Drew McIntyre - How to get him over

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
On September 25 last year on Smackdown, Vince Mcmahon (in character) cut a promo saying that Drew McIntyre was a future world champion hat he had personally signed. Since then he has recevied a massive push on the back of that; receiving many PPV matches, winning the Intercontinental title and having the link to McMahon regularly mentioned.

Surely this guy should be the biggest heel on Smackdown by now? He has received the choice push that any heel would want and it should have been a surefire way to get this guy over yet he doesn't seem to be getting that much heat from the fans. To me he seems a bit bland and a bit boring with his promos and his inring work isn't that special. I don't doubt that he will be a major player in the coming years in WWE but he needs a change to get him more heel heat.

What he is currently doing isn't working as well as it should be so what would you change to get him really over and get huge levels of heel heat directed his way each time he comes to the ring?

XenForo-Test

Reaction score
I think, and this may sound a bit racist, but I think that Drew being Scottish is actually harming his credibility in the long run. If he showed the same aggression as an American, I reckon he'd be, at the very least, semi main. Why? Because he would connect with the crowd a whole lot more. People aren't sure what to think of this weirdly accented young man.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I think that him being Scottish does play a factor however normally it does lead people to boo a wrestler simply because they are a foreigner. In his promos I just think he needs to put a bit more in, currently he is a bit reserved and a bit quiet. A bit more aggression into his promos and it will do him a world of good. His feud with Matt Hardy will help him though since Matt is a real crowd favourite. Eventually he should get the boos that will reflect the size of his push.

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
I think it may be because of his attitude aswell. He seems really cock just because vince endorsed him. If Drew was all anti American I believe that would also create a good persona for him because well Americans hate being slagged off ect.

Sam

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
bige
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
williamregal
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
arnanderson
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
I reckon it's because his in-ring work at the moment could put a guy to sleep... they've neutured him, if you see his work from the British Independant Scene, then you'll see not only did he have a different character, but also a much wider moveset, more techincal than the usual Orton-esque punchy kicky stuff. I feel that holds him back in regards to getting heat, his in ring work is simply boring.

As for the accent... his accent is pretty close to mine actually, and I have no trouble understanding obviously, but it does take a while to relate to it if your from America or Canada or something. The anti-american gimmick is overdone, we've seen it from Regal, we've seen it from Lance Storm... Kozlov... even Bret Hart... but really, it would help get him over as young Joseph above me stated, so that might be the road they go down, I hope not though, I'd rather see Drew take on a sort of 'un-hinged madman' persona and start beating people down like he has done before, but just more often, 'cept this time target someone more over than Finlay... Hardy's a good start, and hopefully Drew can build off that to get himself some heat and prove that's he's actually a very good talent.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I think it may be because of his attitude aswell. He seems really cock just because vince endorsed him. If Drew was all anti American I believe that would also create a good persona for him because well Americans hate being slagged off ect.

He does act very cocky and although it is required for the gimmick it doesn't come across well. Maybe being hand-picked by Vince makes the crowd just dislike and ignore him since people never like it when someone is handed something so easily.

I reckon it's because his in-ring work at the moment could put a guy to sleep... they've neutured him, if you see his work from the British Independant Scene, then you'll see not only did he have a different character, but also a much wider moveset, more techincal than the usual Orton-esque punchy kicky stuff. I feel that holds him back in regards to getting heat, his in ring work is simply boring.

As for the accent... his accent is pretty close to mine actually, and I have no trouble understanding obviously, but it does take a while to relate to it if your from America or Canada or something. The anti-american gimmick is overdone, we've seen it from Regal, we've seen it from Lance Storm... Kozlov... even Bret Hart... but really, it would help get him over as young Joseph above me stated, so that might be the road they go down, I hope not though, I'd rather see Drew take on a sort of 'un-hinged madman' persona and start beating people down like he has done before, but just more often, 'cept this time target someone more over than Finlay... Hardy's a good start, and hopefully Drew can build off that to get himself some heat and prove that's he's actually a very good talent.

His in-ring style isn't the most exciting as you said and some more impact moves would be beneficial in my mind. He is a big guy so give him a few more power moves to add to his moveset to draw the audience in more. The anti-american gimmick is overdone and I like you wouldn't want to see it used too much again. I like the idea of the un-hinged madman Hardy is a good start and if he continues to do that on some other wrestlers it may help is cause.

Puertorique

Reaction score
Well he is most likely going to get put over by Matt Hardy, after that have him team up with William Regal and go against Koslov/Santino. He get's a small push after that then you put him in a angle with someone like Evan Bourne, build him up the right way. He is still young, no need to rush him, but push him the right way and it can work.