Stone Cold Steve Austin - The Most Selfish Wrestler Of All Time

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Not to mention you completely neglected to counter those points I brought up bout Hogan having to be tombstoned on a chair to lose to an undefeated Undertaker only to be the first person to beat him 2 days later. And being the one to squash Yokozuna at the close of Mania XI and take the belt. Wasn't necessary at all as the match tween Bret and Yoko was good... plus Hogan fought earlier on the card.

Like said before... Austin is no saint by any means. But saying Hogan is more of one than Austin and that Austin is the most selfish? That is asinine.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Looking at this... and trying not to fire back, despite really really wanting to... you have got to be the most completely unreasonable and insane person I've seen post. Your examples about Hogan are... asinine at best. Then you give the excuse... oh well it was during an era when he needed to win and couldn't lose so he had to keep winning but Austin was in an era where even though he is THE TOP DRAW he should lose more and blah blah blah.

Plus your examples of Hogan losing cleanly... even at Mania against Warrior... if you watch it... yeah he jobbed but he made sure he didn't look weak at all cause he "kicked out" right after the 3 count. He couldn't just lay there. Mania XI... Yokozuna's moment... ruined by Hogan who already wrestled earlier in the night because he felt the fans would hate a heel winning in the Mania main event for the first time had to squash Yoko in under a couple minutes to claim the world title again. He jobbed to Taker in Survivor Series 92... TWO DAYS LATER he wins the belt back from Taker. And his jobs to Kidman? Really you are bringing that up? As valid points? Really? His job to Goldberg... that was the only time he was truly at the top when he jobbed and that was for ratings and there were company men in attendance and he wanted to show he was a team player.

His job to Rock... Hogan wasn't at the top anymore. This is Mania X-8. This is not the 90's... this is after 2000. So him jobbing to Rock at Mania isn't as big as you wanna make it because he wasn't at the top anymore. Then his other jobs... even less relevant. The only one that meant anything was Lesnar cause of the way he jobbed. Other than that nothing.

Austin is no saint either but to say Hogan was so much better and did so much more and all that crap... is asinine.

And this is only a blip of the response I want to give.

Possibly the best post ever from you slim I agree 100%.

There is a lot more to putting someone over than just losing to them. It is also about making them look great and to allow them to shine in the spotlight. You have the Warrior example mentioned and Hogan also did it to the Rock in that famous mania match. Rather than acting heelish like he was supposed to he played to the crowd as a face and decided to outshine the Rock. Then you have the Goldberg example, yes he lost cleanly to him, but then Hogan was still featured as the main attraction every week on Nitro and PPV after that. Should this not have been Goldberg's role, you know the fastest raising star in WCW at the time and the new World Champion?

Also some of the examples you mentioned with Austin are things he maybe had no control over. You say he baried guys all throughout the Invasion Angle, but is that not more down to creative instead of Austin's actions? And winning the belt back off Kane 24 hours later was more down to management surely. If Austin had a problem with Kane having the title over him would he have not just refused to job in the first place?

Deuce

Reaction score
Stone Cold most selfish wrestler of all time? I think not, that role would have to go to Hogan.

Smartmark

The opposite of everyone you have ever known
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
mickiejames2
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
^^ I totally agree about that. Hogan is a jerk, always was, always will be.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
The thing about Kane... is they pretty much HAD to have Kane win it that night. Cause the stipulation was if Kane were to lose that night at King of the Ring he would set himself on fire. So they did what they had to do to keep from having to do that stipulation. So Austin winning the belt back the next night? I dunno. But Kane absolutely HAD to win it that night. I mean how else would you explain Kane when he was talking with that voice box thing saying that he would set himself on fire if he lost... then he loses and nothing happens?

But yeah... Austin isn't a saint but he is not the most selfish.

Vivido

Reaction score
The thing about Kane... is they pretty much HAD to have Kane win it that night. Cause the stipulation was if Kane were to lose that night at King of the Ring he would set himself on fire. So they did what they had to do to keep from having to do that stipulation. So Austin winning the belt back the next night? I dunno. But Kane absolutely HAD to win it that night. I mean how else would you explain Kane when he was talking with that voice box thing saying that he would set himself on fire if he lost... then he loses and nothing happens?

But yeah... Austin isn't a saint but he is not the most selfish.

Ummm this post isn't filled with intelligence.

