WWE Looking To Announce WM29 Main Event Soon

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
CM Punk would be the ideal opponent for Brock Lesnar in every aspect.
Why's that? No way would Brock come back for someone like Punk.

Merging this with the other thread aswell.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Think that would be kind of the point though. Feuding with Austin would be huge for Punk's career and solidifying his main event status which is usually the point of why u bring back older wrestlers. Like with Rock/Hogan Rock at the time was in the midst of his big face run where fans were starting to slowly turn on him and really wasn't on Hogan's level who is one of if not the biggest star in the history of wrestling and that feud and match was huge for Rock's career in solidifying his status. Same could be done with Punk/Austin

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
I'm with you on the Austin/Punk possibility. Sure i'd like to see it but the difference in star quality between the two would be enormous, I dunno if I would be able to buy into it. Hell, I don't even think Cena is anywhere close to Rocks level, but at least I can buy into him as a credibl threat to The Rock whereas I don't think I could do the same with Punk / Austin.

This has a lot to do with m hesitation. No disrespect to Punk, but he's not in Austin's league. Only reason I think people want to see this is because they became Punk marks last summer. It's not two guys who are on the same level, i.e Rock and Cena. It's arguably the most popular wrestler of all time against someone who's face momentum started to dwindle a few months ago.

As far as Austin vs Lesnar goes, even though it pretty muh falls in the same category as Punk, I would like to see it just to see Austin do the job he was supposed to do 10 years ago

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I been a Punk mark for like 7-8 years do that isn't why I want to see it happen. Like I said win or lose it would actually help Punk's status to feud with Austin. Plus want to see it because they both want to do it which makes me think that they will be able to put together something special since Austin hasn't expressed much interest of coming back into the ring until the idea of facing Punk came up and this is the most he has wanted to comeback since retiring so he obviously sees something in Punk. While Punk doesn't have the same momentum he did during the summer he is still in a great position where he is the undisputed top face after Cena and is in their long term plans.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I get that but I don't see Punk as being a credible face challenger for him. We have seen Punk as a heel and knows how that story plays out, accept it will be worse .

Cena to me is on another level. Rock has been bringing it up in his promo. He can at least be mentioned in the same breath as Austin, Hogan, and Rock. This is where Jericho truly hurts Punk imo. If he was facing Trips, Taker, Michaels, Batista or a guy of that level and looked good then won at Mania, it would be a logical stepping stone to Austin/Rock. Jericho can't do that for him because Jericho has no sense of self preservation when it comes to losing to the right guys at the right time sp beating him means far less for Punk's growth and evolution into the next tier.

You don't go from likely opening a show or being the third main even at best with Jericho to headlining every Raw and Mania with Austin, you just don't. It isn't believeable to me, maybe at 30 after a better opponent than Jericho at 29.

Cena in that spot can be believed. Orton even though he can't talk like a main event guy is believable and can be tweaked into a threat and superman pushed into the Legend Killer again or a different breed of Viper.

Last edited:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Whats the point of doing it though from a storyline standpoint though? We already have this biggest match ever thing with Rock/Cena so if you try and claim that again with Cena/Austin you kinda shit on Rock and that feud. There really isn't a point. Plus you're saying it like whoever faces Austin has to be heel so that would mean Cena would have to be heel and well yeah we'll see if WWE has the balls to do it. I think they can do Punk/Austin without having to actually turn Punk heel and do a Austin thinks Punk has lost his edge type storyline and vice versa. I just feel like you can do more with Austin/Punk than you can with Cena/Austin and could actually use Austin coming back for more than just generating dollars but also putting Punk on another level which Austin doesn't seem to have an issue with since he seems to like Punk a lot and wants to work with him.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
You beat Rock once at Mania ... I did it twice and I can beat you unlike him because I was better
You are the face of this PG WWE ... I was the face drinking beer, flipping off the boss, and cussing

Far more to work with than Punk. Punk doesn't preach straight edge making him better than guys anymore, it is just his choice. He did that as a heel, a chicken shit heel who got squashed by everyone he met despite the numbers advantages. What exactly do they have to feud over? It ain't about being the best in the world for sure as Austin has never proclaimed that.

