Scotts Classics Discussion and Q and A

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
Not sure how well this will work but willing to try it. Inspired by I change my name every couple weeks (Bionic Redneck's) DVD review thread and people not knowing certain wrestlers in the tournaments thread, I thought I'd take questions here.

I have seen every PPV in WWE, NWA (JCP)/ WCW, and TNA History plus a lot of ECW stuff. Other indies I have seen but wouldn't say a ton of full shows. As shown in the WCW PPV thread my opinions usually are very different than others. For example I rate matches on a 10 point scale and have quite a few 10's (I'm more lenient than harsh.) Any questions about PPV's in general, PPV matches, Wrestlers greatest matches, guy's or matches i find overrated/underrated etc are welcome. Also willing to turn this into a discussion thread as I expect some arguments, but first sign of flaming and thread will be closed.

Basically I love old school wrestling (hence the tournaments) and want an excuse to talk about it.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Seeing as you're a Horsemen fan who do you feel should have been apart of the horsemen at some point but never did?

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Damn that is a corker of an opener, I have a few ideas, but will let Scott go first.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Just a general point more than a question (I have tons to ask though later) but why is it that Michael Cole's every minor mistake is blown up, overanalyzed and used against him to say he's the worst commentator ever, yet Tony Schiavone was an absolute laughing stock with his constant hyperbole yet everyone considers him a GOAT?

Bobby Heenan too, nobody says a bad word against him. He spoiled the biggest moment in pro wrestling history by relaying Hogan's heel turn before it happened. For fucks sake, short minded wrestling fans.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Wait so Heenan saying "Who's side is he on" ruined Hogan's heel turn for you.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Maybe Heenan for Flair in the '92 Rumble was a little overboard knowing the actual outcome but at least his reaction at the end saved it. YES! YES! YES!

Question time.

What are your thoughts on the New Rockers with Al Snow & Marty Jannetty?

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
WOW some good ones of the top here.

Seeing as you're a Horsemen fan who do you feel should have been apart of the horsemen at some point but never did?

Great Question. Other than Hennig's one week run that should have been much longer, this is one I've never thought of. Personally I think Stunning Steve would have fit the Horseman well, certainly better than Roma did anyway. And you may laugh if you want but I think Brad Armstrong would have been decent in the early 90's as well.

Just a general point more than a question (I have tons to ask though later) but why is it that Michael Cole's every minor mistake is blown up, overanalyzed and used against him to say he's the worst commentator ever, yet Tony Schiavone was an absolute laughing stock with his constant hyperbole yet everyone considers him a GOAT?

This is a good one too. I think Cole is magnified due to his character. They have pushed the hell out of him to make people hate him and thus people pay attention to him more. No one ever really paid attention to Schiavone.

Bobby Heenan too, nobody says a bad word against him. He spoiled the biggest moment in pro wrestling history by relaying Hogan's heel turn before it happened. For fucks sake, short minded wrestling fans.

I didn't find anything wrong with Heenan teasing Hogan to be honest. Didn't think it ruined it at all. May have been unnecessary but didn't have a problem with it. Heenan's wit will always make him a great.

What are your thoughts on the New Rockers with Al Snow & Marty Jannetty?

Actually thought they had potential as a team but never should have used the Rockers name. That killed them from the beginning, no one was ever going to replace the Originals.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Gotta say who in the world considers Tony Schiavone the goat in the first place? Have hardly seen anyone on the net anyways say anything good about him. I personally found him annoying as hell to listen to and still do to this day.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
Gotta say who in the world considers Tony Schiavone the goat in the first place? Have hardly seen anyone on the net anyways say anything good about him. I personally found him annoying as hell to listen to and still do to this day.

This I agree with. Never heard anyone rave about Schiavone. He was average at best and that may be a little too nice.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I actually think Heenan saying what he said was a master stroke, because in a way it throw fans off the scent, as in "no surely not Hogan"? kind of thing.

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
I got one, out of all the GOAT wrestlers from Japan, asides from Mutoh, who do you think would of been the most successful in the American Market?

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
I got one, out of all the GOAT wrestlers from Japan, asides from Mutoh, who do you think would of been the most successful in the American Market?

Very good question. Took me a lot of time on this one as no Japanese guys were ever going to get over on anything but in ring style. Clearly they weren't working the mic. Well most people would say Misawa hands down because the guy is in the G.O.A.T. Discussion, I'm going to disagree a bit. I Think even though they are a bit similar and worked best against each other Kobashi would have gotten over a bit more. Another in discussion for me would be Tsuruta. He had some great matches with Brisco and Race and could have made it in the old NWA/JCP territories as well. I think Kobashi could have been a big star though.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
On the Schiavone topic for just a bit: Fuck Schiavone, never hated an announcer more than him.

On the Bobby Heenan topic: I liked that he did the "Who's side is he on?" bit because more often than not, announcers are wrong just because them correctly predicting something would be weird, and 'giving it away', but now that it's expected for them to never pick the winner of let's say a Royal Rumble, no one expects who they pick to win, which is why I was shocked Sheamus won this year because I ruled him out because that was the guy they wanted us to favor. Same thing goes with Hogan, you're, thinking "Psh, Hogan isn't going to be the third guy, he's coming out here to help Savage, Heenan's just fucking with us." I think it was for the better of that moment actually, especially because Heenan always questioned Hulk.

Love Misawa by the way, my favorite.

Onto my actual question: What do you think is one of the more underrated feuds in wrestling? One that you thought was great, but hardly anyone ever talks about.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
Love Misawa by the way, my favorite.

Onto my actual question: What do you think is one of the more underrated feuds in wrestling? One that you thought was great, but hardly anyone ever talks about.

Don't get me wrong, I love Misawa also.

On to the actual question, first off, love the question. I'll give you 5 in order.

1. Hennig-Bockwinkel AWA Title feud. This is an absolutely brilliant feud featuring one of the greatest matches of all time but since it's the AWA it is kind of forgotten.
2.Flair vs Funk NWA Title. Still think the plastic bag incident and piledriver on the table were at least 5-10 years before their time. Brilliant.
3. Triple H vs Kurt Angle. Great feud that I don't think people really consider one of Trips greatest. Angle pure promo gold during this time.
4.Tully Blanchard vs Dusty Rhodes TV title feud NWA. Another under appreciated classic.
5. Eddie Gilbert vs Jerry Lawler USWA. Gilbert ran over Lawler with a car and people actually called the police on him. Amazing.

These were all popular at the time but I find kind of forgotten. As far as a never talked about feud, I loved Brad Armstong vs Brian Pillman in WCW, it was very short but it was Pillman's heel turn.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I'm going to rewatch King of the Ring 1993 soon. I was wondering what rating you've given to the awesome Henning/Hart match? Also are you with the crowd that says it's better than their SummerSlam match?