The John Report: TNA iMPACT 19/4/10.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score

TNA decided that for this episode they were going to focus more on matches than promos. On an episode which saw 3 good long matches and the return of Samoa Joe, Raw looked inferior. TNA gave their best shot to date last night, and with WWE's show being a major clusterfuck, it will be interesting to see the two ratings. TNA also invited people to return to watch next weeks broadcast by promoting three matches: Morgan & ? vs. Team 3D, Moore vs. Kazarian, Flair vs. Abyss. Some people may complain about TNAs choice of making a World championship change ocure on a free show, however, I think it was a great decision especially since Raw's show was so weak.

To kick off the show, AJ Styles produced a good promo. It was a typical "heel brags about still being the champion" promo; it just showed how much Styles had improved since turning heel. His promos were boring 6 months ago. Rob Van Dam enters, and if you didn't know before, you know now that he is ridiculously over with the crowd. Van Dam cut his promo on AJ having a "hard time" and allowed a lot of time for the crowd to respond and become part of his mic work. Jeff Hardy then enters, to another huge reaction, and notes he wants to "complete his collection" of World Titles. Hogan enter and sets up Rob Van Dam vs. Jeff Hardy with the winner getting AJ Styles later in the show. I really like this idea, but it would have been better if TNA had promoted these matches before the show.

Knockouts Tag Team Championship Match: Velvet Sky & Lacey (Ugh.) vs. ODB & Daffney

The entire knockouts portion of this show sucked imo. The team of Daffney and ODB just seems so unrealistic. Why would Daffney chose ODB? As for the finish of this match, ODB got blinded and Velvet rolled her up for the pin.

Jeremy Borash eavesdrops on Flair. Flair wants a team Hogan/ team Flair rematch. He says he will give them 5 minutes to get to the ring. I liked Abyss' promo alongside Jeff Jarrett, pointing out how they "won the war" at the PPV, but were more than happy to take on Team Flair again, even though they were two members down. Of course, this lead to Flair bringing out his team, and with the four-on-two brawl, you knew a babyface or two was going to "step up" here. Rob Terry ran out, which is fine with me except for the fact that he had issues with his press slam on Desmond Wolfe, and the camera missed his kick of Sting. Flair did a great job of burying him completely as he shouts "Who the hell are you?" Bischoff comes out. Bischoff says he is going to be bringing in a fourth member for Team Hogan, and we've got a match for later.

There was a short segment featuring Moore and Morgan. Morgan keeps talking about "We". Morgan tries to persuade Moore to be his tag team partner. This is getting boring tbh but it is a promotion for next weeks match. It always helps if people want to tune in next week for a certain match.

One of the promos we saw featured Eric and Hogan discussing several things; in the space of several minutes we had been introduced to the ranking system, seen more of Brooke, had more promotion for the main event and a promise that iMPACT will be better in the future. Hogan and Bischoff were only on the screen for a few minutes, but they managed to get across quite afew topics.

Jeff Hardy vs. RVD

This was a really good match and I like that we had a totally clean finish. It is nice to see how TNA are making matches longer so that they can be known as a true "Wrestling" company. The whole match consisted of bumps and big spots. Jeff Hardy missed the swanton, followed by RVD hitting a five-star frogsplash for the pin over Hardy. Winner is RVD who will go onto face AJ Styles in our main event.

Team Flair vs. Team Hogan

My first reaction to the announcement of this match was that they are repeating this match. I really liked how Samoa Joe returned. According to TNA, we all should be so surprised that Joe returned that we completely forget that he was abducted. I really didn't like how Abyss was triple teaming Storm, Roode and Wolfe while we had Jarett around and Terry on the apron. Weird. Joe was on fire. Joe gave the muscle buster to Robert Roode to get the pin. Then after the match, he just leaves. Jarett and Rob look satisfied while Abyss looks scared and worried.

Ric Flair came out following the match and told us he wanted to talk to Abyss... And we get cut to a commercial. Perfect timing by TNA, but whatever. When the show returns, we are shown what happened during the commercials. Flair vs. Abyss next week, winner gets the ring. Is this how they are going to pull this off? I thought Flair had retired and promised after his tag match that he would never wrestle again, meh.

World championship match: RVD vs. AJ Styles

I really love how the announcers tried to tell us all this was RVDs fourth match in 2 days. Hey, tomorrow he'll wrestle again. This match was a good one. I didn't expect the end result because quite frankly, I can't fathom why TNA made a major championship change the day after a PPV? Anyway, as for the end of the match: AJ goes for a springboard, Van Dam catches it and powerbombs Styles. Five Star Frog Splash, and Van Dam gets the pin. Clean. No run-in. No ref bump. No weapons shot. No turning off the lights. AJ did a fantastic job of selling his realization of losing his belt.

This iMPACT showed us 2 matches that we had all dreamed of and overall 3 good matches. I honestly think this could be the start of something good for TNA, as long as they continue to produce shows like this.

EnterTamed

Reaction score
^why cuz someone actually enjoyed watching TNA last night? other than the HHH opening segment and the Taker/Swagger match raw sucked. Personally the segment with Hogan and Bishoff was a bit corny and too long. Joe coming back was nice i suppose we will hear more on what happened to him next week. The hardy/rvd match shouldn't have been hyped up before hand becuase the way they shot it live it was supposed to be a match made on the spot. I don't think AJ is going to get his rematch probably becuase this rankings system will screw him over. It was definately a good show, not great, but they do seem to be working on it. would've like to have seen a short X division match thrown in there. Did we even see Kaz and his reaction to winning the title? at least have him squash kendrick or lethal.

Beer

Reaction score
^why cuz someone actually enjoyed watching TNA last night? other than the HHH opening segment and the Taker/Swagger match raw sucked. Personally the segment with Hogan and Bishoff was a bit corny and too long. Joe coming back was nice i suppose we will hear more on what happened to him next week. The hardy/rvd match shouldn't have been hyped up before hand becuase the way they shot it live it was supposed to be a match made on the spot. I don't think AJ is going to get his rematch probably becuase this rankings system will screw him over. It was definately a good show, not great, but they do seem to be working on it. would've like to have seen a short X division match thrown in there. Did we even see Kaz and his reaction to winning the title? at least have him squash kendrick or lethal.

No... because it wasn't very good.

Reaction score

I really love how the announcers tried to tell us all this was RVDs fourth match in 2 days. Hey, tomorrow he'll wrestle again. This match was a good one. I didn't expect the end result because quite frankly, I can't fathom why TNA made a major championship change the day after a PPV? Anyway, as for the end of the match: AJ goes for a springboard, Van Dam catches it and powerbombs Styles. Five Star Frog Splash, and Van Dam gets the pin. Clean. No run-in. No ref bump. No weapons shot. No turning off the lights. AJ did a fantastic job of selling his realization of losing his belt.

No it wasn't. It was stinky and proof that RVD shouldn't be the top guy anywhere.

Reaction score
It is nice to see how TNA are making matches longer so that they can be known as a true "Wrestling" company. The whole match consisted of bumps and big spots.

They want to be known as the wrestling company, so they put on a spotfest? lol'd.