WP's R-A-M Tournament Round 2 Match 11

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

What Song do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Lido Shuffle by Boz Scaggs
Boz Scaggs wrote this song with David Paich, who was also his co-writer on "Lowdown." In our 2013 interview with Scaggs, he talked about how the song came about: "'Lido' was a song that I'd been banging around. And I kind of stole... well, I didn't steal anything. I just took the idea of the shuffle. There was a song that Fats Domino did called 'The Fat Man' that had a kind of driving shuffle beat that I used to play on the piano, and I just started kind of singing along with it. Then I showed it to Paich and he helped me fill it out. It ended up being 'Lido Shuffle.'"
The song is about a drifter looking for a big score. Scaggs and Paich were both very good at crafting songs with intriguing storylines using words and phrases that don't often show up in a lyric: "A tombstone bar," "makin' like a beeline..."

The name Lido is very unusual as well. From the perspective of songcraft, it's very versatile, allowing the singer to get clear vocal sounds and follow with the "whoa-oh-oh-oh" hook. Kenny Loggins did something similar on his song "Footloose," writing the character "Milo" into it ("Woah... Milo, come on, come on let's go").
The last single from Silk Degrees, this wasn't released until about a year after the album was issued. The first single, "It's Over," peaked in May, 1976; "Lido Shuffle" didn't reach its chart peak until May, 1977. The Silk Degrees album was a slow burner, gradually gaining momentum and selling over five million copies.
The song's co-writer David Paich played keyboards on this track. Scaggs played guitar, bass was handled by David Hungate, and Jeff Porcaro played drums. Paich, Hungate and Porcaro would soon form the band Toto.
[YOUTUBE]0zcSJU80dLU[/YOUTUBE]

vs

Your Love by The Outfield
With a distinctive guitar riff and an unforgettable opening line, "Your Love" became one of the most memorable hits of the '80s. When lead singer Tony Lewis declares, "Josie's on a vacation far away, come around and talk it over," we know he's up to something. Our hero spends the rest of the song in seduction mode, trying to convince this girl (probably and ex-girlfriend) to have a one-night-stand. He pulls every trick from the player's handbook:

Nobody Will Ever Know ("Stay the night but keep it undercover")
I Really Need Comfort ("Another shoulder to cry upon")
I Don't Know Where Else To Turn ("I ain't got many friends left to talk to")
It Won't Mean Anything ("I just wanna use your love tonight")

Does he capture his prey? We never find out, but it's clear that Josie deserves better.
Formed in Manchester, England and signed to Columbia Records as "The Baseball Boys," the group changed their name to The Outfield and released their debut album Play Deep in 1985. Like all of their original songs, "Your Love" was written by the band's guitarist, John Spinks, who died of liver cancer in 2014 at age 60.

The song became an '80s classic and the showcase song for the band, which scored four more Top 40 hits: "All the Love in the World" (#19, 1985), "Since You've Been Gone" (#31, 1987), "Voices of Babylon" (#25, 1989) and "For You" (#21, 1990).
In 2013, Saturday Night Live did a skit based on this song where host Josh Hutcherson speaks in the song's lyrics, trying to convince Josie's friend to have an affair. In the skit, Hutcherson is Josie's younger brother. It's a great visualization of the dynamic, as the girl rebuffs him at first, but is drawn in when he gets to the blue talk ("I can't hide the way I'm feelin'...").
[YOUTUBE]c-Dx99cAdKE[/YOUTUBE]

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
So close but I went with The Outfield by a slim margin. One of the best tunes EVAH~!

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
this one is hard as fuck to me... I need more time to decide

Jimmy King

It’s Britney, bitch
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
DjUmJN2
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Sports Team
padres
Favorite Sports Team
Zjaonp3
It was indeed tough, but I went with Your Love.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Lido Shuffle gets this one for me.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Went with Your Love

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
[MENTION=79]Sabretooth[/MENTION] [MENTION=1]DJ Punk[/MENTION] [MENTION=60]The Linebacker[/MENTION] please vote in this poll today sirs

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler