WWE Hell In A Cell 2009 Review

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
WWE Hell In A Cell 2009 Review (The World Title Bouts)

A hell in a cell PPV idea is something I'm not raving about since I've said multiple times that I feel the only time a HIAC match should be introduced into a storyline is when a storyline has gotten so intense and the two wrestlers seriously hate eachother. Cena/Orton I would say is perfect for a HIAC match at that point in history, But DX/Legacy & Taker/Punk weren't developed much to warrant a HIAC match. I will only be reviewing the main events for this PPV since I watched the DVD when I was alone and I only watched the main events.

CM Punk vs. The Undertaker (World Heavyweight Championship)

Prior to the match, Undertaker closed the door himself and it rattled shut. The camera then showed Punk's face and he looked petrified. The cage got introduced fairly quickly as Taker used the cage to scathe Punk. CM Punk tried a snifty move. Punk transmitted through the bottom of the ring to the other side of the ring then kicked the steps into Taker's face. One spot that I noted down was a legdrop by Taker on Punk whilst his head was halfway over the edge of the ring. Another one was a missile dive through the middle rope. Considering this was a PPV where the show has 3 HIAC matches, It's not shocking that Smackdown has to perform first; Perhaps WWE were concerned that the novelty of a HIAC match may wear off after seeing 3 straight HIAC Matches. Several weapons were introduced throughout the contest but the first one was a chair as Punk hit Taker with a thunderous blow. Punk came close to losing the match when he gave Taker a kick to the head, Taker reversed and hit a last ride. Seconds after, Punk got clotheslined and tombstoned. Undertaker pinned Punk for the 3 count. What seemed like a rushed finish considering Punk dominated the first few moments, This was a really poor finish since Punk didn't get to retaliate at all.

Match Rating: ★★ 1/4

WWE Hell In A Cell 2009 - John Cena vs. Randy Orton - Hell In A Cell

Fantastic video package before the match. The attitude adjustment on the top of the HIAC in the video package looked like it hurt. This feud has been on-and-off for 2 years and after watching every single match between the two, I've enjoyed 3/4 the matches. This match is regarded as the best Cena/Orton match. The announcers claim that this is Orton's last match against Cena for the Title & if he doesn't gain the belt back, he will need to wait until someone else is the holder.

As soon as the match begins, Orton attempts to open the cage to escape. He can't do this and he gets angry but Cena comes along and returns the action to the ring. Orton dominates Cena during the opening minutes. Cole and Lawler explain that the cage has been reinforced for the match. Cena goes for a quick pin as he FUs Orton but Orton counters the move and gets a two.

The action spills to the outside where you can hear "Randy Orton.. Nobody likes you anymore!" as a little girl shouts at him. Cena gets his head rammed into the steel steps and then Orton stands on his head and stands on his hand. A funny yet non-PG moment occurs when Orton tries to throw the steel steps in the ring but they bounce against the top rope and hit Orton's head. This provokes a massive cheer and "HAHAHA!" from the crowd. Orton throws the steps through the ropes and then puts his middle finger to the fans - Right infront of the camera.

Orton tries to do his DDT while Cena's legs are on the ropes but he did it so Cena's head would land on the steel steps. Cena counters and chucks Orton over the ropes. A near awesome move happens where Cena shows his inner-heel and goes to throw the steel steps at Orton (Who's head is propped up against the cage). Orton moves but that looked pretty sick.

Several times throughout this match, Orton and Cena encounter eachothers finishing moves. Orton taps out to the STF but the referee has been knocked down. Cena helps the ref back up but when he turns around, Orton RKOs him. Cena kicks out and the fans go crazy. This has been a really amazing match. Cena's arms are tied into the ropes. Orton has an evil look on his face.

The conclusion of this match happens when Cena's laying on the floor and Randy punts him violently. Randy then covers Cena for the 3 count. Orton's expression changed the second he punted Cena.

Overall, Orton really played his character well in this match. Orton won his last chance and that sets up another Cena/Orton match for the next PPV. This match was full of tons of finishing moves/spots and I actually really liked it.

Match Rating: ★★★ 3/4