UFC Random Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Not sure why this isn't already made.

Anyways, with Fuel's 48-hour UFC marathon going on, I figured it'd be a good opportunity to note a few things.

The first of which is that there's a ton of young talent lying in wait in the welterweight division and below. Right now UFC are harboring a lot of potential in the lower weight classes, and I'm really digging Felipe Arantes and Antonio Carvalho in the featherweight division right now. They fought on the UFC Rio prelims, and Felipe won, but Carvalho too showed some great technique on the ground. They could really be big time players in the division as it matures.

Anyways, feel free to post and discuss random UFC thoughts here.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
So, any thoughts on who the next contender for the Heavyweight gold will be after Dos Santos vs. Mir? I say it's going to be between Velasquez and Big Foot (depending on the winner of the fight) and Mark Hunt (also assuming he wins). Hunt in my opinioon is really an average fighter overall, but he's got a lot of hype ehind him and a win over Struve could go a long way for him. And of course, Cain and Big Foot being the co-main eventers of the Heavyweight-only card obviously indicates that they are in the running for a title shot. That being said, I don't care for a Dos Santos/Velasquez rematch, and though I'm not counting on it, I definitely don't want to see a Velasquez/Mir fight...

Thoughts on the next contender?

Swinny

Reaction score
It's hard to say, depends on how things go. I certainly expect for Dos Santos and Cain to win and I don't think they'd have a rematch between those two yet. I doubt Hunt would get a title shot just for beating Struve, would need a top five win first I would think, same with Struve for beating Hunt.

Best case scenario: Josh Barnett wins the Strikeforce Grand Prix and comes over and gets the next shot. Although I doubt they'd give him the title shot right away either.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Here's my new theory... I say if Hunt beats Struve, he gets to battle Carwin when he returns in the coming months, winner faces JDS. OR, make it Lavar Johnson vs. Shane Carwin. OR, make it Cain vs. Carwin/Johnson/Hunt... All with title implications on the line.

Swinny

Reaction score
Here's my new theory... I say if Hunt beats Struve, he gets to battle Carwin when he returns in the coming months, winner faces JDS. OR, make it Lavar Johnson vs. Shane Carwin. OR, make it Cain vs. Carwin/Johnson/Hunt... All with title implications on the line.

No way Carwin gets put right back in a number one contender spot, not to mention he got absolutely schooled by JDS in their first fight, so not something I'd really wanna see again, even if he does have a puncher's chance.

It's difficult to figure out because I don't really see any of them as being a win away from a number one contender's fight, but somebody's gotta get the title shot, so it's really hard to say exactly what they'll do. They might end up doing JDS vs. Cain II after all, who knows? I do think the second fight would be a lot different, don't know if Cain would win but he has a shot if he avoids taking a shot like he did in the first one and uses his wrestling skills.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
The contender pool in the heavyweight division is indeed shallow. I blame Brock.

IMO, Cain vs. Dos Santos has to happen next. In the meantime we could see guys like Hunt/Struve, Johnson, Mitrione, and del Rosario/Miocic against established vets like Big Nog, Carwin, and Mir to boost any of the young guys into contention with a win over those top contenders. There's a lot of instability in that division, really... I think Levar has one of the best shots at making it to a title shot after he steamrolled Barry on FOX, really.

The Great Cochrane

Reaction score
Interesting couple of answers here. 30 pounds before a fight? Man I have a hard time cutting 12 he must feel like hell :lol: But I'm not too suprised he comes into the octagon at 217-220 taking into consideration his frame and the fact that he doesn't look too ripped when he fights either. That could be part of the reason why I still say one of Gustafsson's biggest downfalls is his conditioning.

Also, I love how when somebody asked if he could take GSP he just simply said "No" :lol:

Austin Bates

Reaction score
I watched UFC Fight Night: Condit vs Alves last night. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday night I suppose. I didn't get to watch the last two fights on the main card because I was tired, but oh well. Here are the results if anyone is interested: (With help from Wikipedia)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card: Mirsad Bektic defeated Lucas Martins by TKO in round 2 in a Featherweight Bout; Nicolas Dalby defeated Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos by split decision in a Welterweight Bout; Jussier Formiga defeated Wilson Reis by unanimous decision in a Flyweight Bout; Rony Jason defeated Damon Jackson by submission in round 1 in a Featherweight Bout.

Fox Sports 1 Main Card: Darren Till defeated Wendell Oliveira by KO in round 2 in a Welterweight Bout; Francisco Trinaldo defeated Norman Parke by split decision in a Lightweight Bout; Francimar Barroso defeated Ryan Jimmo by unanimous decision in a Light Heavyweight Bout; Alex Oliveira defeated KJ Noons by submission in round 1 in a Welterweight Bout; Charles Oliveira defeated Nik Lentz by submission in round 3 in a Featherweight Bout; Carlos Condit defeated Thiago Alves by TKO in round 2 in a Welterweight Bout.