What Have You Been Reading Lately

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Jurassic Park by Michael Chrichton

I picked this up Friday for something to read, and almost finished it off since then. Having been a big fan of the movie, yet never reading the book I wanted to finally get that done. After the First Iteration I already knew how the book was so much better.

Some of the theories about dinosaurs have clearly changed, mainly the optical capabilities of the Tyrannosaur, which does make some areas of the book a little difficult to read, but it seems like regardless of what is happening, I just cant wait to get to the next Ian Malcolm part.

Jiso

Reaction score
Finished the Game of Thrones series about a month ago.

At the moment I'm going between Great Expectations and 1Q84

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Finished Jurassic Park and now onto The Lost World.

Didn't like the idea of Ian Malcolm being dead at the end of JP, and as of where I am there has been little to answer what had happened other than "news stations had reported him dead" considering at the end of the book one of the people with Malcolm told Alan Grant he had died.

The book has retconned Genarro, in the novel he survives to leave the island, and later dies of dysentery(which effects the colon), in the movie he was eaten off the crapper, in what is one of the most well known scene of the franchise.

Cant believe it has taken me 20 years to finally read these.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Steve Berry - The King's Deception

This book is part of Berry's Cotton Malone series, have read all the previous ones so picked this one up even though the series has dropped in quality lately. This time it all occurs in England and Malone gets stuck in the middle of a international battle trying to expose a centuries old secret in order to prevent the release of a convicted terrorist. The secret itself is an interesting idea but some of the story is a bit weak. Didn't really enjoy the underlying personal battle that was going on and think the story would have been better without it. One of those books where they could have easily cut 75 pages from it and it wouldn't have hurt the story. Still prefer his older historical thrillers.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
After Dark - Haruki Murakami 9/10

This was my first ever Murakami book and I was very impressed and intend on buying another soon. First thing I liked was how it is very character driven, and conversational, very little actually happens, but the dialogue is so well written and characters so rich than it had me hanging on every word, also there is a mystery to the characters which allows you to fill the blanks in for yourself. It was good how the style of the writing changed for a different character and how the thriller elements merged with the more human aspects. There are interesting themes about life in it, but they never felt over done to me. Great book.

I am now reading Mindy Kaling's book Is Everyone Hanging Out Without me? (and other concerns)

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
James Patterson & Maxine Petro - 11th Hour

The eleventh book in the Women's Murder Club series, read all the others so had to continue on and read this. This time there are two main storylines in the book, one is a rogue cop killing drug dealers and another is a group of heads found buried at a local mansion. Book was okay, don't think the two stories really worked that well together and it didn't blend well at all. One of those books where you can switch your mind off and read it in a day. Will probably get the 12th just to continue the series, no real point stopping now.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Sarah Churchwell Careless People Murder, Mayhem and The Invention of The Great Gatsby 7.5/10

This book charts the history of the writing of the Great Gatsby, as well as many of the real life stories which inspired it, it also gives an insight into the lives of Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald. The most interesting aspect of the book to me was how it revealed just where the idea of Celebrity and the power of the press truly begin. Some of the stories from the time are just laughable. It also does a good job of getting under the skin of the novelist and his wife, but also leaving enough about their lives as a mystery and some of the lack lusture critical responses of Gatsby make for good reading. At times there are a little too much information or characters and the book does jump about a little, but I still really enjoyed it.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Just finished House of Hades by Rick Riordan and I loved it. 9th book in the series and I'm going to be sad to see it all end in the final book. Based off his previous books, I know its going to be a huge ending though.

Now I'm reading "Witches and Wizards" by James Patterson and I'm liking it. Its a simplified writing, which is different for him, even for his younger audience books, but its very easy to follow and allows you to just wiz right through it.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
JG Ballard - The Atrocity Exhibition (1970) 8/10

Am a big Ballard fan (from the little I have read), and this is another deeply disturbing, but brilliantly thought provoking book filled of adept observations, and inventive writing. It formed many of the ideas which would make up his book Crash.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
6377423_orig.jpg

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Twitchy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
heathslater
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
alsnow
Favorite Wrestler
melina
Matching Consumer's with Assistive Technology.

Fun right?