Alistair Overeem Feels Disrespected by Zuffa, Will Not Fight September 10

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WrestlingSmarks News

Reaction score
alistair-overeem_crop_340x234_large.jpg
Alistair Overeem ended up filling in on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani when Rich Franklin pulled out of his planned appearance on the show and dropped some very interesting bits of information. It has been rumored that the second round of the Strikeforce heavyweight tournament would take place on September 10, but Overeem shot that idea down. From MMA Fighting:

"That is not going to take place," Overeem told Helwani. "Stikeforce has requested me to accept the fight for Sept. 10, to agree on that, but I have not agreed on it and I also had some emails, some questions asked, is the fight confirmed? No, the fight is not confirmed. I do not confirm it and I will not confirm it."

"What's going to happen next, I don't know. I've had some threats of cutting me out of the tournament if I don't participate. I don't know if they're going to do it. Personally, I don't like to be threatened. If people start talking like that then...be my guest, but then I'm really not going to sing to their tune."

"For them to unilaterally declare, okay, [September 10] is going to be the second round, which I never agreed on, and then threaten me if I don't want it, it...doesn't really show a lot of respect," he said.

Alistair clarified that respect is very important to him and he will fight for another promotion if Zuffa decides to dismiss him over the situation.

Overeem also continued to talk about potentially trying his hand at boxing, a development that has come up in recent days, including talk of him fighting Vitali Klitschko.