Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
I didn't think either belt was at real danger of changing but I'm sure both title matches came off as real explosive. I hope this event maybe makes PWG look into bigger venues. I've seen Roderick vs. Danielson 1,000 times but after Danielson's matches with Bobby Fish and Shingo I'd love to see another this match ASAP.

Montana

Reaction score
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Presents 2010 Battle of Los Angeles
Saturday, September 4, 2010 - 8:00PM Bell Time - Reseda, CA
Sunday, September 5, 2010 - 7:00PM Bell Time - Reseda, CA

American Legion Post #308 - 7338 Canby Ave., Reseda, CA 91335

First Round Tournament Matches Include:
2010 Battle of Los Angeles First Round Match
Claudio Castagnoli
vs. Ricochet
Brandon Bonham
vs. Brian Cage
Austin Aries
vs. Rocky "Azúcar" Romero
Joey Ryan
vs. Chuck Taylor
"Intrepid Traveler" Paul London vs. Roderick Strong
Brandon Gatson
vs. Ryan Taylor
"Mr. Instant Replay" Matt Jackson vs. "Slick" Nick Jackson
El Generico
vs. Akira Tozawa
"The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels vs. Chris Hero

Montana

Reaction score
Results from night one of PWG's Battle of Los Angeles. Report courtesy Bryan Alvarez and Wrestling Observer:

Opener was supposed to be Max vs. Jeremy Buck in a battle of Generation Me but they came out and said they weren't wrestling each other. Excalibur, the MC and voice of PWG, tried to force them to do it, but they just double superkicked the ref. So the Cutler Brothers ran out and it turned into an impromptu tag match. I can only presume that means the Bucks are working the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]PPV[/COLOR][/COLOR] Sunday. This also explains a tournament with nine first-round matches. Generation Me are far more entertaining as heels than they are as babyfaces in TNA. Cutlers made a comeback, they traded about six million nearfalls, then the Cutlers got the win with a combo stuff piledriver. All-action opener that the fans loved.

Brandon Gatson beat Ryan Taylor. Gatson was a gymnast and [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]dancer[/COLOR][/COLOR] (Google him) and his brother was an Olympian, so he's far more agile than you'd think looking at him. The highlight of this match was when Ryan put him in a wacky lucha hold and the people chanted "UFC!" Gatson did a roundoff into a Stinger splash and a DVD variation for the pin.

Joey Ryan beat Chuck Taylor in a good match. I don't know if it was an inside [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]joke[/COLOR][/COLOR] or not but there were tons of WWE spots in this match, including Bob Backlund's crossface chicken wing (Taylor was watching Best of Raw), Gail Kim's finisher, Austin's finisher, and Shawn Michaels' finisher to name a few. Ryan used a second superkick for the pin.

Roderick Strong beat Paul London. The first [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]ten[/COLOR][/COLOR] minutes of this match was built around the fact that London had stuffed his trunks to a ridiculous degree, like there was a good-sized water bottle in there. Lots of penis-related comedy and chants. When they actually got to wrestling it was very good, probably the best [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]wrestling [COLOR=blue !important]match[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] on the show thus far. Lots of great stuff at the finish, then Roddy hit his stomach breaker and running sliding dropkick for the pin. I would be remiss if I didn't mention that London has a new manager, a man in an owl costume. He called him Finnegan the Space Owl. There is a photo on my Twitter.

Claudio Castagnoli beat Ricochet. This was the PWG version of Batista vs. Rey Jr. Aside from one spot near the finish where it appeared both guys forgot what spot was next, it was a fantastic big man vs. little man match, and it was by far my favorite thing on the show. Claudio is astounding and it was s star-making performance for Ricochet in front of this crowd, as it was his first time here and when it was over they chanted "THAT WAS AWESOME!" and "PLEASE COME BACK!" Claudio tapped him out after a super European uppercut. This was worth the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]DVD [COLOR=blue !important]price[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR].

Austin Aries beat Rocky Romero. Very good match. They traded a bunch of submissions at the finish, including an armbar and a triangle by Romero, but Aries powerbombed his way free and then hit the soccer kick to the face and the brainbuster for the pin. Romero got a good ovation leaving.

Brandon Bonham beat Brian Cage. Cage, the former Brian Logan, is currently in [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]WWE[/COLOR][/COLOR] developmental. They worked really hard but the crowd was more into finding creative ways to entertain themselves, like chanting "NXT DIVA~!" They did a million nearfalls, then Bonham hit him with a Canadian destroyer and Cage kicked out. He had officially kicked out of everything, so Bonham had to hit him with a second Canadian destroyer for the pin.

