch a sport, because it isn't a sport. They don't try to sell it to you as a sport, look at the name, sports-entertainment. World Wrestling ENTERTAINMENT! You watch wrestling the same way you would watch Prison Break or 24 or Saved by the Bell. You connect with the characters, you want to see that cocky bastard Randy Orton get his ass kicked next week by somebody huge, you want to see Shawn Michaels win a last title, make Raw great again, and send Cena the hell to Smackdown or something. You want to follow the story lines, you want to know who the hell that other guy in the Kane mask is, you want to know if Edge is gonna cash in the Money In The Bank like last time when nobody sees it coming and win the title again. The only difference is that there's no couple months between seasons where they stop making new ones like sitcoms or other shows.

People don't know anything about wrestling. Really. NOTHING. In the last little while, I've sort of conducted a personal survey with my friends. I asked a few girls who had never watched wrestling why they didn't watch wrestling. They pretty much said men in speedos hitting eachother with pre-broken chairs wasn't their thing. I can't believe people still think thats all wrestling is! Two other girls I know both tried watching wrestling three times each, as a sort of other "experiment" (Girls trying watching wrestling three times and you'll get into it, no matter what you think before hand because you'll either have a crush on John Cena and Randy Orton, or you're genuinely into it.), and BOTH of them got into wrestling, and follow it regularly! The way most people think of wrestling to me is the exact same as the kids who hate broccoli because it looks gross, but have never tried it... but still refuse to try it. Its called "suspended disbelief." Its the same reason you don't sit with your arms crossed, rolling your eyes at Billy Madison or Seinfeld because it obviously would never happen, but you still enjoy it.

Wrestling isn't a sport, they're not trying to present a sport, they make movies, watch it like a two hour movie where there's a new sequel every week.

Alright, I'm satisfied with that I've done here. (Thats what she said.) I don't care if you read this or not, comment or not, I'm just happy I got that off my chest. Peace out.

Soulpower

I pretty much agree with everything you said.... I had dreams of being a wrestler long ago (going as far as starting to train) and even as a fan its bothered me to hear people say its fake. I've seen people break their necks, tear their quads, some have even ended up being paralyzed in this "fake business".

But as time has passed I've learned to ignore all of them and on the rare occasion that I choose to answer them, my answer is similar to yours.... Eveything else on tv is fake as well. And like you said unlike baseball, basketball, football payers etc, the wrestler don't get an offseason. For that alone they at least deserve people's respect.

MikeRaw

Ya that's true man and I was thinking the same thing last night.When people watch like some movie like James Bond or star trek or something that is not real and is fiction,they arent like "this is stupid i am not watching this cause t's fake"...They just watch it and enjoy it,but when it comesto wrestling people think it's stupid because it's not a sport and because it's no real.Well guys,neither is star wars!So ya I agree with what you said,just think of it like a soap opera,show or movie...

The Icon

Reaction score
Absolutely true, thanks for sharing this article with us. I completely agree with you. Some people thinks it's gay because they are semi-naked, but I say what about the divas? and people still hate Wrestling. It's just for entertainment. :mad_1:

Defiant One

Reaction score
^^agree with whats already been said, I love wrestling always have always will. Everything isnt for everybody, but that does bother me when people say its fake and what not. I dont have the energy to debate that with them anymore, I just tell them yeah they know whats going on in the ring but there is nothing fake about working year-round, being away from your family, and broken bones. Some people are just dumb. Like I said its not for everyone, but dont tell me its fake.

the dark knight

IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT IGNORANT PEOPLE SAY!!!

i completely agree with u mate. but i use rocky instead of star wars. its the same but rocky is a boxer.

newcreature

Reaction score
What drives me crazy is when people who watch sports mostly, say that wrestlers aren't athletes. I go bonkers when someone says that. These guys travel all the time and are working damn near every night. And the main event guys are the biggest athletes of all. They have to do fifteen-twenty minute matches sometimes, plus there's usually a dark match after the show. And it may be fake but some of the stuff they do still hurts like hell. You can't tell me those Ric Flair chops don't hurt. Especially after you've been hit with four or five already. These guys work twice as much as any baseball or football player and barely get to see their family, and people have the balls to call them actors. They are some of the finest athletes around and have my eternal respect. It's something I wish I could do but I'm just not psyhically able.

Reaction score
Nice post , I agree.
I hate it when this happens...
For example : I'm looking through youtube at random matches , and you have a comment from a random yob saying "Uh Thats soo gay and fake , its fake fake fake how can you watch it"?
Shut up! - Yes the story's are fake Matt Hardy and Edge don't hate each other in life , well done!!!
It annoys me so much when they say "All the moves are fake".
Yes the moves are fake that why sometimes they bleed real blood intentionly or not , sometimes they keep a peice of glass bandagded up and cut themselves on the forehead to bleed.(Says so in Jeff's biography)...

