Dare I watch every TNA PPV ever?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
...probably not.

But you know these are crazy times and do the current state of things, I have so much fucking time on my hands I don't know what to do with it.

On a whim, I decided to watch Victory Road 2004 on the award winning Impact Plus app and now I've decided to just truck along and keep watching all the monthly PPVs from here on out. Will I make it through their full catalogue? See the first line for the answer to that question.

It never hurts to try though.

I don't plan on giving full length reviews with star ratings and all that because at that point, it kind of becomes work. I'm just going to watch the shows, drop some thoughts and give my overall opinion on the shows mostly. At least that's the plan. Some shows might get a more thorough review, and then again they may not. There's no rules to this shit!

turning-point-01.jpg

Last edited:

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Do it, dawg

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Start with the weeklies you coward

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
victoryroad.jpg

VICTORY ROAD 2004!
The first monthly PPV in TNA history. They were previously doing weekly PPVs in lieu of any major TV shows but since Impact! was heading to Fox Sports Network, they made the move to pivot to monthly PPVs.

First of all, I have to go ahead and establish right off the bat how much I love this era of TNA's presentation. Looking back now, it definitely feels dated but it was 16 years ago, what the fuck do you expect? Anyways, the whole vibe to me still feels very "regional". At this point, they are definitely pretty well known across America but they still have that strong southern feeling to them. It's probably due to them not having a shit load of money. Also, I said it in the shoutbox, but Don West and Mike Tenay are maybe my favorite announce team ever, rivaled only by Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler. And keep in mind when I say that, that I was born in 1996 so I never experienced teams like Heenan and Monsoon and what not. I've watched shows they've called but the fact that I actually experienced these other teams while they were around gives them an edge. Anyways...

First match is an X Division gauntlet with a lot of familiar faces. Some I didn't expect to see in TNA in 2004. Matt Sydal in particular stands out. Dude looks like he's 14 years old in there. TJP makes an appearance as well as the masked Puma. Shark Boy's in there. Chris Sabin. Alex Shelley. Brian Kendrick as Spanky. Definitely wasn't expecting to see him here. And there's also Hector Garza, uncle of the greatest wrestler in history, Angel Garza. The match honestly feels too long. It's not like anyone in this match is a big name to keep you really invested. In the end, Garza gets the win. So I mean... that's pretty unspectacular stuff. There were some good spots and everything but it felt like nothing was at stake.

I was surprised by some of the names featured in that X Division gauntlet but I was REALLY surprised to see Johnny B. fucking Badd wrestling in the next match. And the audacity of the commentators to try to depict him as some legendary figure. Yeesh. Killings, Badd, Erik Watts and Simon Diamond beat Dallas, Kid Kash and The Naturals, not that it matters.

Lucha mini match follows. It is what it is.

Konnan and BG James then defeat Bobby Roode and Eric Young to win the tag team titles. This is apparently a pretty long running feud but you wouldn't really get that sense from the match. There's not a big "hook" to it or any hatred on display. I like 3 Live Kru a lot, but at this point in time, the one member of it that is worth watching in the ring is Killings, and he isn't a part of this so... average match there.

Next we have Piper's Pit with Roddy Piper and Jimmy Snuka. The thing is... the second half of 2004 wasn't that awesome in WWE. I mean, don't get me wrong, there was plenty of good, but they had cooled off from earlier in the year. Anyways, having said that, you're TNA and you want to become the alternative and close the gap with WWE (who by the way you dedicate a decent amount of air time taking shots at), and you decide on your big first monthly PPV to rehash a WWE segment from 20 years prior? Come the fuck on. Anyways the whole thing here is that Piper wants Snuka to hit him with a coconut to even the score. Kid Kash interrupts and it turns into a brawl, featuring Michael Shane and Kazarian giving Kash back up until Dutt comes out to make the save for the legends. I mean, I'm certainly not interested by Kid Kash and Sonjay Dutt but at least the younger talents got a little something out of it.

Trinity next wrestles the debuting Jacqueline and that's a thing that happened.

