Week 1: PHX vs Liam

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

icedragone

Reaction score
Xbw

Check us out!! We just started and don't have much yet, but we're getting there. First show will be up by sunday or monday:peace: :flag_usa:

Kool Aid Man

Reaction score
lol it's your fault if any of you BW Wrestlers get fucked up for life. Just Remember that.

Baller

Reaction score
PHX is the home debater and may choose which side he wants first. He has 24 hours to choose, or it becomes a free for all.

Debaters you have till Sunday at Midnight to debate the following topic, good luck:

Should WWE eliminate NXT, and go back to introducing guys via vignettes or stick with the current system?

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I will be for eliminating NXT

Lets first off just look at each winner of NXT so far.
Season 1: Wade Barrett - This was as good as it got and will ever get when it comes to this show's winner going on to do something with his career. Led the Nexus stable that quickly made an impact and had a great feud with Cena.

Season 2: Kaval aka Low Ki - Ended up going to Smackdown and lost just about every match except one and then got a I.C title match which he lost. Not too long after he gets released so ended up being a waste of time.

Season 3: Kaitlyn - Pretty much has been mia most of her time in WWE since winning NXT making appearances here and there with no kind of purpose despite actually having a feud on NXT itself.

Season 4: Johnny Curtis - The deal was the winner and his pro would get a tag title shot and well no tag title shot ever happened and he didn't even appear on T.V until a month plus and is doing some of the cheesy segments you've ever seen.

Outside of the winner of the first one the winners have made little impact making it seem like they would be better off just debuting the old fashion way. Usually when they did those they would have a successful start and ended up getting a feud. But those aren't even the most important reasoning as to why vignettes beat winning a contest to get a guy on a roster. That reason is character. During those contest they don't really get much of a chance to build a character or have a gimmick. Rather they are stuck doing silly things like selling programs that have nothing to do with being a WWE superstar or diva.

I mean you Del Rio who debuted with vignettes who got the audience ready for how his character was and explained why the character was how it was. You do not get that chance during NXT to do any of that best you might get to show character is catchphrases and monikers which only do so much.

liamjr24

Reaction score
While the impact of NXT contestants is becoming increasingly limited, I think that the NXT programme should continue for a number of reasons.

The first of these is that while recent winners have not proven to be instant hits, one only has to look at The Miz for an example of a contestant who's impact was gradual. When he came second in WWE Tough Enough (either season 2 or 3), I don't think much (if anything) was heard from him for about 3 or 4 years. Fast forward to 2011, he's headlining Wrestlemania (albeit in the shadows of The Rock and that talentless wanker).

Reason 2 is that viewers can get used to the NXT talent both outside and inside the ring. If I watch a series of vignettes, I have no idea how the guy featured in them wrestles, but I'm supposed to buy into his character and ability the second he walks out for his debut? I don't think so.

Thirdly, in the past vignettes were usually reserved for wrestler's who had previous somewhere else and so were going to be sent to upper mid-card straight away. NXT has, in a number of cases, been used to develop fresh talent, rather than new, experienced talent.

In fact, I think if NXT were replaced, vignettes are not the way to go about it. Alberto Del Rio was introduced via vignettes, because he was being prepared for instant high billing. Carlito was the same. He was introduced via vignettes and won the US title on debut. NXT is about development, it's not comparable to vignettes.

My final reason in this opening statement is that when the NXT process has produced stars and angles, they have been able to fuel WWE television for months. The Nexus/Cena feud went on for several months as did the Miz/Cole feud. If used right, NXT is a decent method of creating stories.

On the basis of the points I have laid out, I do not believe NXT should be discontinued in favour of vignettes.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
But this is WWE sports entertainment where the guys who have character end up being the ones focused on. It is much more important for the crowd to know who that character is than to see how they are in the ring. In ring work has never been the main focus of the WWE product as a whole. Not to mention in NXT the in ring work is very limited. They spend most of the show on pointless challenges. You see more time devoted to the challenges that don't show character or in ring skill that the matches get about 3-5 minutes normally.

You say that with vignettes they won't buy into a guy as opposed to NXT where they can get used to the guy/girl. But I'm pretty sure the crowd will buy more into someone showing off their gimmick/character over someone who's biggest accomplishment at that point is carrying a barrel across a line or guessing who's theme song belongs to who int heir challenges.

One thing yet to be brought up is the fact that NXT is no longer on T.V. Despite how internet driven the world is now not a lot of people are gonna take the time to go on WWE.com to watch it weekly after the show was getting really low ratings before it got yanked. So when the NXT winner shows up on T.V he'll have no more cred than someone who shows up on WWE T.V via vignette and hell the NXT winner might end up using a vignette just to get the people who didn't watch NXT used to him/her.