If they wanted Kane to lose they could of easily just not booked an angle invovling Kane setting himself on fire at all.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
Alright lets be honest here Neither of these guys are the most selfish the most Selfish guy is one Paul Levesque aka Hunter Hearst Hemsley and has been since he's return in 2002 when he and Stephanie were married and lets start with that shall we.

Buried RVD a guy who was rising to the top of the main event at the time and I believe he beat him clean as well.

The Katie Vick Storyline as many know it was heavily implied Triple H bought that storyline to Vince to sabatoge Kane's momentum because when Kane returned he was the most over he ever could be he was ready for another reign as World Champion and we all know what a sick fuck Vince can be so he would've done it.

He drops the title to his best buddy HBK hurray only to win it back 3 weeks later

He buried Booker T and sent him back to Midcard Booker should've been a 7 time world champion by the time he left WWE for TNA and held the belt for a bit.

He fights his buddy Kevin Nash in a shit fest rivalry thankfully Nash left soon after it finished.

Is the first guy to beat Goldberg though it was the chamber Goldberg should've won the belt at the time the amount of time Hunter had it was ridicilous.

Kane lost his mask because of him but it was Shane McMahon that fucked him big time early on.

Jobbed to Chris Benoit but when he wasn't in the title picture he made sure he's match was the main event.

Buried Randy Orton who took a while to recover infact if it wasn't for Orton's rivalry with Undertaker he may not be the main eventer he is today.

Held the title until WM 21 where he jobbed to his pal Batista clean first clean win since Goldberg and Benoit.

He and HBK reformed DX and buried the Spirit Squad I guess they made up for that with Dolph Ziggler.

Buried Booker T again

Went over to Smackdown and made the entire roster his bitch and didn't even drop the title to Jeff Hardy like he was supposed to

His disastrous WM 25 match with Randy Orton

Destroyed Sheamus and Ted Dibiase making them Jobbers.

And then of course the CM Punk storyline fiasco was pathetic.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Ummm this post isn't filled with intelligence.

If they wanted Kane to lose they could of easily just not booked an angle invovling Kane setting himself on fire at all.

Not to mention Kane's been on fire before after losing an Inferno match to Taker.

So, erm, yeah.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
Kane had more protection from the fire then Undertaker did even so I always thought those inferno matches were extremly dangerous on the off chance that something goes wrong.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Wait a minute? The only reason KANE got his first title reign is WWE booked themselves into a corner with the whole First Blood thing. KANE was wearing a mask and Austin wasn't going to attack his arm or something with a some jagged edge even during the Attitude Era. This argument should be thrown out entirely.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Goodness... Kane has his foot on fire in the inferno match... this was to be his whole body.

secondly... I don't know what the hell they were thinking about not having his arm bleed or whatever else. This was WWF BOOKING!!! not mine!!! So get off my nuts about it. I'm posting what went on at that time. They booked themselves in a corner and they didn't see a way out of it cept that. Goodness.

Acting like I booked the shit.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
But don't you think that Kane winning the title was planned quite far in advanced, maybe ahead of them adding the stipluation that he would be set on fire if he lost? Whatever the case if they didn't come up with that idea then they never would have been in that predicament to start with, but I don't really buy that is the reason anyway.

Good call DS! As selfish as Hogan was, I think you could make a strong case for Triple H being even more so and I think that he is a good call for the most selfish wrestler of all time.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Alright lets be honest here Neither of these guys are the most selfish the most Selfish guy is one Paul Levesque aka Hunter Hearst Hemsley and has been since he's return in 2002 when he and Stephanie were married and lets start with that shall we.

Buried RVD a guy who was rising to the top of the main event at the time and I believe he beat him clean as well.

The Katie Vick Storyline as many know it was heavily implied Triple H bought that storyline to Vince to sabatoge Kane's momentum because when Kane returned he was the most over he ever could be he was ready for another reign as World Champion and we all know what a sick fuck Vince can be so he would've done it.

He drops the title to his best buddy HBK hurray only to win it back 3 weeks later

He buried Booker T and sent him back to Midcard Booker should've been a 7 time world champion by the time he left WWE for TNA and held the belt for a bit.

He fights his buddy Kevin Nash in a shit fest rivalry thankfully Nash left soon after it finished.

Is the first guy to beat Goldberg though it was the chamber Goldberg should've won the belt at the time the amount of time Hunter had it was ridicilous.

Kane lost his mask because of him but it was Shane McMahon that fucked him big time early on.

Jobbed to Chris Benoit but when he wasn't in the title picture he made sure he's match was the main event.