Alright now this next match actually renewed my interest. Man, I was really ready to check out by this point. But next up is Monty Brown vs. Abyss vs. Raven in a Monster's Ball match. The rules to the match are appropriate in this day and age since the competitors have to be sequestered without food or water for 24 hours prior to the match. I'm not going to lie and tell you this was some awesome brawl but compared to everything that's happened so far, it is easily the most fascinating match so far. As I watch through these PPVs I am reminded how good of a complete package Monty Brown was. Not only did he have the legit NFL background, an awesome physique and a dope ass finisher but he could actually cut a good promo too. I don't think we ever got to see if he could work a legit 20 minute main event with drama and psychology (guess I'll figure that out eventually) but I wouldn't doubt him. Anyways, the big moment of this match is when Abyss tries to superplex Brown off the top, but Raven comes in and powerbombs Abyss onto the thumbtacks. Always a fun time. The match ends with Monty pouncing Raven through a table, which was also cool.

Now for one of the most pushed matches on the card: Petey Williams vs. AJ Styles for the X Division Championship. Petey is champ heading in. Now you figure given by this point AJ was already one of the biggest things TNA had going, he was surely a shoe-in to win here, but no. Petey overcomes. It's an absolute spotfest, in a good way, and Petey wins with the Canadian Destroyer after some interference. It seems kind of weird on the surface to have Petey go over AJ here but in watching more shows that would follow this, TNA were really getting behind Petey and especially trying to establish The Canadian Destroyer as the most devastating move in all of TNA, which it probably was.

XXX face AMW next. It's a feud that's been raging for a long time, but based on the video package, not a lot has actually happened. I was out of this match honestly. I'm pretty sure it's both an elimination style match, as well as a Texas Deathmatch. God damn TNA. I wanna see if I can make it through one PPV without there being some sort of ridiculously convoluted match type or stipulation. Bet it takes a while. Anyways, the match just isn't that great and ultimately not something I would recommend. AMW win though.

At this point, I want to talk about the segments that are going on throughout this event. You have two major stories playing out.

The first is a campaign to be elected the TNA Director of Authority. It's Vince Russo against Dusty Rhodes. To my knowledge, they've both been around in TNA for a while at this point. I did not care enough to research everything that lead up to this election, but I do like that they're running attack ads on each other throughout the show like it's a political thing. It's a bit funny. Ultimately, Rhodes wins the election and going forward he will be our Directory of Authority. Fair enough.

The other thing that's going on has to do with the main event. Jeff Jarrett is defending his title against Jeff Hardy in a ladder match. Jarrett will have Hall in his corner, while Hardy will have Nash in his corner. At least that's the plan. Throughout the night, it's in doubt whether Hall or Nash will make it to the arena. Apparently, they're both expected to not make it to the show, presumably due to some kind of set up. Hall does show up in the middle of the show though. There's a limo that pulls up that I guess is Kevin Nash but no one gets out and no one is allowed to see who's in it. Anyways, the big point is that Nash and Hall will be ringside for the main event, so they really phoned in the ending of the PPV imo.

The main event comes and it's a decent enough one. There are a few decent spots in there. There's not much in the way of a cohesive match though. Hall gets involved midway and hits The Outsider's Edge on Hardy off the ladder. The funny thing to me is that Hardy basically no sells it and still gets to his feet before Jarrett. Some more tussling takes place and eventually it's clear we're getting ready to wrap things up. Nash finally makes his presence felt. He's obviously here to keep his word and help Jeff Hard- WAIT NO! It's a swerve BRO! Nash turns on Hardy and all three of the older folks in the match smash guitars over Hardy's head before Jarrett grabs the title and wins.

Thus, The Kings of Wrestling are formed. I don't really have an issue with going back to the well and creating a spinoff of the nWo so to speak, but I do hate The King of Wrestling, and I will talk in more detail about why when I give my thoughts on Turning Point. For tonight, it's a logical enough way to end the show. I'm sure even in 2004 most people saw this coming a mile away but at least you end the show with something of a "cliffhanger". But that's pretty much all the credit I can give them.