How can you just sit back and watch Mick Foley getting slammed on Thum Taks and say "fAKE!" - If you think that then your blind...

Now when people say these arnt athletes , that !really! annoys me!
How can you say that when you have footballers (Soccer) Getting paid millions and when they get a slight push they will roll around on the floor holding their leg?
But if something accidental happens in Wrestling , they usally carry on the match.

♥peaceandlove.♥

Reaction score
well said. i've always thought of wrestling as the greatest performance art on the planet.

Montana

Thats not how you enjoy it....

Grab a cold one, a snack, and call a few friends.

Well another way.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
good point when you were talking about telling some people about watching wrestling. I used to be like that too, the only thing I knew was that it was "fake" and it was just a bunch of guys half naked fighting over stupid stuff. When I actually got to watch one show, I was hooked instantly. The athleticism of the guys, the feuds, and the big time feel made me like "Wow, this really isn't that bad". It's just like anything else, you have to try it to see how it really is.

Rated PG-13

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I've wanted to write something like this for a while. Its been pissing me off how ignorant people are when it comes to wrestling, and I figure it needs instructions. And it might end up kind of a rant, but whatever, we're all wrestling fans, read it if you are interested, don't read it if you don't want to.

As an actual pro wrestler, not only does it annoy me, but it hurts my feelings how ignorant most people are towards sports-entertainment. I know the subject doesn't seem like a big deal, who cares about wrestling, why would anybody get their knickers in a twist about that? Well, wrestlers first of all. They're the people who grew up fans, loving wrestling enough to make it their entire life. Because believe me, if you want to be a wrestler, you HAVE TO make it your entire life. And for every childhood fan who was tough enough to make it to the dance, there is probably 50 childhood fans who cried when Owen Hart and Eddie Guerrero died, who never had the money to train, or didn't live close enough to a training facility, or had another thing going enough to not make wrestling their entire life, but merely stay a fan.

Is wrestling fake? Yes. Is Star Wars fake? Very. Whats the difference between wrestling and Star Wars? Lightsabers. I'm sure you've all seen Beyond the Mat. In it, Vince says, "We make movies." Thats exactly how you need to look at wrestling. You can't watch wrestling the same way you watch a sport, because it isn't a sport. They don't try to sell it to you as a sport, look at the name, sports-entertainment. World Wrestling ENTERTAINMENT! You watch wrestling the same way you would watch Prison Break or 24 or Saved by the Bell. You connect with the characters, you want to see that cocky bastard Randy Orton get his ass kicked next week by somebody huge, you want to see Shawn Michaels win a last title, make Raw great again, and send Cena the hell to Smackdown or something. You want to follow the story lines, you want to know who the hell that other guy in the Kane mask is, you want to know if Edge is gonna cash in the Money In The Bank like last time when nobody sees it coming and win the title again. The only difference is that there's no couple months between seasons where they stop making new ones like sitcoms or other shows.

People don't know anything about wrestling. Really. NOTHING. In the last little while, I've sort of conducted a personal survey with my friends. I asked a few girls who had never watched wrestling why they didn't watch wrestling. They pretty much said men in speedos hitting eachother with pre-broken chairs wasn't their thing. I can't believe people still think thats all wrestling is! Two other girls I know both tried watching wrestling three times each, as a sort of other "experiment" (Girls trying watching wrestling three times and you'll get into it, no matter what you think before hand because you'll either have a crush on John Cena and Randy Orton, or you're genuinely into it.), and BOTH of them got into wrestling, and follow it regularly! The way most people think of wrestling to me is the exact same as the kids who hate broccoli because it looks gross, but have never tried it... but still refuse to try it. Its called "suspended disbelief." Its the same reason you don't sit with your arms crossed, rolling your eyes at Billy Madison or Seinfeld because it obviously would never happen, but you still enjoy it.

Wrestling isn't a sport, they're not trying to present a sport, they make movies, watch it like a two hour movie where there's a new sequel every week.

Alright, I'm satisfied with that I've done here. (Thats what she said.) I don't care if you read this or not, comment or not, I'm just happy I got that off my chest. Peace out.

Definately agree with you man. I'm sick of all the people at my school that make fun of me because I watch wrestling, if they don't like that's their choice but for me wrestling (next to hockey) is my life. Even though it is fake the wrestlers go out there every night and work there asses off just to pull off the moves they do even if it's fake because it takes a lot of athletacism to do what they do.

Oh and about the broccoli thing....I've tried it and still don't like it :p