Your Preferred Announce Teams

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
For quite some time now there have been many complaints about the announcers on both RAW and Smackdown. They focus less and less on calling the action and in the case of Cole is more interested in getting himself over. I don't think that anyone is happy with the way either announce team is going at the moment so I would like to see what pairings members would like to see.

Current Announce Teams:
RAW: Michael Cole & Jerry Lawler
Smackdown: Josh Matthews, Michael Cole & Booker T

Other commentators used for NXT and Superstars: Matt Striker, Scott Stanford, William Regal, Jack Korpela

What combination would you like to see behind the announce booth each week for RAW and Smackdown?

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I don't really have a preferred setup, I actually dig all the commentators in their own way (except for Scott Stanford). The only problem I have is what you touched on, being Cole's annoying tendency to get himself over. It gets particularly frustrating during the Diva's matches, as if the girls don't already have enough trouble getting over. And as much as I like Booker, it bothers me whenever he tries to take on Cole and loses.

That said, I guess my dream line-up would look like this:

- Striker / Regal / Josh

- Striker / Regal / Cole

Of course, JR is my favourite of all time but I just can't think where to place him except for just him and Lawler. I also miss Byron Saxton.

Just a random thought to end with - I'd love to see a female commentator one of these days, given she has the charisma.

Last edited:

Aniking

Reaction score
First of all, I think we need to split them up into two parts - commentators who call the moves (play-by-play) and commentators who analyse something that just happened during the match (idk, lets just call them analysers lol).

You can't have two play-by-play commentators and no analysers (and vice versa), so you've gotta have one of each. That's how I feel it works the best, and to be honest it seems that's how the WWE usually goes with it.

The play-by-play commentators are Michael Cole, Josh Matthews, Scott Stanford, Jack Korpela and obviously Jim Ross too. The analysers are Jerry Lawler, Booker T, Matt Striker and William Regal. That gives us a close to even balance, with 5 play-by-play commentators and 4 analysers.

Something that Smackdown needs to have over Raw is the better commentators considering Raw is definitely favoured. So for Smackdown I would go with Josh Matthews & Matt Striker as the commentators. Personally I think they're the best two that actually focus on what's going on in the ring and don't get side tracked by Cole's bullshit or whatever.

Now this leaves us with Michael Cole, Scott Stanford, Jack Korpela and Jim Ross, and also Jerry Lawler, Booker T and William Regal. With Raw, I would personally go with Jim Ross & Booker T. I chose Ross over Stanford and Korpela as I can't imagine either of them being able to call Raw or Smackdown just yet, whereas Cole should become a Manager as he'd be fantastic at that because he has massive heat. Also, I chose Booker over Lawler and Regal as Lawler obviously doesn't have the motivation to do it anymore, whereas Regal needs some more experience calling Raw or Smackdown.

So yeah, to summarise:

Raw: Jim Ross & Booker T
Smackdown: Josh Matthews & Matt Striker

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The Booker T experment has not worked for me. At the start I was in favour of him becoming a regular part of the announce team because he always showed good charasma during his days as a performer, he is highly respected by the fans and should bring a good level of depth. But he has been a complete mess as a broadcaster and has added nothing of depth and I find his cartoonish goodie goodie character to be very outdated. So I would replace him.

As far as I am concerned Jim Ross is the greatest commentator in history, but has had his day and just is not what he used to be. It is time to move on, maybe bring him back for the odd appearence, but apart that he has a greater role to play behind the scenes or maybe just in a different on air compactiy, like maybe they could bring back the Ross Report I always found them very good to listen to.

The tricky one is Michael Cole because on his day playing that heel character he can be very effective and stand out from the rest. The thing is he tends to switch back and fouth too much depending on who is wrestling. Also like many have said he has become very overbearing, but not in a good way. For now I would keep him, but as the character he was playing when he first turned heel last year.

Based on who they have at their desposal right now my announce teams would be:

RAW
Michael Cole and William Regal

Smackdown
Josh Matthews and Matt Striker

I think Regal could easily become the next Jerry Lawler given the chance and since his days in the ring are pretty much numbered and he is very commited to WWE I think he would be motivated to produce each week. The only issue is the fact that both Cole and Regal are best as heels, so it might be tough to strike the balance. For the time being I would keep Cole as a heel and make Regal a face.

For PPV's I would have a three man team of Cole, Striker and Regal.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
For me, I would remove Cole entirely from behind the booth and have him as a full time manager. With RAW being more about the entertainment aspect, i'd have Josh as the lead guy as he deserves it and is a fine commentator to boot. Given he's more entertaining in my opinion and has good chemistry with Josh, i'd have Booker as the analyst. SmackDown seems more wrestling orientated, so providing both were up for doing it then i'd have JR & King calling the action, otherwise i'd switch to Josh & Striker. Let Stanford, Korpela & Regal float around between NXT & Superstars to get more experience.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Think most will agree Cole just needs to be off commentary at this point. They don't seem to be stopping with how they use Cole so just use him as a manager and use him to help someone else get over who needs to get over. WWE needs more managers anyways. Also King could be used as a manager as well since being an announcer doesn't seem to be his top thing he wants to do anyways. Could make for either a decent face or heel manager depending on the guy he manages.

Raw: JR, Joey Styles (I want him back on commentary personally) & Mick Foley (This is if he were to not be used as GM)

Smackdown: Josh Matthews (underrated imo), Matt Striker & Booker-T

I think if done right the 3 man commentary team can be great as it has in the past so thats why I'd keep the 3 man deal going just give it a nice shake up.

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Smackdown - Striker, Cole
RAW- JR, Joey Styles

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I am another that wants Cole removed. If he was playing his normal gimmick then he would be fine but with this crazy heel gimmick it is just too much. I like Keith's announce teams but only if Cole is back to the character he used to play.

The best play by play announcer is Josh Matthews so he should be calling RAW. I think that Regal would be an inspired choice as colour commentator on RAW, he has a very quick wit, he knows what he is talking about and he is respectful.

For Smackdown I think that Matt Striker should be given the colour commentator spot again. I liked him on ECW and think that he should be calling a weekly show again. Picking the Smackdown play by play guy is difficult because I am not a fan of Stanford and Korpela. I would even consider using someone like Bryon Saxton who called ECW for a little bit because he is better than the other two options.

The Wrestling Addict

Reaction score
I can't stand Striker at all on commentary and I love Cole. However, I agree with everyone else, Cole should be used as a manager.

For every show, I'd have: Joey Styles, Josh Mathews, and Booker T

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Booker T is just awesome :D [video=youtube;4a2-6g3XXUE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a2-6g3XXUE[/video]

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Lawler/JR - Probably the most obvious choice

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Raw - William Regal, Josh Matthews

Smackdown - Scott Stanford, Booker T

The two best Wrestlers turned commentators, and the two best non-wrestling commentators. Easy pick. And then we could put Matt Strikers on both Raw and Smackdown like Cole does now.

ryaneden20

Reaction score
I Would love to see JR, King and Booker T call RAW
and King, Booker, and Regal Call Smackdown
That would be hilarious on both shows hearing JR and Booker T go back and forth

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
If King did commentary on both shows, I would call WWE to complain. I'm that serious, their is no person I hate more in that company than Jerry Lawler. Biggest waste of voice period.

rcoot93

Reaction score
Raw: JR, King (in his classic comedy/heel role) Booker
Smackdown: Matthews, Regal, Striker