Takin' a shot in the dark here...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Also, if you take it upon yourself to look for skins for the forum you are looking for skins for vbulletin 4.0 skins. 4.0.3 in specific but just 4.0 will do.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Yay smilies! Thanky. Someone mind makin' a list of the new code for all the ones that got put in? I'll dig around for some others and maybe some forum skins too.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Reaction score
I am not sure who Kenfan is, but I assure you I am not him. Aside from Rell, I know of nobody in this community. Also, so we're all clear, I'm also not really jockeying for an Admin spot, or to take anyone's place, but as someone who has done this before(and essentially, been here before), I figured I'd at least try to help. Whether you use my advice or not, is quite obviously 100% up to you guys.

To touch on some things that monkeystyle has said though, the forums part was more for SEO. One of the first thing SEO enabled places do is look for forums. So the question is, what type of posters do you want here? By extending your wrestling forums out and having proper main forums for companies/indies, you can attract a lot more, as it gives SEO more to work with, right now, SEO has very little to work with in terms of wrestling. "Wrestling Discussion" is fine for a parent-type forum name, but the company names would go farther(And this optimizes parts of SEO without having to have access to the real SEO.

As far as skins go, I've learned over the course of time, simple is best. My favorite skin has always been the default, a lot of times people or skin creators put too many small icons, and later the skin just feels cluttered. Plus backgrounds can be distracting.

The total rebrand is important in my eyes, like I meant to say(but was obviously too tired to do so) was that you needn't be as drastic as I was saying, but as far as I can tell most staff members don't do a whole lot, and I'm sure there is at least one active Admin around that could handle post moderating duties. Consider the fact that you're most likely attempting to attract multiple new users, who will come in and see that not even the staff is that active. When I started SI, it was quite literally, my friend and I posting for the first seven or eight hours, after one month, we had 600+ members, and were looking at 200+ being active. If you can find people willing to work, those are the best. Not the ones that try to let the work come to them.

As far as the rebrand is concerned, another part I idiotically missed(I apologize) is that right now, a lot of people probably associate this site with failure. Its much like a Sports team, in that, sometimes a new logo and some new threads can give them a whole new attitude. Admittedly it's mostly a psychological thing, but let's face it, right now I think a lot of the main posters who have stuck around deserve something "fresh"

As for more ideas, what type of advertisement do you guys do? If any? A lot of lesser known sites will allow you to advertise your site, as long as they can come and advertise their site. If you can find a partnership deal with another non-wrestling forum, it could do wonders(if you want, I still have some friends that I could contact).

For current staff, and any staff added, it needs to be known that the more threads you make, the better your PR and SEO scores will be. Therefore during the infant stages o a forum it's more beneficial to not have overarching discussion threads. Now I'll admit the difference at the beginning is fairly miniscule, but let's face it, right now every little bit counts.

I'm sure there are more things I can think of, and I am happy to continue/add to this discussion whenever I can. I'm just waking up, so I apologize for any errors I made.

Reaction score
Smileys have been fixed for the most part. If there is one in particular that you want let me know and I will add it in. :nutkick:

I missed this, Smilies are a bitch. I actually paid someone to add smilies to one of the sites I worked on.

The kids love 'em and that's all that really matters.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I am not sure who Kenfan is, but I assure you I am not him. Aside from Rell, I know of nobody in this community. Also, so we're all clear, I'm also not really jockeying for an Admin spot, or to take anyone's place, but as someone who has done this before(and essentially, been here before), I figured I'd at least try to help. Whether you use my advice or not, is quite obviously 100% up to you guys.

Well, you have my attention so keep on going. And no, you're definitely not Kenfan.

To touch on some things that monkeystyle has said though, the forums part was more for SEO. One of the first thing SEO enabled places do is look for forums. So the question is, what type of posters do you want here? By extending your wrestling forums out and having proper main forums for companies/indies, you can attract a lot more, as it gives SEO more to work with, right now, SEO has very little to work with in terms of wrestling. "Wrestling Discussion" is fine for a parent-type forum name, but the company names would go farther(And this optimizes parts of SEO without having to have access to the real SEO.

I hear that, and perhaps once activity picks up a smidge I'd be happy to look at that again but right now it's mostly for aesthetic and perception purposes.

Personally, I feel that having numerous sub-sections just looks too busy. I prefer a simplistic approach myself but if there's enough demand then I'd do it. On the perception side of things, what looks busier and more active to you? A bunch of sub-sections that get no love or one wrestling section that contains all the threads in one place? Furthermore, I think that it perhaps increases activity a little as well. For instance, I don't pay much attention to TNA and if there is a separate section I'm likely to ignore it. However, if there is a hot topic in a general wrestling section I'm far more likely to notice it and therefore click and potentially discuss.

As far as skins go, I've learned over the course of time, simple is best. My favorite skin has always been the default, a lot of times people or skin creators put too many small icons, and later the skin just feels cluttered. Plus backgrounds can be distracting.

I've always been a big fan of a one colour background with the ability to choose different flavours (ie: different accent colours) but that has been met with opposition each time I bring it up. No biggie though. Variety is the spice of life, right?

