WP's R-A-M Tournament Round 2 Match 16

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Which Song You Got

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
How I Can Just Kill A Man - by Cypress Hill
"How I Could Just Kill a Man" is the debut single by hip hop group Cypress Hill from their eponymous debut album, Cypress Hill, and was their first major hit in 1991. It was released as a double A-side to "The Phuncky Feel One" and the music video featured cameos by A Tribe Called Quest's Q-Tip and Ice Cube, with whom the group would later feud. It was re-released in 1999 with Spanish lyrics and a new video. It is featured as the first track on their greatest hits compilation "Greatest Hits From the Bong". The song was also featured on the 2004 video game Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, appearing on the West Coast hip hop station Radio Los Santos. It was voted #79 in About.com's Top 100 Rap Songs.

Towards the end of the song (approximately the last 30 seconds) someone is heard saying, "All I wanted was a Pepsi". This quote is taken from the well-known Suicidal Tendencies song, "Institutionalized".

In 2001, Cypress Hill included a sequel to the song on their album Stoned Raiders entitled "Here Is Something You Can't Understand", using the same chorus but with new verses from B-Real, Sen Dog and guest Kurupt..
[YOUTUBE]JlzDUbX2Vgg[/YOUTUBE]

vs

Sailing by Chrisotpher Cross
In our interview with Christopher Cross, he explained the writing process for this song:

"I was just at home sitting in this cheap apartment, sitting at the table. I remember coming up with the verse and chorus, and the lyrics to the first verse of the chorus all came out. These tunings, like Joni used to say, they get you in this sort of trance, so all that came out at once: 'It's not far down to paradise...' The chorus just sort of came out.

So I got up and wandered around the apartment just thinking, 'Wow, that's pretty f--kin' great.' I just thought, "That's really cool." So then I sat down and had to try to come up with other stuff to make the rest of the song, but I thought I had something there.

Then it took about two years before I had a bridge to that song, because the modality of the modal tuning thing, it gets pretty linear, and you've got to be careful. There are writers - I won't mention who - whose songs can get kind of boring because everything's this modality. So I knew I needed to lift the song out of that modality in the bridge and make key changes.

It took about two years before I came up with the bridge that changes all the keys to where it lifts, but it was a pretty special moment."
Cross wrote this song about his memories sailing every summer with a friend in Texas. The song became a classic example of "Yacht Rock," which was a term used to define a form of easy listening music favored by the rich. And what defines yacht music better than a song about sailing? (thanks, Tim - Columbia, SC)
On the Howard Stern radio show, Cross explained that sailing with his friend got him away from the trials and tribulations of being a teenager. Cross said that if the guy had taken him bowling and he enjoyed it, the song could have become "Bowling."
Michael Omartian, who was Cross' producer, also contributed keyboards and background vocals to the album. Omartian has worked on many hit songs - he co-wrote "She Works Hard For The Money" and produced "We Are The World" with Quincy Jones. Jay Graydon, who is also a hit songwriter and producer, played guitar on the Christopher Cross album. He singles out Omartian and David Foster as guys who are great to have in sessions: "These guys are just incredible musicians. I'm pretty good at doing string stuff and synth overdubs, and of course guitar overdubs and stuff, but you bring good guys in, then it gets really masterful." (read more in our interview with Jay Graydon)
Christopher Cross won three Grammy awards for this song: Record Of The Year, Song of the Year, and Best Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist. The following year he won an Oscar for Best Song with his "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)" from the Dudley Moore movie Arthur. His second album Another Page was released in 1983. That album contained "Think Of Laura," which was his last Top 40 hit. (thanks, Bertrand - Paris, France)
This was Christopher Cross' second single, following his #2 charting "Ride Like The Wind." Cross considers "Sailing" a "complete" song and one of the best he's written, but he never thought it would be a hit. "I thought the song was way too introspective," he told us.

Some of Buckingham's vocals for the song are sung in falsetto..
[YOUTUBE]9jhFReWopk8[/YOUTUBE]

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
sorry guys I messed up the other poll and closed it to early so please
[MENTION=51]Anaconda Vice[/MENTION] [MENTION=92]Jimmy King[/MENTION] [MENTION=121]Wang Chung[/MENTION] [MENTION=60]The Linebacker[/MENTION] [MENTION=1]DJ Punk[/MENTION] [MENTION=75]Champagne Charlie[/MENTION] [MENTION=79]Sabretooth[/MENTION] and everyone else vote in this thread

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I think it's gotta be Cypress Hill.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Since I voted for Sailing once can I vote for it again and have it count twice? :lol:

It really is a brilliant piece of songwriting and I fucking love it.

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
Sticking with Cypress Hill

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
[MENTION=121]Wang Chung[/MENTION] [MENTION=75]Champagne Charlie[/MENTION] [MENTION=79]Sabretooth[/MENTION] can you guys please vote in this and the other 3 remaining contests

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Cypress Hill on this one, not a massive fan of either though tbh.