Random ROH Talk

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

Im still pretty new to ROH, and i have questions, probably just like many of you. So to keep this kinda organized, how about a thread for it. I know i have a few more questions, but heres the one thats on my mind right now.

Roh generally runs shows, two nights in a row. Like Friday and Saturday. My question is, why do they have the better card on saturday rather than friday? I understand Friday helps set up for saturday, but what happens when wrestlers get injuried. It seems to be they would be fresher on friday. Do you think there is other reasoning behind this? Does it bother you? Should it be 50/50, thoughts?

Soulpower

I think it comes down to the venues. If you'll notice, they usually have the Friday show on a smaller city (like say Dayton, Ohio) then when they go to their big-market places. (Like New York) they put on a stacked card.

I think it should be 50/50. Instead of having two or three high profile matches on the Saturday show, have maybe one on Friday and then leave the other matches for Saturday. That way both shows feature a good-lineup. I don't like that they do that, but from a business standpoint, I understand why the put the best shows in the cities with the largest fanbase.

Montana

How did the embassy start? Is there a story behind it? I just thought it was kinda a odd pairing of prince nana, and Rave, Shelly.

Also why is Jimmy Rave so hated. Inside/Outside of the ring. The guy is a solid wrestler, i think.

What are Morishima, Cima, Kenta, Marifuji, Shingo, Doi, Dragon Kid ranked in japan. Like are any of them upper card? Basically which ones are upper, mid, and low.

Cynic Clinic

Reaction score
Embassy started in 04. Rave was getting a lot of heat via the internet from smarks about how he has no charisma and after AJ was forced out(they were doing a protege angle), he was left with little or nothing to do. So one ROH Newswire later, there's a report on how he quits Ring of Honor with a statement that says how he never imagined his wrestling career would be ended by a bunch of computer pricks. Nana is meanwhile building up The Embassy with The Outcast Killers as the lackeys, and promises to deliver 'The Crown Jewel' as a surprise. A guy comes out in a headdress and Nana reveals it's Rave. Rave becomes the uber heel, doing everything a heel does which becomes remarkably fresh seeing as how nobody did that at the time. It got booed for the very same reason. Suddenly, the internet got hot on him and there became a backlash of overrated chants and shit.

Shelley eventually joined later on because when he got kicked out of Generation Next, he lost all allies and became victim to a ton of beatdowns. He said 'I didn't sell out, I bought in' and joined the Embassy and they inherited his feud and that culminated at Steel Cage Warfare in a match everyone knows and loves. Abyss was a hired gun for only about 6 or 7 shows.

KENTA is a junior ace in NOAH. He's not a heavyweight contender because there, they take the heavyweights seriously and would figure that junior heavyweights should never take the belt or even wins over heavyweights. It unrealistic and it dominates every junior-to-heavy interaction. Marufuji bulked up a little and won the GHC Heavyweight belt with an inside cradle(sort of a flash pin). Morishima's a credible threat to the upper card in NOAH. Had a couple of title shots a few years apart and fell short both times. He's upper.

In Dragon Gate, CIMA and Doi dominate the main event. Dragon Kid sometimes, too. They're top calibre there. Shingo's sorta rookie, though.

Montana

Thanks, great answers. I did feel like Shingo was a somewhat of a low card guy over there.

Montana

I was at FYE today and i noticed one ROH Dvd, and one FIP dvd. I thought it was very odd because i heard ROH dvds were not sold in stores. Anyone have any info on this? It was ROH - Round Robin Challenge from 02

Also what shows were in the Milestone Series? I heard all those shows were really good, I saw Better than our Best, and that was great, so i was curious what other shows were in that series.

Reaction score
the DVD question i can sort of anwser as of i have bought ROH and FIP DVD's in a store ("Music World") i think it has to be a lower profile store seellling independeent wrestling DVD's but i cant think of why not places like HMV Walmart or anywhere else. if i can find anything else i will update it with more info. as of i own now FIP best of CM punk, ROH Best of Cabana

one of my questions. I want to know What WWE thinks of ROH as Most Superstars arent in ROH, exept for maybe Matt HArdy does WWE have a policy on not having contracts with lower indepented promotions like ROH

Montana

The wwe uses development contacts. The wwe can sign any indy wrestler, that isnt signed to a indy contract. So basically like Colt Cabana, the wwe contracted him saying, hey sign with us when your free of your indy obligations, and we will send you to OVW, THe wwe has two training indy organizations (OVW, and Flordia championship wrestling, (or something like that, its brand new) So when they sign a indy wrestler, they send them there. Once they get there, they judge them and critic them, until they are ready for the wwe, IF they are ready. If not they will let them go. Does that make sense?

Reaction score
Quick question-How free are ROH wrestlers to work with other Indy companies and their shows? I understand that many wrestlers in ROH do this but I didn't know if there were any restrictions. And, are there certain wrestlers that work ROH shows once in a while, but primarily are part of another company, but still under ROH contract long term? Thanks

Cynic Clinic

Reaction score
Quick question-How free are ROH wrestlers to work with other Indy companies and their shows? I understand that many wrestlers in ROH do this but I didn't know if there were any restrictions. And, are there certain wrestlers that work ROH shows once in a while, but primarily are part of another company, but still under ROH contract long term? Thanks
How free? Completely free. As independent wrestlers, you wrestle for any company that will hire you. ROH recently began signing wrestlers to contracts, which I think just prevents them from going to WWE and TNA. They still wrestle where they want. It's independent contracting. Freelance work. Date by Date. ROH doesn't force them to work every date like WWE and TNA do. It's just an issue when booking for long term. Some/Most wrestlers on the indies just wrestle for fun and have real jobs and such.

To answer the question on wrestlers that are part of other companies, I'd have to know what you mean. The japanese wrestlers? Because TNA guys can't work for ROH anymore. TNA guys used to be able to work wherever, with TNA taking a slice out of their payday due to the exposure on TV. But now that ROH has PPV, they don't let them.

Reaction score
^Thanks, and yeah, you answered my second question, sorry for the confusion. I just have one more question though. Have belts from of promotions been defended on ROH shows at all?

Montana

Yes, but rarely. Like ROH and the other company have to agree to it. A few japanese belts have been defended. The FIP championship has been defended. ROH now also uses the shimmer womens belt too.

Montana

How did Nigel and The Briscoes turn face? I noticed they had a lot of heel heat a year or two ago.

Soulpower

^^^I think The Briscoes turned faced once they left Cornette. The fact that they had so many great matches also forced the fans to cheer for them.

As for Nigel... He slowly started turning face during a feud with Colt for the Pure Title. By the time McGuiness started feuding with Danielson, Bryan was the heel and Nigel turned face by default... He's been a face ever since then.

the dark knight

sorry is this was asked before, if it was, just tell me which post is it cuz im too freaking lazy to read all of them now.

1) how many shows per week does ROH have?
2) if i wanna start watching ROH like i watch the WWE, what should i do? DVDs? youtube? download?

more like the same question lol