Fuji reviews The Purge

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
The Purge

In an America wracked by crime, the government has sanctioned an annual 12-hour period in which any and all criminal activity, including murder, becomes legal. This night, known as The Purge, is when the citizenry regulates itself without thought of punishment. When an intruder breaks into James Sandin's gated community during the yearly lockdown, he begins a sequence of events that threatens to tear their family apart. Now, it is up to James, his wife, Mary, and their kids to make it through the night without turning into the monsters from whom they hide.

The Purge, released in 2013 and out on video today (total coincidence) can in many ways be considered the antithesis to yesterday’s film, Antiviral. In that piece, the director chose to portray a satirical vision of a society that could most likely never be. Here, the director not only makes it known that this is indeed a fatalistic view of our own future, he doesn’t attempt to make it satirical in the slightest. Rather, The Purge is an uppercut to the jaw, devoid of any form of subtlety in its dark and dire vision of the future. Sure things may never get as bad for us as they’re made out to be in the film, but the simple truth is that with more and more over-population and class struggles, there will be a further need for a new kind of law and order. The film not so delicately attempts to answer the question as to what that law and order will be by painting a portrait of a society that has essentially folded in upon itself. Here, everyone is friendly with each other while secretly harboring all the feelings that we’re told are wrong. Envy, hate, lust; they’re all shown in spades, as if somehow Dante’s Inferno has managed to become a reality here on Earth itself yet somehow remains hidden save for 12 hours a year. Not so much a horror film as a gritty thriller, a cautionary tale of a future that may not be too far away, The Purge is a lot smarter than it appears to be on the surface and a lot scarier as well.

"Could these be YOUR neighbours?"

The Purge is directed by James DeMonaco, who also wrote the screenplay. His previous works include the screenplay for 1998’s The Negotiator (excellent little thriller), the 2005 remake of Assault on Precinct 13 and the 2009 film Little New York (his directorial debut as well). Considering this is only his second effort behind the camera, DeMonaco shows a remarkable level of maturity as a filmmaker and a strong sense of both style and pacing. While I was concerned that this was simply going to be another hack and slash home invasion film, DeMonaco quickly dispelled those fears by focusing on strong characterization and storytelling. It’s not a surprise that he was a writer before becoming a director, as his emphasis on scenario and dialogue is prevalent throughout this film. At times it tends to become a bit heavy-handed, but one thing DeMonaco is not guilty of is allowing things to fall into the category of terminal cliché. He really makes the most of his characters here, allowing each a chance to firmly develop into more than just typical horror film caricatures. The end result is a group of people that we seem to understand and more importantly empathize with. This is the key element to a successful horror film, and while he may still be a little wet behind the ears, DeMonaco understands and exploits this to maximum effect throughout.

"Suddenly I heard a tapping, as if someone gently rapping...at my window slot."

Ethan Hawke is cast in the main role of James Sandin and it should come as no surprise since he also appeared in both Assault on Precinct 13 and Little New York. Clearly DeMonaco’s a fan, though Hawke has also begun to scratch out a niche in the horror genre if 2012’s Sinister is any indication. Here he is near-perfect as the workaholic father who is trying to do right by his family while also making as much money as possible in order to safely secure them during the Purge. I’ve always felt Hawke has made some odd career choices throughout the years, but he’s really good in these horror pictures, so here’s hoping he decides to make more in the next little while. Lena Heady (Cersei Lannister in Game of Thrones) portrays his wife, Mary, and aside from looking extra hot with dark hair, does a good job in the role of “first frightened, then full of resolve†that many female characters take in these films. The two children, played by Max Burkholder and Adelaide Kane, are both believable in their roles and play more of a part than just window dressing or objects to be threatened by the bad guys. Speaking of the bad guys, the standout here is clearly Rhys Wakefield, who is named Polite Leader but is anything but. This guy is downright creepy and a really big part of why the film is so unsettling. His entire demeanor makes you think that anyone is capable of violence in this world that DeMonaco has created, and Wakefield does an excellent job getting that point across nicely.

"The Purge in all it's glory...yep, looks like society is doing just fine."

While the film transcends the typical horror plot of people invading a home and the owners fighting back, it does have a tendency to drown in its own excesses once the people actually do get inside the house. Prior to that, what we have is a gripping morality play and one that is properly realized in a short period of time. Imagine yourself in the shoes of the Sandin family? Would you kick a man out of your home (most likely to his eventual demise) to save yourself? I’m sure a lot of people would say no, in some attempt to prove their moral superiority, but the simple fact remains that we are all interested in self-preservation and the safety of our flock. Personally, I don’t know what I’d do, but I’m not about to say I’d definitely take the moral high road and put my family at risk for a stranger, it’s just not how I roll. Anyhow, this moral dilemma is at the heart of the film and makes it all the more gripping; at least until the standard horror stuff begins anew. Towards the end, another interesting and bitingly sarcastic thing takes place when some of the Sandin’s neighbours save them only to then attempt to murder them out of jealousy over their wealth. Never mind that the Sandin’s are wealthy because they sold these people security systems, thereby making them safe during the Purge; they don’t care because their base envy has shone through. In reality, although the Purge is supposed to make things better, it has really done nothing to curb the hypocrisy of the masses, as evidenced by these individuals willingness to kill. This is the strongest message The Purge delivers; no one is above reproach and no one ever will be. 7.5/10

"Tomorrow...he's a maniac, maniac on the floor, and he's killing like he's never killed before."

Castiel

Reaction score
Really enjoyed this review. I was initially looking forward to the movie but kept hearing bad things so I got turned off of it. With this review, I plan on watching it tonight honestly. I liked the Assault remake a lot so I'm glad the writer did this script as well and I'm interested to see him direct since I've never seen Little New York. Sounds like he's got a really good head on his shoulders. Like yesterdays review, this looks like a truly interesting concept but done in more of a style that interests me. Great work!

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
I have looked at this one too a couple of times.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Castiel said:
Really enjoyed this review. I was initially looking forward to the movie but kept hearing bad things so I got turned off of it. With this review, I plan on watching it tonight honestly. I liked the Assault remake a lot so I'm glad the writer did this script as well and I'm interested to see him direct since I've never seen Little New York. Sounds like he's got a really good head on his shoulders. Like yesterdays review, this looks like a truly interesting concept but done in more of a style that interests me. Great work!
Thanks, and if you do check it out be sure to let me know what you think. It's a bit lofty for a horror movie and it doesn't always work, but when it does it's pretty damn effective. You should look for Little New York as well, it's pretty underrated.

Wang Chung said:
I have looked at this one too a couple of times.
I think you should watch it and let me know what you think.

Castiel

Reaction score
Just finished it and thank you for review it because I don't think I would've gotten around to it if not. You're definitely right about Rhys Wakefield, he was insanely creepy. I liked that they wore masks, they added a nice creepy factor but I'm also glad he didn't keep his because his face was much more suitable. Also, most masked horror characters are known to be silent and angry but the change for these characters to be so joyful and laughing was excellent. It was also nice to see Tony Oller since I really enjoyed Beneath The Darkness, not sure if you've seen it or not but it's on Netflix. But anyway, I should probably put a spoiler tag for this next part...

How the hell did he plan to kill her dad and still have Zoey love him? That's just beyond me. It was way too obvious that was his plan as well, though I figured at first he would just be used as bait by the psychos but this fit much better.

I like that the trigger was pulled with no shenanigans on the death of Ethan Hawke's character too. Rare to see but DeMonaco doesn't seem to be afraid to kill characters, which is a good. It's interesting to see that he literally had to give his life for a stranger when he decided not to surrender him.