[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Akira[/COLOR][/COLOR] Tozawa beat El Generico. Generico has an injured shoulder and is really hurting but it wasn't evident much in this match. They had a pretty damn great match marred by whatever it was that happened at the finish. Tozawa hit his delayed German suplex and Generico didn't appear to kick out, but the ref held up his count anyway. The fans started booing. Tozawa then trapped his arms and hit a second German for the pin, but the fans were too busy chanting "YOU FUCKED UP!" at the ref to [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]pop[/COLOR][/COLOR] for the finish. It was sad because they'd had a hell of a match up to that point.

Chris Hero beat Chris Daniels. Very good main event. They did a lot of technical wrestling early, then Daniels turned on him and worked the entire match as a heel. [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Hero[/COLOR][/COLOR] made a comeback, they traded a bunch of nearfalls, and Hero finally did a switch into a stretch plum for the submission. Daniels turned back babyface afterwards, putting Hero over and saying if he was going to root for someone in the tourney it would be someone that was good enough to tap him out. Hero did a promo saying the last time he was in a BOLA he went to the finals and lost to Low-Ki, and while he couldn't do that match again he could return, beat three men tomorrow, and win the whole thing

============================================================================

Night 2

Excalibur opened up the show basically telling the fans they sucked the night before and needed to pump up the energy level here.

Joey Ryan beat Austin Aries with two superkicks in a very good opener. Aries in particular was awesome as he normally is. The fans did, in fact, amp up the energy for this bout. Also, it was the opener. The [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]story[/COLOR][/COLOR] was that Ryan had an injured shoulder and Austin worked it over for most of the match.

Claudio Castagnoli beat Roderick Strong. Another very good match. They did very hard and fast chain wrestling at the beginning like they were doing a shoot pro-[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]wrestling [COLOR=blue !important]match[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. It was great. Claudio is a heel but the fans were into him a lot, probably due in good part to his match the night before. They did a bunch of nearfalls and reversals and then Claudio hit him with the sky high European uppercut for the pin.

Brandon Gatson beat Brandon Bonham. Weakest match of both nights so far. They didn't have an extended heat section, they just took turns doing spots for [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]ten[/COLOR][/COLOR] minutes or so. There was what I think was supposed to be a bridging out of a pinfall spot near the finish but Bonham only bridged about an inch off the mat and the fans chanted "YOU FUCKED UP!" at either them or the ref. Gatson then picked him up and hit his finish for the pin.

Chris Hero beat [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Akira[/COLOR][/COLOR] Tozawa in one of the best matches I have seen all year. Just awesome and the last two minutes were out of this world. It was a big man vs. little man match but less of a squash than the Claudio match the night before in the sense that Tozawa was super fiery and they kept it believably competitive. Hero won after an elbow of death and top rope moonsault. You fucking must see this match. They did a billion highspots and kicked out of everything, but unlike any other match in this tournament like that the people actually got more into the match with each passing one, so it never felt like it hit a peak and kept going. Just outstanding.

Joey Ryan beat Claudio Castagnoli with a superkick. I figured the finals would be Hero vs. Claudio so this was a shocker. They worked it almost [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]WWE[/COLOR][/COLOR]-style early, with Claudio meticulously working over the injured shoulder. Tons of nearfalls at the finish, then Joey pinned him with about his third superkick. The fans weren't excepting that at all and initially booed. Then there was a loud "THIS IS BULLSHIT!" chant. Then after about 15 seconds it became a dueling "THIS IS BULLSHIT!" "JOEY RYAN!" dueling chant. Claudio held up his arm afterwards. So Ryan went to the finals.

Chris Hero beat Brandon Gatson. This was the best Gatson looked all weekend. Good match that ended when [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Hero[/COLOR][/COLOR] hit a series of forearms and then a crossface submission. Best part was some dude behind me who exactly started screaming "HE TAPPED! HE TAPPED!" at the finish like I was cageside for UFC.

Chuck Taylor & Brian Cage & Ryan Taylor vs. Johnny Goodtime & [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Rocky[/COLOR][/COLOR] Romero & Ricochet. Very fun six-man. Everyone looked good and the crowd in particular loved Taylor and Ricochet. A crazy display of highspots and athleticism ending when Chuck pinned Ricochet with an Omega driver, a ridiculously outlandish and terrifying tombstone piledriver. Ricochet was over huge after his match the night before.

Generico & Paul London beat Cutler Brothers to retain the PWG [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Tag [COLOR=blue !important]Team[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Titles. Went way too long for this crowd and they kicked out of way too much, especially since this was the buffer before the main event. There were moments near the finish where the crowd was really quiet. They did go nuts for the finish, Generico hitting the top rope brainbuster for the pin to retain the titles.