Cena and Austin can feud over being the best WWE champ of all time, the best star of all time, the bigger icon and legend. Punk really lacks that credibility. Part of why I didn't want him with Jericho in the first place is that beating Jericho meant nothing for him. It isn't important. It isn't noteworthy or ground changing. It isn't even WM moment worthy at the WWE title level, like it was for Christian. It's just a little W, which he should not have been relegated to. They should have gotten him someone worth damn and with credibility if they were going to spend money to bring a guy back for him, it should have been Dave because Punk would have had a payoff and become bigger. Jericho is to blame truly because he has no sense of losing at the right time and place like Trips or Cena or Orton or Dave, which is a damn shame for a guy they put over Rock and Austin in one night, as he shouldn't be a perpetual mid careder or transitional/b-show champ and headliner at best

Rock might think he is better than Austin (bigger ain't arguable) and Cena might, but we have never heard Austin once if his life say he was better than him. HE could very well be pissed off and find it disrespectful those two mealy mouth sons of bitches spent the better part of a year and Mania disrespecting him and his rightful place in history and want to whoop a man named Cena's ass. That ain't that far fetched or hard to book and the payoff is bigger for Cena, the company, the fans, and Austin himself. It also gives Cena logical succession on the way to the Streak .... HBK, Batista, Rock, HHH, Orton, Edge .... all lead to the Streak and conscious of the WWE at WM30 in Taker as he has went through every legend there was first

Last edited:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
We're already seeing the WWE PG vs Attitude era aspect with Cena/Rock which is my point. It'll basically be the same storyline all over again minus the you left WWE for movies part. If the logic is Rock and Austin can only face guys of this generation who can match them star power wise then it'll just be Cena. Like I said with Punk/Austin you have the aspect of Austin bringing up how Punk already is starting to his edge. Punk could bring up the same against him. Have it be the two edgy guys of their time periods going against each other like I said which that alone will make Punk seem like a bigger deal. Then you can go and add stuff like the beer drinking character vs the straight edge guy, and things of that nature. If you do it right you can keep building Punk as a big face of this time period why pass up on the chance to make Punk a bigger name so Cena isn't your only go to guy of this current generation?

Even if you aren't the biggest Punk fan in the world you still have to admit that feuding Punk with Austin will make Punk a bigger deal therefore helping out WWE in the long run and helping his career out. You talk about cred well you only get cred by putting them in situations to get it. Cena didn't become a big name overnight they worked to get there giving him big names to work with doing what they could to make him a star. You have to do that with others if you don't wanna be in a situation where if Cena went down you wouldn't be in uh oh we're fucked situation. I mean shit you didn't Punk would ever ever get to the point he is at now but he did it and all it took was a little opportunity so let him have another one to take his career and name value to the next level rather than give it to a guy who is capped out when it comes to his name value in Cena.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
But Cena and even Batista didn't jump from a Jericho status opponent to an Austin level one. The problem to me is the jump itself because it is a gigantic leap. There has to be natural progression for proper cementing as that 1B imo.

I'm not saying give Punk nothing. Just give him a higher level opponent and then a big name. Even turning Orton heel and then having Punk beat him would be better. Or beating HHH who has cemented plenty of guys in his career and could be the evil boss this time next year. Then you look at a Rock, Austin guy for 30 when Punk is at a higher tier than he is now and could look like enough of a threat to make the match truly big.

Don't you think it is better natural progression for Cena to go HBK, HHH, Edge, Batista, Rock, Austin, and then Taker at 30? Taker is built as the pinnacle and conscious of the company, its longest tenured vet, and has the streak. I think you can use Austin to set that up.

Last edited:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Not really because like I said Cena is capped out at this point so progression means nothing when it comes to him. He isn't gonna get any bigger than he is now. Everything that happens now is just adding to his resume rather than actually doing anything progression wise. I will agree that if they wanted to help Punk's 1B status he needed a bigger opponent than Jericho (Would have personally liked if they held off Punk/HHH so it could happen at mania) but I don't think it should stop him from facing Austin if they build it up right since that is a whole year from now so not like they don't have time to add cred to Punk if they wanted. Esp when you consider Punk last year went from midcarder to a legit 1b face in a matter of weeks with Cena. So if that can happen considering how big Cena is since people are saying he is Rock's equal and all then that means they can obviously book Punk/Austin and it won't look weird as long as they don't fuck it up.