In total, I feel like this show had one actually good match and two or three that I wouldn't necessarily tell you to watch OR avoid. In my opinion, the big thing they failed to do here was play to their strengths and show fans what makes them different to WWE (in a good way). There wasn't enough emphasis put on their own creations and this wasn't the best showcase of the X-Division or tag team division for that matter. I just really doubt that there was a significant portion of the population out there who were going to see a power struggle between Dusty Rhodes and Vince Russo and say "now this looks like a company for me!". Same goes for Jarrett forming another stable with a very old looking Kevin Nash and very just bad looking Scott Hall. I mean the craziest thing to me is how similar the booking and overall essence of this company is to dying days WCW which I have also been watching a lot of recently. I mean, these same tactics weren't doing you any favors 4-5 years ago, so what gives? I think you would have made a bigger impression on people if you put Hardy over in the main event, even though he wasn't yet the main event player he would become in a few years. At least it's forward thinking and alternative IN A GOOD WAY.

Show was below average.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I literally only remember the Gauntlet, X-Division match kinda vaguely and the ending of this main event from this show but I've only seen it once and it may have been 10 years ago at this point. I probably won't be rewatching it soo.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
hqdefault.jpg

TURNING POINT 2004
Fuck I am wore out from that Victory Road write up but I wanna go ahead and get this one out too while it's still fresh on my mind.

There are three truly noteworthy things that happen on this show I think. One is that Macho Man wrestles his final match in the semi-main event. The other is something that actually happens in the main event, which I will get to. And one is just the most uncalled for shit I think I've ever seen. And they get right to it at the beginning of the PPV.

So apparently back in 2004, WWE had a show in Orlando. TNA thought it would be super cool to send a few of their folks over to their show and film it. And that's what they did. But, asI understand it, WWE caught wind and threatened to sue TNA if they aired it. So TNA held off.

But boy would TNA have the last laugh on this night!

Throughout the event we are treated to a series of promos featuring impersonators of Vince McMahon and Triple H. They are at the arena to find the tape and destroy it! I hate that TNA did this but I will give credit to the people doing the parodies because they do great impressions of McMahon and Trips. The main joke is that Triple H is Vince's bitch. Through various segments we see the two of them get delivered some cookies, which fall on the floor, but Trips eats them anyways... then a midget that works for TNA comes to their locker room and beats up Vince after he mouths off to him... and then we see Vince taken off in an ambulance.

And then comes the big moment, TNA Director of Authority Dusty Rhodes orders the production team to show the video, which they've been referring to as Cookiegate! This is the big moment! This is what this was all for!

The video shows Shane Douglas, Traci Brooks, Abyss and 3 Live Kru going to where WWE are having this event (it may have even been a commercial shoot or something like that), and calling out WWE employees. BG James and Shane Douglas shoot pretty hard on McMahon. At one point, they even call out Chris Benoit. The majority of this all takes place over at catering, where BG James keeps bringing up mahi mahi. Oh and I forgot to mention that literally everyone who isn't a TNA employee's face is blurred out, so it really shows nothing of note. The one highlight of the video is that Killings steals some food from catering.

Like I said, joke's on WWE! TNA really stuck it to them with this one. :kawhi

Definitely worth committing about 30 minutes of your 3 hour PPV to this bit...

First two matches of the show are solid tags.

There's a 3LK/Team Canada rematch which is an improvement over last month's because Killings is wrestling in this one in place of Konnan.

Then there's a six man X Division Tag Match with Kid Kash, Michael Shane and Kazarian facing Sonjay Dutt, Sonny Siaki and Hector Garza. This is a continuation of last month where Kid Kash dissed Jimmy Snuka and Sonjay Dutt came for the save. To be honest, I kinda agree with what Kash was saying. Snuka did a splash off the top of a cage which is sick and all, but the X Division guys are blowing that kinda shit out of the water, so why are we dedicating air time to Snuka instead of the X Division dudes? Anyways, Garza gets the win for the good guys in the end.

The next match is Monty Brown vs. Abyss in a hardcore match. Brown calls it a Serengeti Rules match but there's nothing that sets this match apart from any hardcore match. It's a hardcore match. I really loved this match, and once again I give props to Brown who cuts a great promo before the match. They really duke it here and it feels like there's some real hatred behind this thing. Abyss, in a rare instance, gets shirtless in this match. Don't think I've ever seen that in any other match. Abyss quickly regrets getting shirtless though, because Monty Brown hits The Alpha Bomb (Alabama Slam) onto a pile of thumbtacks. Abyss for the most part misses the tacks but it's the thought that counts I guess. Brown gets the win.

