Smackdown 24/8/12 review

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The show opens with Randy Orton and Sheamus both agreeing that Orton should be the next challenger for the world title, however Booker T comes out and is about to mention what happened on Monday's raw before Alberto Del Rio cuts in and starts complaining about being screwed at summerslam and also on raw, the GM says that he was about to give Del Rio another title shot that was until he started running his mouth (how weak does this make Booker look?) so instead he books Orton VS. Del Rio in a number one contenders match for the main event.

Teddy Long joins Michael Cole and informs us that there will be a guest commentator for each match tonight.

Ryback beat Mahal in a routine Ryback style match.

Layla pinned Alicia Fox in a nothing match. Following the match number one contender Kaityln congrated the champion, the pair were joined in the ring by Eve who both expected her to insult them instead she raised their hands.

Heath Slater upset Sin Cara following interfearance by Cody Rhodes in a rubbish match.

Sheamus defeated Dolph Ziggler by DQ in a lively encounter. After striking the champion twice with his MITB briefcase Ziggler teased that he was about to cash the contract in however when Shamus started to recover Dolph decided against it and left the ring. Ziggler is such a hot heel right now.

In a horrible comedy segment Santino once again had issues with his cobra which again became smitten with Aksana costing him a beat down by new U.S. Champion Cesaro. Yep the Santino character has run its couse.

R-Truth and Kofi Kingston beat Primo and Epico in a fair match which featured awful comedy communtary from the Prime Time Players. Afterwards in the locker room there was a four team brawl as PTP, the Usos and Epico and Primo (despite just losing mind?) threw their names forward to challenge for the tag belts.

Alberto Del Rio defeated Randy Orton via submission in a flat main event to become the number one contender for the world title. Post-match Sheamus and ADR got into a brawl with Del Rio taking Sheamus out using Richardo's shoe (a reversal of summerslam) then for the second time Ziggler came out looking to cash in his title shot but this time was cut off by Ortons
RKO.

Best Match: Shemaus VS. Ziggler

Worse match: Cara VS. Sleater

Best Segment/Angle: Didn't have one, althrough the stuff with Eve overshadowing Teddy in Booker's office was quite nice.

Worse: Segment/Angle: Santino and his Cobra.

Overall Show rating: 3/10

At times this SD felt too much like an episode of superstars and clearly highlight how steal the product has gotten and lack of depth in the roster. The only really noteable
happenings came with Ziggler and the world title scene.

Last edited:

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I loved the Santino segment :-(

I didn't find the show near as bad as you, but that's usual the case when I just watch it and don't analyze it because when I do, I start finding all the things that are wrong and that's no fun. The in-ring stuff did lack this week though, I didn't think Sheamus/Ziggler was anywhere close to the quality they usually put on. Also, not a fan of Del Rio/Sheamus AGAIN, even though I have been enjoying their matches (except for the stupid ending at SS, but the rest of that match was good), I just want something fresh. After the opening segment, I was kinda' interested in how they would go about an Orton/Sheamus feud, and hopes Orton would have won in the main event.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Can't believe you want to see another Sheamus/Orton match they bored us to death before and it is too soon for Orton to be back in the title picture. The best possible option right now would be be to have Ziggler involved in a triple threat with Sheamus and Del Rio at NOC.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Can't believe you want to see another Sheamus/Orton match they bored us to death before and it is too soon for Orton to be back in the title picture. The best possible option right now would be be to have Ziggler involved in a triple threat with Sheamus and Del Rio at NOC.

I didn't say I cared so much for the match that would happen, but just how they went about the feud with Sheamus cheating to win recently, and Orton's character that he's had since turning face, it'd be so easy for one to make the coveted heel turn that the IWC wants so bad from everyone. It just interested me a little more. Wouldn't surprise me if the triple threat was Sheamus/Del Rio/Orton though, don't see Ziggler getting involved since he has the briefcase.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Think we are seeing the workings of a Sheamus heel turn myself when we should be seeing Orton turning. You maybe right about Orton being in a triple threat for the title but what sense would that make given that he just lost clearly to Del Rio?

By the way I will start enjoying WWE once they give me more of a reason too. lol.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Think we are seeing the workings of a Sheamus heel turn myself when we should be seeing Orton turning. You maybe right about Orton being in a triple threat for the title but what sense would that make given that he just lost clearly to Del Rio?

By the way I will start enjoying WWE once they give me more of a reason too. lol.

To be fair, how much of the Sheamus/Del Rio feud has made sense? Wouldn't surprise me if they just had Orton attack Del Rio next week and Booker says "Alright, dawg, you in da match."

DashX

Reaction score
I agree with the OP this was a terrible Smackdown, although I loved Titus when he was commentating and having Orton tapping out to Del Rio has made me more interested in Del Rio.

TKK

Reaction score
I don't really care if Orton is heel or face, he grows painfully boring regardless. As long as he's not challenging or holding a world title it makes no difference to me.

As for Sheamus, I know that he can be a likable character. He has shown a certain kind of charm/charisma recently and I presume that's what they want him to be. The only problem I have with him is when he brings up Blue stereotypical Irishstories from his pastand saying that he rides mules etc. He's from a city afterall. That irritates me personally.

The world title scene is becoming very boring at the moment, Ziggler needs to cash in soon because imo, a long title reign from him can save the SmackDown main event picture.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Number 1: Who else does Sheamus have to feud with? Orton is the guy with name value who could give him the biggest rub of his life. Sheamus is over as fuck, especially with kids, his pale body makes him look differant and kids always mark out for the things that are different. I sure know that my nieces and nephews pop for ghim.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I don't really care if Orton is heel or face, he grows painfully boring regardless. As long as he's not challenging or holding a world title it makes no difference to me.

As for Sheamus, I know that he can be a likable character. He has shown a certain kind of charm/charisma recently and I presume that's what they want him to be. The only problem I have with him is when he brings up Blue stereotypical Irishstories from his pastand saying that he rides mules etc. He's from a city afterall. That irritates me personally.

The world title scene is becoming very boring at the moment, Ziggler needs to cash in soon because imo, a long title reign from him can save the SmackDown main event picture.

I don't know if they returned Orton to some thing like the legend killer he played 2004 that would work better for me, it does make a bit difference to me the guy just doesn't work as a face.

I don't like when Sheamus does comedy that is the weakest part of his game. I think Ziggler will cash in and win the belt around Survivor series myself.

Agree that ADR going over Orton clean was one of the highlights of this weeks show.

Pete

Reaction score
I saw Orton in '04. He was incredibly boring.

So yeah...agreeing with TKK here.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I saw Orton in '04. He was incredibly boring.

So yeah...agreeing with TKK here.

Oh so you didn't like the feud with Foley or when he was a heel in Elvolution? The legend killer gimmick was gold.

Pete

Reaction score
I never really liked Orton. I caught him post-Evolution, when he was the Legend Killer. I thought his wrestling style and promos were snooze-inducing. And this is from a guy who saw the value in John Cena, Batista and the Big Show back then.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
LOL Ortons matches during the legend killer character was just a whole lot of chinlocks.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
LOL Ortons matches during the legend killer character was just a whole lot of chinlocks.

And their not now? He did a pretty damn good drop kick back then now it looks like he is hardly breathing half the time.