The Rock Hears Your Big Trouble In Little China Complaints, Has The Perfect Response

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
Dwayne Johnson knows that you hate his idea to remake John Carpenter’s Big Trouble in Little China. He read the reactions online, and he has a genuine response to fans… while also acknowledging that they might be right, and the project could get shelved.

The Rock’s currently riding high on the success of San Andreas, which approached the $100-million mark at the box office over the weekend. But when speaking withEW at the Spike TV Guys Choice Awards on Saturday, The Rock addressed the fan backlash over a Big Trouble reboot, and revealed the ace up his sleeve. Said Johnson:I loved reading the reactions from the fans, that they were so polarized – I’m the same way. My response is: know that I come to the project with nothing but love and respect for the original, which is why we want to bring on John Carpenter."
To write? To direct? Dwayne Johnson stops short of saying in what capacity he’d bring original Big Trouble in Little China director John Carpenter in, only stating that if he could somehow get the horror-meister involved, then they might have some chance of making something good. The Rock even goes one step further and tells EW that he’s also be open to approaching original Big Trouble star Kurt Russell, and getting him involved in the conversation. Now, my guess is that if Johnson got in touch with either man about possibly rebooting Big Trouble in Little China, their end of the conversation would be short, sweet, and to the point: "Don’t do it." But these comments do suggest that The Rock isn’t trying to cash-grab a nostalgia project, and is honoring his source material by reaching out to the founding fathers of the 1986 cult classic.

A remake of Big Trouble in Little China is a bad idea. A terrible idea. The original film is such a unique and unusual product of its era, and trying to recreate it is the cinematic equivalent of capturing lightning in a bottle. Even more so, The Rock is the complete wrong choice to play Jack Burton in a new Big Trouble. Kurt Russell’s anti-hero was a blue-collar everyman surrounding by supernatural beings. The Rock isn’t that. The Rock should be remaking They Live if he wants to play in John Carpenter’s sandbox. That makes more sense.

At the same time, The Rock does acknowledge that this is all in the planning stages, and if they realize it’s not a good fit, it’s never too late to pull the plug. He does tell EW:Let’s see what feels good, what we can come up with and then go from there. And as we write it, if the whole thing starts to stink up, then we thank everybody for their efforts and accept this just couldn’t make it."
Want to see The Rock in action right now? Check out either Furious 7 or San Andreas. As for a modern Big Trouble in Little China, I guess we’ll believe it when we see it.

Now, I realize this news story is very old..but, it wasn't until @Wang Chung brought it to my attention I had any know how about it and I plan to follow this closely cause I believe we are both the biggest marks for this movie here.

I'm normally okay with remakes, but, this I don't know if I want it to be touched. It's been my dream since I been a kid that they made a part 2...and a part 3 but, this movie. This movie is a special movie to me. I've seen it soooo many times since 1986 that I don't know if I can really handle this being a bad remake. Though, if John signs on to do something with it and he and Kurt are real hands on, then I may be alittle okay with it. I just don't want this to be tarnished.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
My old review thread was called The Wing Kong Exchange and my user name was David Lo Pan, so I'm a pretty big mark for BTILC as well. I even have Jack Burton and DLP action figures ffs!

Anyhow, I'm okay with this simply because the movie is goofy fun, and I think Dwayne can bring a lot of that to a remake. Obviously I wouldn't expect it to be as good as the original, not even close tbh, but I can think of a lot worse things to be remade than it.

Many Bothans died to bring you this Tapatalk message.

Reactions: Petty

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
They could use the original David Low Pan.

Do you smell what Tap a Talk is cooking?

Reactions: Petty

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
Yeah Vice I'm sorry man. I forgot you were a mark for this too. Forgive me. Well if you three are okay with it then i shall be too..

Drew

Reaction score
I'm good with this. Loved the original, classic.

But it's not like it's some high brow flick that's beyond reproach.

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
It's not the point of being high brow or not. This is a cult status like movie. That's why he had received bashlash.

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
It's not the point of being high brow or not. This is a cult status like movie. That's why he had received bashlash.
To be fair, even Carpenter himself has fucked up a remake of a cult movie, because Village of the Damned was a shadow of the original.

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
See, I didn't know that. Interesting.

Drew

Reaction score
I didn't mean that as some kind of insult.

Yes it's a cult classic, but it's not remaking Rocky or the Godfather. That's what I meant.

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
None taken whatsoever. :p But, shit don't worry it won't be long and those two will be remade as well.

:JBL:

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Thought I'd share these for all the BTILC fans in here...

97be370335560f75d37fef5d448d0d55.jpg

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
You sir are my hero.

Reactions: Petty and Fuji Vice

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Haha, thanks. Still need to pick up the three storms and Gracie at some point. No Wang Chi figure makes me sad though, he was the true hero of the movie. Hopefully they release another series because Egg Shen, Cousin Eddie and some of the Wing Kong guys could use figures as well.

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
Wang chi and egg chen (RIP) were my favorites..

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
Where have you found them at and what the prices of them?