Where in the World is CM Punk?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I can't work up any passion about this either way anymore. It was a hot topic when Punk left and a frustrating situation for all involved, one I wanted to just keep my eye on and listen to how people react as more news and info came out, but that didn't really happen.

My actual thoughts on Punk are mixed. He's one of my favourite wrestlers but now that some time has passed - and without knowing the exact reason for what he did - I still think he handled things poorly by throwing his hands up and walking out. Wrestlemania was around the corner and he could've easily waited 'till June to severe ties any way he wanted while getting paid. All things considered, it looks like Punk acted on impulse.

It's not controversial to say but it's worth repeating that until the story cracks more in the future, we still can't assume THE reason Punk left. Was he actually mad that a part-timer was taking the Wrestlemania headline spot (again), or at Batista personally? Or was he simply mad about Daniel Bryan getting another bronze medal for all his effort? Alternately, was Punk just upset that he himself didn't get what he wanted, at the Rumble and probably 'Mania? Was the issue more nuanced, a combination of all those possible reasons? Or none of them? Then when you consider Punk already admitted in interviews to being burnt out, and who the hell knows. Unless you're a psychologist who can analyze someone's motives without ever speaking with them, and have more knowledge about Punk's personality and schedule than the public does, you can't reasonably piece together a conclusion yet.

I feel pretty confident about one thing though: If Punk ever (or has to) changes his mind and Vince believes he can make so much as a dollar in profit from it, Punk will be back. Time usually heals wounds like this. Another thing I'll mention and this coming from Punk fan, I have a hard time believing Punk was ever treated badly by WWE. Between a LONG ass title reign (which imo was mostly poorly booked after Jericho but anyway), Undertaker at WM29, his programs with Cena, teaming with Heyman, two MITB's and so on, I can't really take the idea of Punk being held down seriously.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
You know that's the reason he left? Forreal? I'm sure it contributed... but the only reason? C'mon bro. He said himself for months that he was sick of how they kept dodging Daniel Bryan. He also voiced his displeasure with WWE not telling anyone how they planned on paying the superstars for the PPV events now that they had the Network.
I bet he would have had no problem overshadowing Daniel Bryan had he been promised the title at Mania or a main event with Austin though..

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
I bet he would have had no problem overshadowing Daniel Bryan had he been promised the title at Mania or a main event with Austin though..
Oh, I'm not saying that. But I believe Punk's a fan enough that he wants to see the guy the crowd clearly supports the most get his shot... and I also know from every interview I've ever seen that anyone who is truly a friend of Punk has his support 100%.

I also don't believe anyone in the industry would actually have something against Punk/Austin main eventing a Mania though... that would really be best for business if it happened.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I also don't believe anyone in the industry would actually have something against Punk/Austin main eventing a Mania though... that would really be best for business if it happened.
Calling bullshit on this too. So all the guys who've been dead set against Rock etc coming back and taking their spots, would now magically be ok with it because it's Punk?

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Calling bullshit on this too. So all the guys who've been dead set against Rock etc coming back and taking their spots, would now magically be ok with it because it's Punk?
I always found that anti Rock stuff hilarious...."We don't want him, he will bring in more fan interest" "terk mer jerb!!!" Like anyone on that roster would sell as much buys with Cena as Rock did.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
The Rock took a title............. Austin/Punk would more than likely just be about them. If it was about the title, it's almost guaranteed Austin doesn't pick the thing up. And there is actually buzz for a Punk/Austin match... whereas, I don't think anyone other than Vince and his writers and the investors gave a fuck about a Rock/Cena match.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
The Rock took a title............. Austin/Punk would more than likely just be about them. If it was about the title, it's almost guaranteed Austin doesn't pick the thing up. And there is actually buzz for a Punk/Austin match... whereas, I don't think anyone other than Vince and his writers and the investors gave a fuck about a Rock/Cena match.

Won match of the year in a legit fan vote. :rock3::vince5::cena4:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I'm not seeing the issue with someone wanting themselves positioned better while having others positioned better as well. No shit Punk wanted a better spot for himself why wouldn't he? You can want better for yourself while wanting better for others around you at the same time without it being bullshit.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I'm not seeing the issue with someone wanting themselves positioned better while having others positioned better as well. No shit Punk wanted a better spot for himself why wouldn't he? You can want better for yourself while wanting better for others around you at the same time without it being bullshit.

It's just the fact that he left when he didn't get a better spot instead of waiting it out and giving himself a chance to get a better spot. He took the Austin route and it didn't even work for Austin when he was a much bigger star. I still don't have a problem with Punk, but he handled this the wrong way and the jokes that can be made from it are pretty funny.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
It's just the fact that he left when he didn't get a better spot instead of waiting it out and giving himself a chance to get a better spot. He took the Austin route and it didn't even work for Austin when he was a much bigger star. I still don't have a problem with Punk, but he handled this the wrong way and the jokes that can be made from it are pretty funny.
He was speaking hypothetically, IF THAT WAS what he left about. You're still saying it like it's 100% guaranteed that is why Punk left. The guy is admittedly not a fan of the travel and how much you have to work. He's burnt out. He has BEEN saying he's burnt out. Why can't people accept that as the reason he may have left?

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Just doesn't seem to be the general consensus, plus if that were the case WWE probably wouldn't be blackballing him near as bad. No matter what the reason was, he still didn't honor his contract that he signed, so in no way whatsoever did he handle whatever happened in a good way.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Just doesn't seem to be the general consensus, plus if that were the case WWE probably wouldn't be blackballing him near as bad. No matter what the reason was, he still didn't honor his contract that he signed, so in no way whatsoever did he handle whatever happened in a good way.
How is he being blackballed at all!? LMFAO, do you know what blackballing means? WWE hasn't restricted him from anything! Or dragged his name through the mud. Not once!

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
CM-Punk-face.jpg

Also way to ignore the walking out on his contract portion of my post and literally focusing on one word "LMFAO"

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Also way to ignore the walking out on his contract portion of my post and literally focusing on one word "LMFAO"
That ONE WORD was a very big and powerful word... it carries a lot of meaning and negative connotations with it. If you knew the definition, you would know that, and you would know it is absolutely not the case with what WWE is doing with Punk. Hell, like I said, they're still paying him royalties for his merch, which they didn't do for AUSTIN...........

Also, you don't know what he honored or didn't honor. It's 2014, we understand more about the business and the downfalls of it. We know how and why guys end up in bad shape, more or less, from all of the travel and demands. Even with guys not working 300 MATCHES a year anymore, they're still making more appearances than ever. And we're talking about a guy who said he slept maybe 30 minutes tops a night, FOR MONTHS! And he's not a guy who replenishes his energy with a vice... he doesn't use to get rid of the pain. Vince can't fault him for living a clean lifestyle.

Regardless, this whole thing may very well still be a work. They did report they wanted to do a summer of Punk this year... what better way to do that than make people think he's actually gone? Especially after they botched the being gone part of the last appearance? And Paul Heyman out here suggesting that Phil and Vince haven't talked, but Vince has clearly stated to board members he has been in contact with Punk and Punk saying he and Vince are more like great personal friends rather than these massive enemies...

Even if it isn't a work, how can you still say he hasn't honored his contract? A couple months? We're not talking about Undertaker's 4 physical appearances a year and a handful of at-home recorded interviews... we're talking one of the most committed workers on the roster the last 10 years.