Johnny B. Badd is still around and he and Pat Kenney (aka Simon Diamond) defeat Disco Inferno and Johnny Swinger. The nerve of this company.

Raven and DDP meet up now because DDP for some reason wants to keep Raven away from the World Title. Erik Watts is at the commentary table so I have to conclude that TNA didn't want people to watch this match. They have an all over the place brawl that culminates with some druids showing up. Erik Watts springs into action. He's going to stop these damn druids. And that he does. But then he pulls a swerve, by clotheslining DDP. It's met with crickets of course because it's Erik fucking Watts after all. The crazy thing is, DDP then counters Watts, hits him with a cutter, hits Raven with a cutter, and still wins the match. I guess fuck Raven. The nerve of this company.

X Division Title Match. Hell yeah. It's Chris Sabin vs. Petey Williams. Both of them were really hot at this point, and you almost get the sense that one of them is going to break out and be the next guy to transcend the X Division with how they're being treated. Like I said for Victory Road, TNA are really putting over the Canadian Destroyer as the most dangerous move in the world, but Chris Sabin knows how to counter it! In the weeks leading up to the PPV, Sabin would block the Canadian Destroy multiple times and hit Petey with the Shellshock. If he can do the same tonight, he might just win that title. Petey does a great job hitting all the tried and true heel moves he can, but honestly the fans are really into both guy. Good thing Scott D'Amore is there to get his guy some heat by association! They have a really awesome match that gets sufficient times and hits a number of highs. The end sees Sabin block the Canadian Destroyer to attempt the Cradle Shock, but Petey counters that into a sharpshooter which I was sad to see was not that well executed. Apparently the sharpshooter is the hardest fucking move in the world to apply. Ultimately D'Amore causes a distraction, letting Petey hit Sabin with some brass knuckles to win. He avoided the Canadian Destroyer but it turns out Petey ain't no one trick pony.

Now it's time for the semi-main event which will be The Kings of Wrestling against AJ Styles, Jeff Hardy and Randy Savage. Only now am I realizing I totally forgot to mention Savage's debut at Victory Road in that write up. :lol Ah well. No matter what, you had to know Hardy and Styles would carry things for their team considering Savage's age but just to safe, they ran an angle earlier in the show where The Kings of Wrestling threw Savage in a car and sent him on his way. So it looks like it's going to be a handicap match. Now, I'm going to talk about why The Kings of Wrestling were dumb. What it really comes down to is the fact that they weren't a good gimmick. They acted very goofy, which can totally be good, but it didn't seem appropriate for this group. And I don't think they were funny. And basing your persona around Elvis in the year 2004 is just criminal. I don't care that you're a Tennessee based company and he's an icon. It's not topical. Just because people know the name, doesn't mean they actually care. So to have these guys coming out to honky tonk music and for Hall and Nash to be wearing jumpsuits, was just not a good look. It might have worked when Hall and Nash were in their 30s but at this stage, it almost doesn't even read as a parody, they just actually look significantly less cool than they normally would. The good news is that the stable pretty much lasted two months.

This match also felt mercifully short. The babyfaces were very over so it worked stacking the deck against them, and of course with AJ Styles in there, you know he's going to make the match watchable at worst. Things get to looking pretty bad for the faces but just then, the Macho Man arrives! And the fans are into it, to be fair. But right off the bat, he gets on the apron in the heel corner, which makes you wonder if he was paying any attention at all to what was going on. Hardy still tags him in and Mach gets a couple of moves in on Jarrett. Jarrett tries to do a sunset flip into a pin but Mach drops down on him and hooks the leg to get the win. Boy that was not pretty. Mach was clearly not in any shape to be in the ring at this point.

And then the commentators put over Savage as the new number one contender for the NWA World Title. It's a good thing that didn't come to fruition.

