Tournament 6.5: Greatest World Champ

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Yeah because Edge has just retired, and is widely regarded as one of the best of his era, I expect that he will be in the top six or seven at least.

Bret Hart has to be in the final three for me, and I expect him to do well, as he was long enough to make him a legend, but not so long ago, than people have forgotten, plus he has been used again recently by WWE.

Thing with Hogan, because he was carried so much in the ring, and a little bit on the mic, then I think that will work against him here. Don't get me wrong I think he derserves to do well, but I don't think he should be near the top names, because just didn't have the overall talent.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
I'm not sure who helped carried Hogan on the mic. I mean yeah in the ring... but his impact in the wrestling business, his impact as WWF Champion. I mean to deny him because of his "overall talent" is kinda unfair. The guy has managed to stay relevant from Mania 1 through Mania XIX. And still be at the top of the ladder. Politics or not the guy has had a huge impact on the business and during the big boom and move to main stream he was the face of the franchise. How many others can say they accomplished that? I just say give credit where it is due... and Hogan deserves credit.

6timehitta

Reaction score
I think everyone is making damn good points. I'm going to make a top 5
1. Ric Flair (Winner)
2. Bret Hart (Loses To Flair In Finals)
3. HBK
4. SCSA
5. Hulk Hogan

Go ahead and rip it to shreds but thats my 5 guys and I'm sticking to it. Unfortunantley I don't think an Indy guy like Punk or Joe would make this at all, not enough name recognition against the Flairs, Hogans, Rocks, and HBKs.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
The only "indy" guy that will stand a chance is Punk because he did become successful in WWE. If it was Punk's reigns only in ROH... he would be just another guy that couldn't make it, that couldn't cut it and would falter somewhere in the lower tier. But making it in the WWE and not only that but his white hot streak... that could help him to be in the upper 50% of champions. But in the end... Punk won't make it too far.

As far as your list goes... I'd probably put Hogan over SCSA.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I agree that Hogan was good on the mic in his prime years and had an impressive look, all I would say is because his routine was pretty much the same for most interviews and maybe he didn't have the range of some of the guys he was going against in the feuds, then I would say the likes of Dibiase, Macho and Perfect did play a more important part in interview segments than Hogan did. My personal opinon is that Hogan should be in the top ten, but not the top five.

Forgot Austin, he is going to be close too.

The Hoov

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
goldust
Stone Cold Steve Austin to win this one. Done. Deal. It's Gonna Happen.

Chriss

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
austinaries2
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
1.Ric Flair
2.Shawn Michaels
3.Stone Cold Steve Austin
4.Bret Hart
5.Triple H

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
1.Ric Flair
2.Shawn Michaels
3.Stone Cold Steve Austin
4.Bret Hart
5.Triple H

Shawn Michaels as one of the greatest champions of all time is so laughable, it's absolute nonsense... Looking at it, Shawn Michaels should never even be in the top ten champions of all-time, not only was it was the weakest drawing Era of all time, there is also the issues that come with being champion - Shawn Michaels' matches was sub-par on many occusions, leading to Vince McMahon and the WWE to sign the likes of Mick Foley and Big Van Vader to carry Shawn Michaels in 1996, relying on them to even make Shawn Michaels' matches become passable, which they did but Shawn Michaels himself is an average wrestler, so people calling him the greatest of all time, yet a lone the greatest champion of all time is a joke.

Flair, Misawa, Austin, Rhodes, Cena, Kobashi, Hogan... Even pushing it, Undertaker, Kawada, Vader and Sting can all stake the claim of being the Greatest World Champion of Alltime before Shawn Michaels can even rear his head into such a debate.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
There is also the very awesome reign of Dolph Ziggler. Greatest champion of all time. Come onnnn he was so good he only had to hold the belt for about a day and that was it to solidify him as greatest :p

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
^ Keep trying Slim...

I'm shocked Vader lost in the first round of this... It's like "The drew way more than others on the list and was fantastic as Champion ¬_¬"

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
If I had to pick? Triple H

I remember in my growing up days this guy was always world champion, and was a mega heel champion. So I'll be pulling for Trips in this one.

Called it from day one! Yeah Baby!

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
For me someone like Ric Flair or Bret Hart should have won overall. What I found suprising was how unpopplar Hogan was compeared to someone like Cena who is kind of like the mordern Hogan, but with less talent.

Its been a fun tournment, but boy have there been some strange outcomes.

Deuce

Reaction score
I wonder what the next tournament will be.

Kind of knew that Triple H was gonna win this tournament.