YAHOO! sports How Can TNA Compete with or Surpass the WWE?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

punk13

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
lita2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
In my opinion, TNA has to take one or more of the following three steps to truly keep Vince McMahon awake at night.

3. Hire Paul Heyman as head of creative

Paul Heyman's critics contend that his promotion, ECW, never rose above third place and went out of business in less than 10 years. However, that was because Heyman tried to micromanage every aspect of ECW's business operations. The wrestling, promos, and storylines of ECW are legendary. With Paul Heyman directing TNA's creative plans, the promotion won't need to copy anyone else's storylines.

2. Focus more on its UK market

I'm not suggesting that TNA will become more popular in America by leaving America. However, TNA's best crowds are always in UK arenas. The episode of WWE Raw that took place after Wrestlemania 29 has already reached legendary status because of its amazing crowd. A rabid crowd is infectious, even to fans watching on TV. If TNA could film more episodes of Impact Wrestling in the UK, it would indirectly spawn excitement in America as well.

1. Sign a top WWE wrestler (John Cena or CM Punk)

I know this sounds like replicating failed business models of the past. However, that aforementioned list of WWE wrestlers would pale in comparison to a surprise run-in by John Cena or CM Punk on a live broadcast of Impact Wrestling. TNA would have to keep it a secret until it happens, which isn't as easy today as it was 15-20 years ago. And they would have to do it soon as rumors persist that Cena and Punk's injuries are mounting in the WWE.

At the end of the day, it's possible that Vince McMahon cannot be dethroned and the WWE will never be challenged again. The NFL put the old AFL and USFL out of business and is now the most powerful pro sports league in the world. It's also possible that a large portion of old-school wrestling fans jumped ship to MMA and they are never coming back. But TNA has to take a different approach if it ever hopes to compete with the WWE.
thoughts?

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
3 and 1 have been stated for years. Problem is Hogan and Bischoff you'll never get Hogan out as long as he can keep doing what he's doing now. So the Heyman thing never. John Cena will never jump ship and I doubt that Punk would either. If you were lucky maybe you could get Orton.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Search on Youtube for Heyman's interview with Meltzer and Alvarez fron Wrasslin Observer.

Cliff notes;
- he wanted £15m worth of stock options
- he wanted to fire anyone over 40 (said this to Ariel Helwani too)
- he wanted complete creative control

Sure he has a good mind but he's not worth handing half the company over for. Plus he has stronger ties to WWE anyway.

They are doing a lot over here already so point #2 is null and void.

No point going into #3, just a pipe dream. Might as well put #4 - win the lottery for same effect.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I don't see whoever is in charge of creative making a difference at all if i'm being honest coupled in with the fact that that TNA have already signed countless WWE stars and big names and it hasn't made the slightest bit of difference to the TV ratings. Hogan, Flair, Foley, Sting, Hardy, Angle and there'll be plenty more you can throw in and they're still at a poxy 1.2 rating at best.

I don't see focusing more on the UK being a positive thing either. Sure by all means have a strong following in other countries by all means, but the US is their bread and butter at the end of the day. The TV deals, sponsorships, house shows and all that jazz are what pay the bills not an infrequent tour to the UK.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
WWE will mysteriously murder John Cena before he jumped to TNA and Punk thinks TNA is garbage and would never go back. For TNA to ever even be thought of as a company that could surpass WWE it would take a hell of a lot more than 3 steps let alone these ones.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I respect Heyman, but handing that guy business control is a fucking Blue idea, especially with his track record. Creative control... maybe, but it's been well-established that even ECW's wrestlers were their own creative boss for the most part. That's not to say Heyman doesn't have a great mind for the business, I just think a lot of people overrate him and give him credit he didn't really earn on his own. And even his work in WWE was hit-and-miss.

UK market would be a great idea, but how can they afford to travel overseas constantly if they are having trouble just travelling around the US? Unless they were to relocate to England entirely, that wouldn't be a smart business decision right now.

As for Cena or Punk jumping ship... that's cute. Here's a better idea. How about develop your own fucking stars? Hmmm...

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Heyman as creative nothing more, but it won't happen now imo.

Problem with number two is if it is the US side of things which is suffering then shouldn't they focus on making that better?

Three is not going to happen, besides they have possibly the biggest star in history right now and that has not made a difference.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
The way TNA goes forward is by competing alongside the WWE, and not against it. If TNA could sign a "partnership" deal to exchange talent every once in a while, then TNA would be able to get buyrates that they need.

Oh and they'd have to get rid of the "WCW 2000" crowd that runs the ship, but we know that shit ain't never gonna happen so long as Hogan, Flair and Bischoff have pulses.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Why does it always have to be Paul Heyman? He's not the only insanely smart guy when it comes to wrestling. I miss Jim Cornette. 8D

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The way TNA goes forward is by competing alongside the WWE, and not against it. If TNA could sign a "partnership" deal to exchange talent every once in a while, then TNA would be able to get buyrates that they need. Oh and they'd have to get rid of the "WCW 2000" crowd that runs the ship, but we know that shit ain't never gonna happen so long as Hogan, Flair and Bischoff have pulses.

But that won't happen, WWE would not allow it, besides TNA needs to distance itself from WWE and do what it did at the start which was offer an alternitive.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
paulheyman
LOL @ TNA competing with WWE. Hey, let's have Emachines compete with Microsoft, Shock Top compete with Budweiser, or how about Eidos competing with Square Enix? It can not, will not happen...ever.

The reason isn't that the WWE is just that much better, but WWE is just too big to compete with right now. WCW stood a good chance because they were already as big as the WWF at the beginning of both companies, so that was a hard fought battle. If, and I stress the word "if", TNA ever starts to come close to that level, Vince will stamp it out like he always does.