Buried Randy Orton who took a while to recover infact if it wasn't for Orton's rivalry with Undertaker he may not be the main eventer he is today.

Held the title until WM 21 where he jobbed to his pal Batista clean first clean win since Goldberg and Benoit.

He and HBK reformed DX and buried the Spirit Squad I guess they made up for that with Dolph Ziggler.

Buried Booker T again

Went over to Smackdown and made the entire roster his bitch and didn't even drop the title to Jeff Hardy like he was supposed to

His disastrous WM 25 match with Randy Orton

Destroyed Sheamus and Ted Dibiase making them Jobbers.

And then of course the CM Punk storyline fiasco was pathetic.

Well... not all of that is right. Most of it yeah.

Booker T definitely should have won the belt at Mania XIX. Booker losing the belt that night was horrible for his character and momentum. But he did stick around and did fairly well for himself until his time came that he left for TNA.

Goldberg... did not need another undefeated streak. Someone needed to beat him in WWE. Goldberg is too limited and he is not made to wrestle long matches. Him losing to Triple H... considering how it happened... I mean someone had to do it. And it had to be someone at the top and everybody else was busy in their own feuds. So Goldberg losing to Triple H wasn't exactly a bad thing. Yeah it meant another Triple H title reign but... better Triple H than Goldberg.

When Kane lost his mask... he was untouchable. His feud with Shane was what ruined it and made Kane look human and almost weak. Kane losing his mask was the best thing for the character. He was just about as strong as when he initially made his debut. So for Kane's character looking like crap... I'd say blame Shane. Not Triple H.

The Benoit thing... the main event picture was Bad Blood against Nash. the horrible match, horrible feud. But ... Triple H did job, cleanly, in the main event of Mania. He tapped out. The rematch triple threat match at Backlash... walked out without the belt again. And at Bad Blood... hell in a cell needed to be the main event. Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels inside the cell... or Benoit vs. Kane in a regular title match? Hell in a cell had to be the main event. Logically it made sense as that was a huge huge feud whereas Benoit/Kane just wasn't.

The burial of Orton... spot on. That was horrendous.

The Spirit Squad being buried... really? That needed to happen. That faction was going to go nowhere. They were stagnant where they were. If it wasn't for it being disbanded then Dolph wouldn't be anything and Ken Doane wouldn't of been anything for the short while that he was. Yeah Ken stood out in the group but everybody else looked like average compared to him. If the group was to stay intact the only thing they could do was the freebird tag team title reigns. None of them would have been able to be taken seriously for even an IC or US title reign. The burial of the group was necessary for all of them. Just could have been better executed but it needed to happen.

The Mania 25 match... it takes two to tangle. Can't place all the blame on Triple H. The blame has to go both ways. Plus... how in the world do you follow HBK/Taker? Anything would have looked subpar no matter what.

Sheamus wasn't a jobber. Yeah he beat him but firstly... the match was good. Secondly Sheamus was the one that took Triple H out which made Sheamus look even better. Sheamus never came off as a jobber. He was always upper mid then he had his feud with Cena and became champion for a bit. I mean Sheamus has been somethin special. Never once a jobber. Ted... well... I wouldn't blame Triple H for that either. He looked worse against Orton.

The CM Punk thing... the storyline was actually pretty decent. Not the best but not so horrible that it was unwatchable.

Think you were being a little bit too harsh there on Triple H.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
Goldberg was on fire though the crowd was very much behind him and in that small night Triple H took away the mystique that is Goldberg it was almost as bad as if someone beats Taker for the streak then the streak it'll be like it never happened.

Slim

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
newageoutlaws
Favorite Wrestler
tara
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Ummmm no... there is nothing in wrestling that could ever compare to Taker's streak. Comparing Goldberg to Taker's streak is an insult. Taker's Streak would be like the Olympics whereas Goldberg would be more like a minor league game. Goldberg's streak wouldn't be missed.

WCW completely screwed it up when they started adding numbers to the streak and through it completely off to the point the fans stopped caring because there was no telling what the new number would be. And when Goldberg went to WWE it started out good cause The Rock put him over. After that he started fizzling because his style didn't mesh with WWE. He needed short 5 minute matches to look decent to good. Beyond that and he just looked out of place.

Goldberg was losing steam long before Triple H beat him. The crowd wasn't that behind him because they had their own WWE guys to get behind and root for. Goldberg was nothing more than a name in a sea of bigger names.