Russo speaks

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
WCW under Russo was great, but I know how you guys take rasslen' so serious and hate fun things.

Also, Owen screwed Owen.

Yeah fun things which ran them out of business. Are you saying the original NWO weren't fun? Also, don't make fun out of someone dying you idoit.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Yeah fun things which ran them out of business. Are you saying the original NWO weren't fun? Also, don't make fun out of someone dying you idoit.
Because ONE guy can take down an entire business with writing? Not the fact that he never had any real power, or the fact that the real people in charge Turner Broadcasting hired friends with no connection to pro-wrestling or even had an actual promoter at the helm.

Blaming Russo for WCW is so damned short-sighted and lazy.

Also, pointing out that it was ultimately Owen Harts decision to do a stupid stunt when he was untrained in such acts is not making fun. It's making a point.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Because ONE guy can take down an entire business with writing? Not the fact that he never had any real power, or the fact that the real people in charge Turner Broadcasting hired friends with no connection to pro-wrestling or even had an actual promoter at the helm.

Blaming Russo for WCW is so damned short-sighted and lazy.

Also, pointing out that it was ultimately Owen Harts decision to do a stupid stunt when he was untrained in such acts is not making fun. It's making a point.

The one thing I agree with on is that Russo alone cannot be blamed, but when you see how bad the product was under him and how quickly the decline happened there is no doubt that he is a big reason why WCW is no longer around. Of course he had power he was the head writer, WCW naively thought that he could work magic based on what happened during his WWF run. He tried to blame the David Arquette thing on Schivone, but he had the final call at the end of the day.

I place no blame on Owen for what happened. When you put it in the context of he refused a storyline which he had every right to do, and WWF childishly dicided to punish him then they put him in the position to have the tragic accident. It was a tragic accident, so I can't blame them for what happened on the night, but he never should have been in the position for it to happen.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
The one thing I agree with on is that Russo alone cannot be blamed, but when you see how bad the product was under him and how quickly the decline happened there is no doubt that he is a big reason why WCW is no longer around. Of course he had power he was the head writer, WCW naively thought that he could work magic based on what happened during his WWF run. He tried to blame the David Arquette thing on Schivone, but he had the final call at the end of the day.

I place no blame on Owen for what happened. When you put it in the context of he refused a storyline which he had every right to do, and WWF childishly dicided to punish him then they put him in the position to have the tragic accident. It was a tragic accident, so I can't blame them for what happened on the night, but he never should have been in the position for it to happen.
WCW was shit before Russo and Ferrara started, Sting was being attacked by dogs. And the time he was suspended WCW was even worse. Look at the timeline of his WCW run and that backs it up, to act like a writer has some sort of authority is laughable. There was a committee, but we don't bring that up right? Nah, it was all Russo......he was given the keys to the car and he drove it off a cliff because he had the audacity to try push younger guys and thought 90 minute broadways were boring.

I'm not a fan of the guy, nor do I find anything he does all that creative, but to act like everything is his fault and the stuff he did wasn't successful is just ludicrous.

And Owen Hart was the one who came up with donning the Blue Blazer mask. Whoever brought up that punishment shit is stupid, as Bret said it was Owens idea so it could get him away from the more raunchy storylines.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
WCW was shit before Russo and Ferrara started, Sting was being attacked by dogs. And the time he was suspended WCW was even worse. Look at the timeline of his WCW run and that backs it up, to act like a writer has some sort of authority is laughable. There was a committee, but we don't bring that up right? Nah, it was all Russo......he was given the keys to the car and he drove it off a cliff because he had the audacity to try push younger guys and thought 90 minute broadways were boring.

I'm not a fan of the guy, nor do I find anything he does all that creative, but to act like everything is his fault and the stuff he did wasn't successful is just ludicrous.

And Owen Hart was the one who came up with donning the Blue Blazer mask. Whoever brought up that punishment shit is stupid, as Bret said it was Owens idea so it could get him away from the more raunchy storylines.