Up next is AMW vs. Triple X in the six sides of steel, which I was surprised to see was the main event. I had only seen this match once before. Didn't realize it was actually the main event and since it had been many years, it almost felt like watching it again for the first time. I have to say, this match was awesome. This shit was just super well worked from start to finish pretty much. For this being two midcard tag teams, they went out there and validated the choice to put them on last. There was blood, violence, aggression and there was also some amazing spots and feats of athleticism, including most likely the most famous spot in TNA history.

SardonicMeagerBeardeddragon-size_restricted.gif

In addition to that, you also see Daniels flying off the cage for an elbow drop and then a four person tower of doom spot that sees Daniels suplexed from the top of the cage. It's all quite the spectacle. AMW prevail in the end in what is quite possibly the best tag match in TNA history.

Final take on the show is that this was a huge step up from Victory Road as far as the matches are concerned. And that counts for plenty, honestly, because PPVs tend to be more about the matches than they do the segments. Of course you always want some beefy angles in there too, but I tend to emphasize the ring work when it comes to PPVs. This was a step up in that department. But I hated to see all the WWE shit going on. Not only was it horribly anticlimactic and a waste of time with all the Vince/Trips parodies, but like... it wasn't even original either. It was like they were trying to copy what DX did to Nitro, only it was much worse. And it was also a WWE idea. :lol How are you going to steal ideas from the company you're trying to get one over on? And then not even have the decency to make it good?

The other big downer here was Randy Savage. He may have been useful as far as his name value and creating some buzz, but he couldn't wrestle and again it's just sacrificing quality for the sake of getting someone with a name in the mix. Thank God he didn't wrestle Jarrett at Final Resolution as planned because it surely would have been an instant frontrunner for Worst Match of the Year.

They did the right thing putting Triple X vs. AMW in the main event.

Last edited:

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Dat 6 sides of steel tag match :homer:

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
Damn EC banging out two PPVS like nothing. Yeah when it comes to Victory Road I surely remember the X-Division Gauntlet and Petey vs AJ from the Show. I think those two Matches especially where on the Best of the X-Division Volume Dvds that I own. Personally I dug that Gauntlet because by 2004 the only Companies I was watching was WWE and Impact, and seeing these talents from other promotions made me get into Puro and ROH because of it. Petey vs AJ I remember loving and even Scott got involved plenty of good shit throughout between the two. I don't know why Impact hasn't recreated Team Canada they literally gave it there to make with The North, Elgin and Petey.

Loved me some Triple X back in the day especially when Low Ki joined the group. It hurt my soul it took years later for the group to get back together, but the group left so many wonderful moments in Impact.

Reactions: Kiffy Lube and Hoss

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
...probably not.

But you know these are crazy times and do the current state of things, I have so much fucking time on my hands I don't know what to do with it.

On a whim, I decided to watch Victory Road 2004 on the award winning Impact Plus app and now I've decided to just truck along and keep watching all the monthly PPVs from here on out. Will I make it through their full catalogue? See the first line for the answer to that question.

It never hurts to try though.

I don't plan on giving full length reviews with star ratings and all that because at that point, it kind of becomes work. I'm just going to watch the shows, drop some thoughts and give my overall opinion on the shows mostly. At least that's the plan. Some shows might get a more thorough review, and then again they may not. There's no rules to this shit!

turning-point-01.jpg
The Kings of Wrestling on the OP already command my attention. :vince2

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
The Kings of Wrestling on the OP already command my attention. :vince2

I wonder if him shitting on them for the first two shows keeps your attention :TI:

• Haha
Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I wonder if him shitting on them for the first two shows keeps your attention :TI:
People are free t shit on them in 2004, but I will always mark for my favorite wrestlers no matter what year or shape they're in.

Reactions: Chris

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
Man watched the Cookiegate vid three times in a row. I haven't seen it in years, but imagine if AEW did something like this today? Road Dogg telling Rey you're fired as R-Truth eats away at his Mahi Mahi :lol

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
hkUDiIF.jpg

FINAL RESOLUTION 2005

2005 is here and thank fuck Randy Savage had a falling out with Jarrett and won’t be competing for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship tonight.