The total rebrand is important in my eyes, like I meant to say(but was obviously too tired to do so) was that you needn't be as drastic as I was saying, but as far as I can tell most staff members don't do a whole lot, and I'm sure there is at least one active Admin around that could handle post moderating duties. Consider the fact that you're most likely attempting to attract multiple new users, who will come in and see that not even the staff is that active. When I started SI, it was quite literally, my friend and I posting for the first seven or eight hours, after one month, we had 600+ members, and were looking at 200+ being active. If you can find people willing to work, those are the best. Not the ones that try to let the work come to them.

That's difficult to do. I can't force people to post.

As far as the rebrand is concerned, another part I idiotically missed(I apologize) is that right now, a lot of people probably associate this site with failure. Its much like a Sports team, in that, sometimes a new logo and some new threads can give them a whole new attitude. Admittedly it's mostly a psychological thing, but let's face it, right now I think a lot of the main posters who have stuck around deserve something "fresh"

Oh, I hear this 100% and I totally agree. Here's the issue though. We may be Admins but ultimately we are up shit creek without a paddle because we are forever associated with this site no matter what we do. I mean we can be sneaky and change the name or whatever but we can't change the all too familiar URL that brings people here.

As for more ideas, what type of advertisement do you guys do? If any? A lot of lesser known sites will allow you to advertise your site, as long as they can come and advertise their site. If you can find a partnership deal with another non-wrestling forum, it could do wonders(if you want, I still have some friends that I could contact).

We do none. We can't even get any love from the owner to have a top 5 threads gimmick on the main page kinda like Wrestlezone does. I would be interested in a partnership deal with a non-wrestling website. No partnerships with other wrestling websites. AWF may be in a coma right now but we're still better than any free hosted forum. Also, I don't want to lose what I perceive to be this forums ultimate identity. This is, to me, Misfits Island. It's always been a place where the people who would get tossed out of any "respectable" forum could come and settle in. It's important to me to maintain that identity.

I'm sure there are more things I can think of, and I am happy to continue/add to this discussion whenever I can. I'm just waking up, so I apologize for any errors I made.

Don't apologise. It's mad appreciated. I need to understand this SEO ish more though. I enabled an assload of tags earlier today but I have no clue as to whether that is going to make a difference or of that is even what you're talking about.

Reaction score
Yeah I've had many arguments about the multiple sub-forum issue. For me it's better utilized if only because a.) Threads don't get lost as easy, b.) It looks cleaner, and c.)It helps with SEO

For a, I look at it, if there's news in all the companies, how easy is it for a thread to get lost amongst the news. For instance, say I wanted to create a thread appreciating everything Misawa has done for Japanese and American Indy/NWA promotions throughout his career. We have a good two page discussion on it, but then, TNA folds, and a current superstar in the WWE dies, or something of that ilk(obviously a fake situation, but bare with me) How long would it be until the Misawa thread got buried? And at that point if someone comes to the forum looking for a thread on Misawa(however unlikely) it may be harder for them to find. Let's face it, we all know there's a search function, but none of us use it if we don't have to. With subsections it does look bad if someone doesn't post in them for awhile, but for me it's about organization.

Skins are something that are always user taste. I'm obviously not saying just have one skin, but for a Forum Default skin, it's best to keep it simple. You'll turn more people off with a skin than anything else. As dumb as it is, a skin is a forum's first impression.

Obviously we can't change the URL, however getting some GFX guys on it, a few new skins, and voila, you're in business.

Forum Identity I can definitely agree with(which is most likely why I won't fit in, should this get off the ground) and it is essential to keep that identity of the forum going, obviously you're going to get people who won't fit in like that, but then that is in fact what makes forums interesting. There's always the possibility to invade a freeboard as well. I'll look into some non-wrestling sites for you guys to try and establish a relationship with. Hopefully there's still a few new ones out there. Sadly it's not 2007/08 anymore where new forums were popping up like children in Harlem.

If you need help, or have questions with SEO, I have ~6 years of experience, and would be happy to help.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Here's a couple of my old favorite smilies, Monk, if you will.

:hug: -

:v: -

:dead: - ?

Also, if somebody has mine & Rell's favorite pink smiley, as well as a shifty smiley, that'd be just wiz. Where is Lucas anyway? This sorta project is right up his alley.

Also, Inconspicous Username knows Puroresu and such? Dude, you're like my favorite person ever. You'll always fit in as long as i'm around.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Will do on the shifty right meow and the others too.

I don't know which pink smiley you're talking about though.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
You know, the old :eek: one? Lucas started with it I think.

I have a question as far as skins go that i'm looking for. Are there any particular colors that would be ideal? I'm probably going to look for blue of some sort in my pick, at least as an outlined color, but yeah. I'd like one that jives tech-wise and everything. (Not that great with technology. :( )

monkeystyle

Reaction score
:hug:
:hanged:
:v:
:shifty:

That's : hanged : without the spaces for the hanged man. If you can get a black person version I can also add in :lynched: because that's how we roll at AWF.

And I do think I know which one you're talking about. I think I can find it. I got :smh though.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I have a question as far as skins go that i'm looking for. Are there any particular colors that would be ideal? I'm probably going to look for blue of some sort in my pick, at least as an outlined color, but yeah. I'd like one that jives tech-wise and everything. (Not that great with technology. :( )

Not really. If it looks sexy, link me.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Rell will back me up on it. He just used the sonofabitch yesterday. It was :eek:: (But :eek: in '08-'10) Maybe G1's got a screenshot of a post with it somewhere. All I know is that it's dark pink, smiling, and humble. The blushing one you found's cool too though.;D

Goin' off to find some skins now.