Stone Cold Steve Austin - The Most Selfish Wrestler Of All Time

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Why do these conversations always get the most pages?

Seriously, what guy on top wants some other asshole to take his spot? Yeah, go ahead youngboy, take my spot making the most money.

Say this shit when your employers ask you to move over for the new guy.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Someone wants to be absolutely right about someone just overbearingly taking over the wrestling world without letting anybody else get a shot.

Just have to get people to agree that nobody is a saint but to label someone as the most selfish... not really possible.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The answer to deezy is simple, because the wrestling business has to function on people doing the right thing. If Triple H had done business by putting over the likes of Kane and Booker T it would have been better for WWE in the long term and it would not have affected H's spot really, at that point he had so much power than he would have returned to the main events sooner rather than later. Besides you can't really compare the cut throat world of pro wrestling to every day working life.

Thing about the Goldberg feud Slim is that it was the manor which HHH won, as well as making Goldberg look weak it also made a number of others look weak. After Goldberg had smashed through everyone else in that Elimination Chamber match he was then easily beaten by HHH.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
My thing about Goldberg is that he never was gonna stay that long. he wasn't ever gonna be a mainstay. He wasn't generating that much buzz, that much fanfare, that much of anything. His style would have been detrimental in the long run as well. Goldberg didn't look that weak in the loss but in the long run, for the business... Trips winning was the better choice.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Why do these conversations always get the most pages?

Seriously, what guy on top wants some other asshole to take his spot? Yeah, go ahead youngboy, take my spot making the most money.

Say this shit when your employers ask you to move over for the new guy.

Thats more paranoia that actual truth though.

Putting over another guy doesnt equate to them 'taking your spot', Orton is proof of this the past yr, Cody & Barrett aren't above him in the pecking order but were helped by the wins against him.

Austin wouldn't of dropped cred if he'd laid for Jarrett, Lesnar or any of the others, he was already a solid megastar and perma-maineventer by then.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Now that is one thing we do agree on.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
The answer to deezy is simple, because the wrestling business has to function on people doing the right thing. If Triple H had done business by putting over the likes of Kane and Booker T it would have been better for WWE in the long term and it would not have affected H's spot really, at that point he had so much power than he would have returned to the main events sooner rather than later. Besides you can't really compare the cut throat world of pro wrestling to every day working life.

Thing about the Goldberg feud Slim is that it was the manor which HHH won, as well as making Goldberg look weak it also made a number of others look weak. After Goldberg had smashed through everyone else in that Elimination Chamber match he was then easily beaten by HHH.

Thats more paranoia that actual truth though.

Putting over another guy doesnt equate to them 'taking your spot', Orton is proof of this the past yr, Cody & Barrett aren't above him in the pecking order but were helped by the wins against him.

Austin wouldn't of dropped cred if he'd laid for Jarrett, Lesnar or any of the others, he was already a solid megastar and perma-maineventer by then.
Pro-wrestling is a vain form of entertainment. You don't get into it without having an ego, and you definitely don't get anywhere near the top without one. Simple thing is, people enjoy having the heat or adulation and it's addicting, why would anyone at the top want someone taking their spot? Ofcourse paranoia is involved, this is a here today, gone tommorrow business.

Besides, Kane was already an entrenched WWE star and Booker T was still considered a WCW guy, Jericho put it best in his last book, Vince doesn't care what you did outside of his walls, it's what you do in his house.

And lulz at putting over Jarrett.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
I believe Stone Cold would've put over Lesnar had their been a storyline behind it and not just a random squash on tv so I don't blame him for not wanting to do the job like that you need to build it up I mean he could've done it at Unforgiven and then Undertaker could've had a shot meaning Lesnar could've held the belt for a bit longer and maybe Brock could've been built better.

Putting over Jarret why was he going to be a WWE main eventer there's a time and place if Jarret was getting pushed then yes maybe Austin should've put over Jarret but look at Jarret he became WCW champ at the time that WCW was on its last legs and he was getting X-pac heat in TNA for always holding that belt.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Well "the story goes" Jarrett was in line for a main event run in late '99, (he was the first ever Euro-Continental champ and getting a lot of airtime) but Austin didnt just turn it down and say he wasnt doing the job for him, he flat out refused to even work a program with him. As it went, Russo went to WCW, Jarrett followed and got his push there and TNA was born down the line.

Ridiculous how Hogan got blasted for creative control, at least he had it in his contract unlike Austin.

Unprofessional as fuck.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
With a straight face can you say you honestly say you wanted Jarrett in the main event. And Jeff was not the first ever WWE European Champion, that was Davey Boy Smith.

Now i'm a huge Austin fan (i don't like the word mark) and i agree with some of these statements, and sure he was unprofessional at times and does not get as much heat like hogan does but he worked his ass off unlike hogan did. Plus i'm pretty sure alot of wrestlers use the backstage politic card and refuse to not work with another guy.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
But weather fans liked the idea of Jarrett in the main event is besides the point. The company saw something in Jarrett and Austin refusing to even do a programme with him was just plain wrong. Now if he didn't want to job to the guy that is another thing, but at least work with him and do your best to make the feud good.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
With a straight face can you say you honestly say you wanted Jarrett in the main event. And Jeff was not the first ever WWE European Champion, that was Davey Boy Smith.

Now i'm a huge Austin fan (i don't like the word mark) and i agree with some of these statements, and sure he was unprofessional at times and does not get as much heat like hogan does but he worked his ass off unlike hogan did. Plus i'm pretty sure alot of wrestlers use the backstage politic card and refuse to not work with another guy.

Jarrett was the first Euro-Continental champ, ie holding both European and Intercontinental titles at the same time. D'lo was second to do this, and Angle was third and last (although billed as first, wrongly).

Anyway as for the rest, Keith already covered it. Whether Jarrett was a talentless scrub or not is moot, because he was getting a push and Austin quashed it, simple. It's a dick move and not the first or last that he pulled either.

Also, I'm sure plenty of others do it too/have done it, namely Triple H and Shawn Michaels, Kevin Nash and Hogan. What I was pondering out loud in this thread is Austin is the worst of the lot, yet has this 'what a great guy' tag glued on to him like a badge of honour.

All the top guys are going to win a lot of matches, I can accept that, and know that win/loss records mean little in a predetirmined 'sport', but my big problem is Austin never helped wrestling as much as wrestling helped him, he never made a star, never put anyone over and left a lot of guys careers in tatters.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
I believe the reason that he refused to work with Jarret is that he had a personal problem with Jarret from something that happened previously.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Maybe he took offence to Austin beating his wife, who happened to manage Jarrett.

Isabellas2007

Reaction score
Austin will not be called this because of how he brought wrestling to the mainstream. Hogan tried to do this, but he was not very successful and did not reach out to the adult fan base. Austin not only reached the adults, but also to kids. Think about if he did not reach these levels where would the wrestling be at today it would probably be back to what it was in the pre-WWF era of a ton of independent circuits.