WP's R-A-M Tournament Round 2 Match 7

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Which Song You Prefer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake Awesome

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
To Be With You - Mr Big
One of the great unrequited love songs, "To Be With You" has a true story behind it. Mr. Big lead singer Eric Martin wrote the song when he was still a teenager - 16 or 17 in his estimation. The girl was Patricia Reynolds, and he had it bad for her.

"We were really, really good friends," Martin said in our interview. "I was totally enamored with this woman. She was beautiful. Smart. I mean, brains, beauty, break down the walls, made me crawl on my belly like a reptile!

I just loved this woman, but she just wanted to be my friend. She'd have tons of boyfriends, and maybe she misconstrued promiscuity for love. But I wanted to be the knight in shining armor. That's what I was, a knight in shining armor. But basically, I didn't get my feet wet. I wrote it about how I would have done anything to just be more than a friend and a confidante."
By the time he put this song together, Eric Martin knew that he and Patricia were not to be. He had a different motivation by this point: "I wrote it mainly to impress my sister's girlfriends," he said.
This song has very spare instrumentation, mainly just a bass drum, acoustic guitar and hand claps. This is a key component of the song, as it accentuates the heart-rending lyrics.

Eric Martin completed the song with David Grahame, a songwriter his publisher teamed him up with. Grahame was in the Beatlemania show - he played Paul McCartney. The cassette demo Martin had made of "To Be With You" was in the folk vein; when Grahame heard it, he thought of the Beatles song "Give Peace A Chance," which uses a spare, improvised percussion and group chorus. He suggested they do something similar with "To Be With You," and it worked, giving the song a distinct sound that draws out the story.
Mr. Big is not a one-hit-wonder (the follow-up "Just Take My Heart" hit #16), but this is far and away their most popular song, and the only one to get enduring airplay. It's also not typical of their sound, which leans toward harder rock (check out "Daddy, Brother, Lover, Little Boy (The Electric Drill Song)" to hear the contrast). When "To Be With You" saturated the airwaves, their audience shifted, with a lot more girls coming to their shows. This turned off some of their hard-core fans, but Eric Martin still holds the song in highest regard.

"I love the vocal, I love the production of the song, I love singing it every night," he told us. "I've never felt like it was a curse at all. Because 'To Be With You' is on the lead-in to an album, and the album is like a smorgasbord of musical ideas and it's tons of variation on that record."
Lean Into It was Mr. Big's second album. Their first, self-titled album was released in 1989 and had a modest impact in both America and Japan. When "To Be With You" was issued, it quickly became a massive global hit, going to #1 in at least 12 countries, including America, Australia and Canada. Mr. Big fell off in popularity in ensuing years everywhere but Japan, where they became wildly popular. In 2011, the band played their 100th show in that country.
The music video did very well on MTV, which at the time still devoted most of their programing to videos. It was directed by Nancy Bennett, who also did the Led Zeppelin tribute video Encomium and worked on the TV series NewNowNext Music.
This wasn't the first single from the album - a song called "Green-Tinted Sixties Mind" was. "To Be With You" was only issued as a single after radio stations started playing it from the album.
[YOUTUBE]kTtQtO1bNZY[/YOUTUBE]

vs

Play with Me by Extreme
"Play with Me" is Extreme's first single from their self-titled debut album. It is one of the band's best known songs as well as a popular list song. It includes a fast and complex guitar solo by guitarist Nuno Bettencourt, and takes its intro riffs from Mozart's Alla turca.

The lyrics list a wide variety of children's games, toys, and playground songs, and includes backing vocals from The Lollipop Kids. The bridge consists of K-I-S-S-I-N-G, sung by the band with their voices altered to make them sound like children. It includes the line, "Then comes Nuno in a baby carriage," which is immediately followed by a fast guitar lick that ends with Shave and a Haircut, segueing into the guitar solo.

The song was featured in the movie Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure during the mall-chase scene, as well as in Jury Duty as Pauly Shore's stripping song.

A cover of the song appeared on the PlayStation 2 game Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s as the final track in the game. It is claimed that the high popularity the song gained by its inclusion in Guitar Hero was the reason the band decided to reunite in 2007, as it sparked their popularity once again. A master version of the track appears in the video game Guitar Hero: Smash Hits.

The song was released to radio stations but not on a CD single or vinyl. It was released on the Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure soundtrack.
[YOUTUBE]9Hg59w4CbR0[/YOUTUBE]

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Gotta' go with Mr. Big here.

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
Yeah. Mr. Big gets my vote as well, it's a solid track.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I love To be with You so that had to be my vote.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses

Jake Awesome