As always we have a wonderful opening video package, hyping up the night to come. It does a great job putting their young guys over and highlights Team Canada vs. AMW for the NWA World Tag Team Championship, Petey Williams vs. AJ Styles vs. Chris Sabin for X Division Championship in a fucking Ultimate X Match, and Monty Brown vs. Kevin Nash vs. Diamond Dallas Page where the winner will face Jeff Jarrett for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship as the marquee matchups tonight. Sounds like a hell of a card to me.

Just like last month, there’s an ongoing angle happening throughout the show where Johnny Fairplay, Traci Brooks and Trinity are doing some kind of scavenger hunt type shit to decide who gets to be director of authority Dusty Rhodes’ assistant. It’s basically a play on Johnny Fairplay’s Survivor history. And it kinda sucks. But surprisingly, Fairplay proves to be sort of funny in these skits.

First match on this show is a six man tag match with Daniels, Michael Shane and Frankie Kazarian taking on 3 Live Kru. I think I said previously that Triple X should’ve gone on to be one of TNA’s all-time tag teams after their amazing match with AMW last month, but here we are a month on and they’ve already gone their separate ways. :( Coincidentally, Daniels is teaming with Kazarian, who he would go on to form an all-time TNA tag team with many years later. As far as the match, it really isn’t anything worth seeking out. The X Division guys do most of the work but 3 Live Kru win. Understandable since they’re pretty over.

Next match is Elix Skipper vs. Sonjay Dutt. Props to Tenay and West once again putting over both competitors and selling the importance of the X Division. There’s a TNA chant early in this one, as Sonjay Dutt shows off his acrobatic ability. The fans stay hot although things get quite a bit slower as the match goes on and honestly… this isn’t as fluid of a match as I expected. Elix Skipper wins with a dope ass tilt-a-whirl uranage type thing.

In the back, Kevin Nash says since both he and Diamond Dallas Page are old as dirt, they should work together to take out The Alpha Male and then fight between each other to decide who gets to face Jarrett. DDP says he stands on his own but he doesn’t necessarily tell him no either.

Next up is Dustin Rhodes vs. Kid Kash. Kid Kash is just being disrespectful to everyone, including Dusty and Dustin himself. So, Dustin is looking to shut him up. Dustin first came in to TNA in early 2004 but there was a long absence there before he came back in December 2004 and got into this storyline. Kid Kash uses a cover version of “Walk” by Pantera for his theme. And he’s not the only guy on the roster using a cover or remix of a popular song. At this same time, Scott Hall’s theme is a cover of “Those Shoes” by The Eagles, Kevin Nash’s is “Still D.R.E”, DDP's is of course “Smells Like Teen Spirit” and Monty Brown’s is “Down With The Sickness”. And those are just the ones I noticed.

Anyways, this is a pretty old school match. Kid Kash fakes a knee injury early to get the upper hand. He then attacks Rhodes’ knee for the majority of the match to the point where Dustin can barely stand. Kash nearly puts him out with a sleeper but Rhodes weathers the storm. Later on, Rhodes hits an atomic drop but since he used his bad knee, he collapses down in pain. I thought that was a solid spot. Kash keeps trying to do everything he can and eventually gets in the referee’s face and shoves him. The ref shoves him back though and Kash can’t believe it. Kash returns his focus to Dustin and shoots him off the ropes, but Dustin hits him with a running bulldog on the way back to get the win. Kind of a flat ending but I thought it was a really well worked match by two intelligent vets.

We get a video package previewing the triple threat elimination match later tonight, recapping how things have gotten here. Basically Dusty Rhodes chose all these guys for this match. Nash was chosen because he’s aligned with Jarrett and Dusty knew he could drive a wedge between them if he put Nash in the title hunt. And he succeeded in doing so. So he’s basically destroyed The Kings of Wrestling only about two months into their existence. Meanwhile DDP is just the do-good face we know and love. He wants to win the title because of the tradition associated with the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. Then there’s Monty Brown. Of everyone who has ever wrestled in TNA, Monty Brown is probably the guy they missed the boat on the worst. He has star written all over him and he’s one of the only heavyweights on the whole roster who isn’t associated with another company. What a shame.