Joey Ryan beat Chris Hero to win BOLA 2010. So much for the polite crowd. There was an amazing amount of heckling during this match, which was interesting because prior to this match I was thinking this was the most polite indy crowd I'd seen in years. But it was funny because the fans went from hating Joey to chanting his name to booing the shit out of him to chanting his name again at the drop of a dime. The finish was built around them exchanging about a dozen superkicks and tornado forearms, then Ryan pinned him with a small package. People popped big for the finish, then booed, then chanting "THIS IS BULLSHIT!", then chanted "JOEY RYAN!" Ryan cut a heel promo afterwards and was booed unmercifully and heckled, but then he concluded with "I am proud to represent Southern California!" and they went nuts.

Night two blew away night one and was in the range of the 2006 and 2007 shows. If you're one of those people who hates modern day wrestling and can't handle Raw and TNA, this is a DVD you should probably check out. I had more fun at this show than any [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]wrestling [COLOR=blue !important]show[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] in a long time. A more detailed report will be in this coming week's Figure Four

==============================================================================

Surprising winner in Joey Ryan. He seems to have done it all in PWG, so i'm not really sure why they would want him to win. My pick was Chuck Taylor. This kind of reminds me of Edge winning the Royal Rumble. Basically winning it because he's been with the company for a while, and hasn't won it before.

Montana

Reaction score
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Presents The Curse of Guerrilla Island
Saturday, October 9, 2010 - 8:00PM Bell Time - Reseda, CA
American Legion Post #308 - 7338 Canby Ave., Reseda, CA 91335
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship Title Match
Claudio Castagnoli
vs. Brandon Gatson vs. Chris Hero vs. Joey Ryan
Tag Team Match
The Briscoe Brothers (Jay & Mark Briscoe) vs. The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin Cutler)
Singles Match
El Generico
vs. Ricochet
Singles Match
Johnny Goodtime
vs. Chuck Taylor
Singles Match
"Azúcar" Rocky Romero vs. Ryan Taylor
Singles Match
"Pretty" Peter Avalon vs. Candice LeRae
Plus Brian Cage and more!

Reaction score
Well played. He should bring PWG some great title defenses. Hopefully his run is abit stronger than Davey's or Omega's.

Reaction score
I imagine so, because in my opinion Claudio is definitely better than Kenny Omega and Davey Richards has always been bland, Claudio is just a more complete worker.

I haven't kept up with PWG in forever but before I leave California in the next year and a half, I would really love to see a PWG show live, more so than ever wanting to see an RoH show. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see an RoH show as long as no RoH fanboys were there and that's not happening. RoH fanboys are the next worse audiences after TNA audiences. Say what you will about WWE marks, at least those crowds are fun to be part of and don't detract from the show because of preconceived notions due to smarkism. PWG fans are more relaxed it seems to me.

Reaction score
ROH fanboys are a myth of the current crowds and its been that way for awhile.

Davey's reign with the belt was cut short to due New Japan commitments and Omega dropped the belt due to dates conflicting so hopefully Claudio is lined up for the next handful of shows.

Montana

Reaction score
I find it surprisnig they gave Claudio the strap. He doesn't really ever compete in PWG. At least not on a regular basis. If Chikara had a championship, Claudio would own that. I could see a good run for Claudio though. Hero had a great run.

As far as Claudio being more complete than Omega...perhaps...Richards...tough call. I'd say Richards is easily better in the ring, and he's better on the mic. I guess it all depends on the environment/promotion. Maybe i just don't like how Claudio walked in, and was handed the belt. I'm a huge fan of Richards and Omega though. My Current match of the year is with those 2 guys.

Reaction score
I don't want to split hairs on who is more "complete" but I just hope Claudio has a steady title run as the last two kinda tanked, through no fault of PWG I suppose.

Montana

Reaction score
New Show for Dec 1st added. Solid lineup, however it's too bad Claudio isn't defending the belt.

Non-Title Tag Team Match
¡Peligro Abejas! (El Generico & Paul London) vs. Kings of Wrestling (Claudio Castagnoli & Chris Hero)

Singles Match
"Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen vs. Akira Tozawa

Singles Match
Brandon Gatson
vs. Joey Ryan

Tag Team Match
The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) vs. The Fightin' Taylor Boys (Brian Cage-Taylor & Ryan Taylor)

Singles Match
Roderick Strong
vs. "The Kentucky Gentleman" Chuck Taylor

Tag Team Match
The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin Cutler) vs. RockNES Monsters (Johnny Goodtime & Johnny Yuma)

Singles Match
"Pretty" Peter Avalon vs. Willie Mack

bigdog4215

Reaction score
I never seen any of this companies shows but have herd of it.The roster looks off the hook and what was their last show called so I can check it out.

Reaction score
The Curse of Guerrilla Island. PWG is a solid solid company and any show from the last year in particular has been gangbusters. Check their site out.

Montana

Reaction score
Pretty much any 2010 shows. Their Best of DVDs are really good way to introduce the product. 99, 100, Kurt Russlemania, and As the Worm turns are good shows too.

I'm interested to see this Kentucky Gentleman Chuck Taylor character. Pretty awesome main event on that show too.