Cody Rhodes on Raw return promo

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
fpqan7mwyaiijuc.jpg

Source: f4wonline.com

Cody Rhodes has commented on his promo from the Raw after WrestleMania.

The American Nightmare opened up Monday's show with a story about his father, Dusty Rhodes, and wanting to win the WWE Championship. Appearing on WWE's The Bump on Wednesday, Cody spoke about what the promo meant to him.

“I was just able to go out and speak in an unscripted, raw fashion and tell a story about my dad that not everybody knows,” Rhodes said.

“I actually have the title I spoke about but not everybody knows that story. That was my original impetus and whole origin story on wanting to be a wrestler. So, to be able to tell the world that was very special.”

Later in the show, Rhodes elaborated further about the promo.

“I have the physical WWWF championship in the photo. I had posted about that but I’ve only told the story to a few fans and a few friends, a very limited number of people. I, as a professional, wanted to present it in the most digestible way."

He continued to describe the promo as, “incredibly real, from the heart, not scripted.”

“I think it’s probably a good precedent to set for me when it comes to being here now and being on this team,” he continued.

“I know what I’m doing with a microphone and I don’t need to be told. That was a case of I’m just going to tell you a real story, anyways. I was glad to tell it because my dream shifted a great deal in the industry as things changed for me. How often do you get another opportunity?”

Rhodes also spoke about what led to him leaving AEW and signing with WWE.

“I loved what I had been doing, so proud of it. I know people aren’t living under a rock, I had come from another company that I loved everything about. But I needed to move forward," he said.

He continued to say that he expected a more mixed reaction from fans to his return at WrestleMania.

“I was expecting a more polarizing reaction because the last bit of wrestling I had done I was a bit more of a ‘Let’s go Cody, Cody sucks’ type, which I love. But also, I’m an outsider. I broke the throne, I helped create an alternative promotion, I caused an incredible amount of disturbance in this world and it wasn’t a negative return, it was positive.”

“It felt like a triumphant return and it felt really vindicating to show up as me,” he continued.

“I was expecting some detractors to it all and I would have loved that just as much but it didn’t seem like we got any of that.”

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I liked it. Had a real life spin on the usual "I'm here to win the world title" stuff.

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
I said it in the RAW thread, he needed to be the first person out the curtain on that show.

I love that his promo was unscripted. When it’s guys you can trust, like him, or Reigns or Edge, let them do their thing.

He’ll never be the number 1 guy like Brock or Roman but I do believe that when WWE goes back to 2 World Titles, he’ll hold one of them. WWE just has to keep striking while the iron is hot.

Reactions: Swerve

Marty McFourth

Indy Wrestling Connoisseur
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty excellent and very genuine. I liked afterwards too with Seth coming out with the handshake (which was unexpected). Just a great opener overall.

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
My favorite thing about the promo on Monday was he said the thing he would say in AEW before beginning a promo, “What do you guys wanna talk about?”

Swerve

Whose House?!
Reaction score
Gaffney, SC (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
Favorite Wrestler
8zeSJYf
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
RGKCxbB
Favorite Sports Team
xjczadG
I was expecting the worst with Cody and a live mic but he knocked it out of the park!