I just said in the prevous post that I don't blame it all on Russo. I blame it on WCW for not having a back up when the NWO got stale. I blame it on Bish for wasting so much money on side shows like the Demon character, and celebrities etc... There is plenty of blame to go around, but in my opinion WCW was at its worse creativly when Russo was involved, and I don't think it is too much of a stratch to say that it may well still be around today if not for his terrible booking. Another thing I didn't say was that he never did anything good, for example I liked his orginal vision for the Goldust character, but he can't live off the attitude days forever that was quite a long time ago and IMO he has produced mostly crap since.

It was Ted Dibiase who mentioned the punishment story. I don't think he had any reason to make it up, but its possible it got mundled up, maybe hearing about Owen refusing the raunchy storylines he then took the leap that WWF used the Blazer to punish him. To be fair neither of us can know for sure.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
How would DiBiase even know when he wasn't even employed at the time?

Yapapi indian strap match days were not Russo, I would classify those few months as the worst of WCW.

And WCW wasn't ever going to live past the AOL Time/Warner merger, look what happened to that merger itself. There are REAL factors in WCW not being around, shitty creative isn't it. Corporate mergers Corporate synergy is what killed it.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Most snarks forget their fave guys were Russo creations.

Can't really mark for everything Lance Storm then bitch Russo did nothing for rasslin'. Team Canada vs Filthy Animals was a solid faction war.

He rid the company of most their past it guys and promoted young homegrown talent from Indys and power plant. If this was under Heyman's watch you'd be sucking his dick.

Fags.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
But Russo hates wrestlin', he's all about sports entertainment. He's a troll that changed the direction of wrestlin'.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Sports entertainment saved your precious sport.

If rasslin' was still booked the way it was pre Attitude era it wouldn't be on TV anymore.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
But Russo hates wrestlin', he's all about sports entertainment. He's a troll that changed the direction of wrestlin'.

Save me from the Jim Cornette views on what wrestling should be, he never likes anything that worked and made wrestling popular. If it was up to him, professional wrestling would still be in bingo halls infront of morons who think it's real. You don't go to a magic show and think the magicians are actually wizards or some shit.

Sports entertainment saved your precious sport.

If rasslin' was still booked the way it was pre Attitude era it wouldn't be on TV anymore.
Too fucking right, what would've happened if Vince McMahon didn't come out and say this shit is scripted? Just a bunch of idiots sounding like Roddy Piper, making them sound so damn stupid trying to keep kayfabe.

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I prefer Cornette's view on wrestlin' over Russo's but I love angles like Katie Vick and shit so I'm glad he didn't take over WWE or anything.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
^ And you were doing so well until you said "I love Angles like Katie Vick" although that you included the word shit afterwards was quite fitting:pipe:

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Most snarks forget their fave guys were Russo creations.

Can't really mark for everything Lance Storm then bitch Russo did nothing for rasslin'. Team Canada vs Filthy Animals was a solid faction war.

He rid the company of most their past it guys and promoted young homegrown talent from Indys and power plant. If this was under Heyman's watch you'd be sucking his dick.

Fags.

But do you think WCW run by Heyman would be anything like it was under Russo? They have very different prospectives on wrestling.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
But do you think WCW run by Heyman would be anything like it was under Russo? They have very different prospectives on wrestling.
Different prospectives? Are you serious? Both were about making new characters and pushing edgy content for the ADHD viewer flipping channels. Way to show how much the smarks views are so warped by the people who cover it. Funny how nobody talks about Heyman turning his wrestling matches into music video highlights full of spots and booking crucifixions and lesbian angles and women getting their asses kicked by males.....But yet, he is a creative genius and Russo is a cancer because he does the same type of things? Except for chopping up shitty matches, he books them for a few minutes on TVs.

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Heyman can switch it up, though. It's just random nonsense with him he can pretty much run a wrestling promotion with any direction. ECW as just ECW and he knew to make it an entertainin' product. His writin' for OVW was one of their best runs and I'd put it ahead of what Cornette did there but he did have CM Punk to work with.