Next up is a skippable brawl between Raven and Erik Watts. Erik Watts sucks. And yet he wins with a chokeslam. Yikes. After the match Raven cuts a promo asking for Watts’ forgiveness, but it’s a SWERVE BRO and Raven ends up just bashing him with a trash can to knock him off the stage. The fans end up chanting for Raven who is definitely supposed to be a heel. They shoulda put my boy Raven over.

Next is Scott Hall vs. Jeff Hardy with Roddy Piper as the special referee. I mean holy shit, what a cast of characters. :lol It’s a minor miracle that all three of these guys actually showed up at the event. :lmao Before the match starts, Piper frisks Hall and pulls a bunch of foreign objects out of his Elvis suit, which was pretty funny. Then Hall turns the tables and frisks Piper, finding handcuffs in his pocket. That was actually a really good bit. Crazy to think that Jeff Hardy would be a multiple time world champion in TNA and WWE and Hall never won the big one in WWE, TNA or WCW. The match is pretty one sided honestly, with Hardy getting in most of the offense. Hall doesn’t do a whole lot, other than bicker with Piper and play to the crowd. Hardy wins after Piper pokes Hall in the eyes, allowing Jeff to hit Hall with a Twist of Fate (which Hall sells amazingly) and a Swanton Bomb. Overall a good match.

Hardy then cuts a really awkward promo saying he’s going to start kicking some ass around here, starting with Jarrett. Piper then declares Hardy is the next World Heavyweight Champion. From behind comes Abyss for unexplained reasons and he wipes out Hardy and Piper. I remember Hardy and Abyss having a Monster’s Ball Match or something of that nature, so if that’s coming up soon, I’m looking forward to it.

Now we’ve reached the number one contender’s triple threat match. Honestly this match is all about Monty Brown. Tenay and West spend the whole match talking about Brown’s history and how good he is. They even say that becoming an NFL player was just a means for him to break into wrestling which is a pretty damn bold claim because I SERIOUSLY doubt anyone becomes a professional athlete with the intent to leverage that to break into wrestling. I would bet almost anything on that. Anyways, DDP and Nash do end up working together for the most part, until DDP with the SWERVE BRO throws Nash over the top rope, which apparently is enough to eliminate him. Nash, by the way, is in full Guard Engleheart mode at this point in time appearance-wise. DDP is able to hit Brown with the Diamond Cutter but Nash pulls him off of Brown to save the match. Brown dominates the rest of the match after that and finishes DDP with The Pounce! So-so match.

Next up is the first championship match of the evening, as America’s Most Wanted challenge Team Canada in the form of Bobby Roode and Eric Young. Scott D’Amore tries to stall for Team Canada but AMW aren’t waiting around and end up attacking them on the ramp to start the fight. Somehow Eric Young ends up with a big ass knot on his forehead. Looks wicked. A majority of the match is Team Canada dominating James Storm, which reminded me that Chris Harris was always painted as the leader of the team. He was the guy that would get the hot tags and I think they tried to give him a stronger singles push after AMW ended if I remember correctly. Funny how things work out, as Chris Harris would end up being the only guy in this match NOT to win the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. Who woulda guessed? Anyways, Storm does make the hot tag and Harris whoops ass. AMW handcuffs D’Amore to the Ultimate X rig to keep him from interfering. Johnny Devine shows up though and smashes a hockey stick over Storm’s back. Despite that, Storm is able to kick out. AMW hit Roode with a suplex/powerbomb combo but Roode kicks out (although it looks like the ref did count 3). Devine tries to slide a chair in, but Harris intercepts it. Roode hits him with a lariat from behind though, which causes Harris to crash into the chair. Young goes for the cover, but Harris gets his foot on the rope. Young then reaches over the ropes to Devine who has his back turned, and Devine swings the chair up, thinking it’s one of the AMW guys. Devine bashes Young with the chair, and puts a thumb up to the camera, completely oblivious to what he just did. Harris makes the pin to win. Only when AMW’s theme starts playing does Devine turn around and realize what he’s done. This was a fucking great match. Strong four stars. AMW are on fire.

And holy hell, now it’s time for the Ultimate X match.

