Smackdown moving from MyNetworkTV to SyFy

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
How big is this move? As a foreigner, can someone please put it into context of how big a change this will make to Smackdown's ratings.

MyNetworkTV has been a huge disappointment, I know that much, it failed as a network and turned into a syndication channel with Smackdown as it's only original programming. SyFy is assosciated with USA Network which is linked with NBC so right away that is a bigger plus for Smackdown. When ECW first started on SciFi it's rating was close to 3 so I would assume that Smackdown would be able to garner 3.0+ ratings on SyFy.

Vince McMahon recently said, I think that it was at the most recent conference call, that he expects Smackdown and RAW to compete head to head with the ratings once Smackdown moves to SyFy. That will be huge for Smackdown and WWE if that happens. Ever since Smackdown was bumped to Friday's it has never had the same success.

How big is this move and what ratings do you expect Smackdown to have on SyFy?

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
According to the Los Angeles Times the move sees Syfy paying close to $30 million for the show as opposed to the $20 million paid by MyNetworkTV and it is a two year deal with an optional third year.

So this move really does make a lot of sense. More money, better ratings potential and a closer relationship with a big network.

This move is happening on October 1 so six weeks away which really isn't that long. WWE are going to beef up the roster before the debut, which I believe is live, so we could possibly have a draft happening before then. Edge, Triple H, Chris Jericho and The Miz are potential names that I have read. Edge seems a look to go there and someone like John Cena would help make the brand be level with RAW which is what WWE wants. Two strong shows drawing 3+ ratings week in week out.

What wrestlers do you think will move to Smackdown before the SyFy debut?