'14-'15 MLB Off-season discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
31ed6de2153d93b52ee13295c2e52308.png

Well the 2014 MLB season is officially over and the '14-'15 off-season has begun, free agency market looks pretty solid this year and there are quite a bit of players who are on the last season of their contract that teams may be looking to move to other teams for some prospects, players and cash considerations.

A couple moves have already been made so far throughout the beginning stages of the off-season, some of those include:

• OF Giancarlo Stanton signing a 13 year $325 million dollar deal with the Miami Marlins.
  • OF Jason Heyward getting traded from the ATL Braves to the STL Cardinals.
  • RHP Joel Peralta getting traded from the TB Rays to the LA Dodgers
There's bound to be plenty of action going on during the off-season for Major League Baseball this year so feel free to discuss about it here as well as post new updates on transactions until the new season begins in spring of next year (2015).

u_cant_c_me

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
The Oakland Athletics made their first big move of the offseason, coming to terms with longtime Kansas City Royals designated hitter and first baseman Billy Butler on a three-year, $30 million contract. The deal suggests that the A's expect the 28-year-old righthander to rebound from what was arguably his worst major league season. Unfortunately for Oakland, there's very little to be found in Butler's recent performance to suggest a reversal of what has been two consecutive seasons of sharp decline at the plate.

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
Butler got a lot more than what I expected, especially from the A's.

Brewers re-signed Ramirez, Gallardo, and booted weeks the fuck out, then traded Marco Estrada for Lind straight up. We have about 8 possible SP, with a 25 year old power lefty just waiting for his chance (Will Smith will be our setup man this season)

Don't expect shit else from the Crew, sadly, as we are spending the extra cash on arbitration, and even though our owner made a huge deal about our downfall and said "changes would be made" nothing really has happened that mattered. We upgraded our asst coaching unit, and added a first baseman on a decent deal.

Oh well, I still cannot get over that 13 year contract, I expect in 2020 the deal gets restructured.

u_cant_c_me

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
I would Pick Butler he could be a good match with the A's

u_cant_c_me

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Indians Exploring Nick Swisher Trades
By Steve Adams [November 18, 2014 at 2:51pm CST]
The Indians are exploring a number of trade possibilities, including scenarios in which they could move Nick Swisher and his remaining $30MM for another player with an inflated contract, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (All Twitter links).

Rosenthal lists names like B.J. Upton ($46.35MM through 2017), Ubaldo Jimenez($38.75MM through 2017) and Ryan Howard ($60MM through 2016) as examples of other inflated contracts while being careful to note that the Indians aren’t necessarily interested in anyone from that grouping. Other players on bloated contracts include Edwin Jackson($22MM through 2016), John Danks ($28.5MM through 2016), Cody Ross ($10.5MM through 2015) and Ricky Nolasco ($37MM through 2017), to say nothing of Dodgers outfielders Carl Crawford and Andre Ethier (though that duo is a particularly difficult fit in Cleveland).

Swisher, signed to a four-year, $56MM contract heading into the 2013 season, played well in his inaugural campaign in his home state of Ohio, hitting .246/.321/.423 with 22 homers. However, his offense fell off a cliff in 2014, as he batted just .208/.278/.331 while his strikeout rate soared to a career-worst 27.7 percent and his walk rate dropped to a career-worst nine percent.

As I explained in my Indians Offseason Outlook, Cleveland has a bit of financial flexibility heading into 2015, but that flexibility will be gone by 2016 due to arbitration raises to Corey Kluber, Cody Allen and Carlos Carrasco as well as contractual salary increases to the likes of Jason Kipnis, Yan Gomes, Carlos Santana and Michael Brantley. Moving Swisher orMichael Bourn, who is owed $27.5MM over the next two seasons and has also declined, would alleviate that pressure and give the Indians a much more favorable long-term outlook. One option could be to pay a large chunk of Swisher’s 2015 salary, when the team has more payroll flexibility, while only absorbing a small chunk of his 2016 salary (or do the same with Bourn). By doing so, they could still eat around half of his remaining salary but create more 2016 flexibility to accommodate an increasingly expensive core.

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Reaction score
Cleveland may have the finances to make moves like that but I'm not sure what will happen when they do make moves.. some of the suspicions don't really rub me the right way, I think they can get a better team if they be patient and wait a season instead of spending too much money.

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
I saw your top prospects the other day, also. I hear about the cubs (probably location) all the time, but damn dude.

Danielson

Champion
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
It's almost unreal. Lagaras won the gold glove. Degrom roty in nl. Harvey, wheeler, degrom, synagaard led minors in ks, familia. Just something I've seen happening finally coming together. I think mets make playoffs for first time in 8 yrs