:DEAD:

I almost feel like they needed to throw a match in here between the tag match and this just to keep the fans from becoming exhausted. But then again, this is prime TNA right here. These fans have stamina. As I’ve touched on a bit before, all three of these guys are on fire at this point. Styles of course has already held the NWA World Heavyweight Title and is well established as one of the faces of the company. But Sabin and Williams are both pretty much at the peak of their popularity right now too so this is a huge match. And man, these guys fucking bring it. From the jump, it’s classic X Division action. They break it up a bit by having D’Amore get ejected, which takes up a minute or two and almost serves as a breather for everyone. In a fucking wild instant that I’m surprised isn’t used in more video packages, Petey Williams drops off the cables and hits a hurricanrana on Sabin off of AJ Styles’ shoulders.

WaJvD7O.gif

Soon after comes a spot that would end up on all the video packages. Chris Sabin performs a springboard dropkick to AJ, who is hanging from the cable, causing AJ to do a crazy front flip and splat on the canvas.

I80xH5y.gif

Just simply amazing. After some more fighting, Sabin ends up doing a fucking running cross powerbomb on Petey Williams where he just yeets him into the middle turnbuckle. It looks brutal as all hell. Sabin and Williams then both climb up to the cables and end up having a tug of war at the top for the title. AJ Styles being the sneaky little slithery snake that he is jumps from the top rope and snatches the championship out of both of their hands to win. A creative though slightly cheap way to win the match. What a ride this one was.

Before we get to the main event, Jeff Jarrett encounters Kevin Nash in the hallway and they have to be pulled apart. Believe it or not, Kevin Nash would not interfere in the main event. Crazy right?

The main event is decent, just in terms of the action. They have a brawl that kind of spills all over the arena. The story here is how determined Brown is, and how Jarrett is unable to put him away. Towards the end of the match, Brown counters out of The Stroke and accidentally throws Jarrett into the referee. Of course you know that means Jarrett has to clock Brown with the guitar. He tries to pin but only gets two. So he gets a chair out next. Brown grabs Jarrett into an electric chair position, Jarrett smacks Brown with the chair and they both hit the mat. Jarrett tries another cover, but again he gets a two count. So now Jarrett grabs the title belt and uses that on Brown. YET AGAIN Monty Brown kicks out. And I should add that all this time, the referee is still selling the collision from earlier. Like, he’s selling while Jarrett is doing all this dirty shit, recovering to do the two counts, and then selling again to allow Jarrett to do the next dirty thing. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen that before. Anyways, Brown is all fired up now after kicking out of the shot with the title belt and tries to hit The Pounce on Jarrett, but Jarrett moves and Brown takes out the referee. Sheesh… So Jarrett finds another guitar(!!!!!) but this time Brown wrangles the guitar from him and hits Jarrett with it. Sadly the referee is deceased in the ring so Brown has to wait for another to come down and by that time he only gets two. They do some weird spot to set up a Pounce, which allows Jarrett to grab an already broken guitar and hit Brown with it as he attempts his finisher. You may be thinking “but wait, isn’t there a second referee now?” and the answer is yes, but he’s got his back turned checking on the first referee. So Jarrett then hits three consecutive Strokes because Brown refuses to stay down and makes the pin to retain his championship.

This is going to sound crazy but I actually think the main event is pretty fun despite (or maybe even because of) the absolutely ludicrous overbooking. But, if you can’t tell by now, I was firmly on the Monty Brown bandwagon and to this day you will not convince me he wasn’t worthy of this championship. In all fairness this match was booked to make him look freakishly good, but at the end of the day, it’s still a loss for him. As much time as they spent putting him over all throughout this show, it really is perplexing they didn’t pull the trigger on him here and he would never get quite this close to the championship again. Shame.

I can confidently say that this was the best PPV so far. Every match on this card was passable, with the possible exception of Raven vs. Watts which just felt like it had no heat whatsoever. The skits with Rhodes, Fairplay, Traci and Trinity weren’t good necessarily, but they were an upgrade on the Cookiegate nonsense of last month. AMW vs. Team Canada and Sabin vs. Styles vs. Williams was just one hell of a combination. That’s a back-to-back that will be tough to beat. If Brown had gone over in the main event, I would probably be willing to go out on a limb and call this a likely show of the year candidate for TNA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler