New Years weight loss

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

straight_edge76

Reaction score
You know how hundreds of people always make that dumb "I'm gonna lose weight" New years Resolution? Well, me and a bunch of friends from high school were talking the other day and one of them came up with a pretty funny/stupid yet intruging idea. We are gonna make a bet out of it, starting next week we are gonna start a Biggest Loser type of competiton to see who can lose the highest precentage of weight (being that we all vary in size), there are 10 of us and we're each putting $50 in the pool (Which makes for $500 to the winner).

I felt that while this may be a bad idea, I am still going for it since well I am taking a P.E class at my school this quarter and I could always use more motivation to actually stick to a workout/diet plan. I've already cut back on fast/greasy foods and since of my friends I am the biggest and have a background in wrestling so I already have a pretty expansive background on weight/diet management but lacked a legit reason to stick to a diet I think this is just what I need to kickstart my plan to be healthier (since my family has a history of heart disease/diabetes)

Just thought this was worth sharing. I already have a tenative workout scheduele mapped out for the durartion of the 'contest' but if any of you have any good workout routines/tips feel free to either post them or PM them to me, anything helpful would be appreciated. Wish me luck guys, thanks.

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
Good move, competition is always a good incentive to improve yourself.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Yeah man, that's what I was thinking. I've tried to get back into working out heavily but without anything other than just me to push myself it's hard to stay motivated.

...god...

Reaction score
eat more carbs than protein and eat protein in amount to your body weight and it'll all be easy.

Mike Chaos

Reaction score
Last spring I started eating somewhat healthier than what I normally did. It wasn't because I wanted to lose weight but rather I looked at all that stuff I was putting into my body and kind of realized it wasn't that good for me. Considering the body is like a machine, I wanted to put in better foods so I can keep it running longer hopefully.

I started eating more fruits that I enjoyed and more vegetables that I like as well. Cut out fast food (and greasy foods), except Subway and cut out most of those microwaveable foods that are mostly unhealthy. Moving to wheat bread rather than the white bread. I never really used butter much so that wasn't a problem. I bought more foods with fiber as well as eating until I felt I had enough food instead of just pigging out and basically wasting all that food by overeating. Kinda cut out cheese, except on the occasional pizza, due to the fact that it can kinda clog the system up. I actually went from 175 to 165 just by eating right over the course of a month or two. I didn't exercise that much besides occasionally lifting weights.

seX-Power

Reaction score
Eat healthy and exercise or you'll look like J!

Reaction score
Lift heavy, and get sound advice or you'll end up as another "Resolutionary".

They're in there right now. Sweating on machines, leaving dumbbells everywhere, and playing on their IPhone between sets.

98% of them will fail and be gone in a matter of 2 short weeks.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Bro if you want any pointers feel free to ask me. I have weight trained for 12 years. I have trained several top level NPC amateur bodybuilders. I've worked and talked to Dave Palumbo and still do. If you need to know how he looks, Google him. It all depends on what you're looking for as an individual. I've helped prep people for bodybuilding contests and almost competed in the 2002 NPC Mr. Natural Michigan. I've forgotten more then most know about weight training, diet, supplements, and gear. I also have 2 certs from ISSA in kinisieology and performance nutrition.

Eating more carbs and less protein doesn't really work unless you're mass building and you know what carbs you're eating and how to time them properly. Nutrient timing is one of the most important things you can do. If you're trying to lose weight, reduce your carb intake and up your protein intake. First and foremost, what most don't know is protein is thermogenic, meaning it helps to burn fat. PM, and let me know what you're looking for. Also if you need, look up Kristy Hawkins. She's an IFBB Professional Womens BBer and my former leg training partner. I still keep in contact with her as well.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. I already have for the most part cut out fast food (except last night I caved in and went to Taco Bell with some friends), I've started working out this week as well, and those guys Gates mentioned I saw, horrible form on every lift, taking boat loads of powders and suppliments before/after the workout in the locker room and all.

Pump, I will PM you more specifically what I'm looking to do. I took weight training 3 years in high school but I'm sure that's not close to what you did. While it did help me quite a bit in high school atletics and all and I likely will use some of what I learned there I would also love to get some help from someone with extensive experience in it.

pumpt73

Reaction score
Form is the biggest key in the gym. I don't care if you bench pressing 400lbs, if your ass is 10 feet off the bench and you're bouncing the weight off of your chest, you ain't working shit. I always say the guys who take their time will come along a lot faster then the douchers who don't. Fitness is a marathon not a sprint. I might only bench press say 225lb, but Id rather do 8 good reps of that then 10 shitty reps with 315. My chest will grow faster the other way. Get form down. Also, stay away from bars. Those things are crap. Most of them contain collagen, which is an unusable protein. You just shit it out. Now if you're in a pinch and need something, that's when a bar comes in handy.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I agree 100%. I typically do low weight, high reps on all lifts, and if I do decide to max out I'm sure to have a spotter to help my form. I see guys bouncing weights and swinging dumbells all over the place and grunting/shouting like that means something. Next to some of the other dudes in the gym I might not be lifting as much or doing as many reps but my 3x15 or 5x15 with less weight is benefiting me more than loading up on weight, with less reps and crap form.

Those bars and what not I know are total B.S and I've heard that unless you are doing 2 or 3 hard hours of lifting the powders and shit dont do you any good and will just help you gain fat rather than muscle. I'd much rather have a smaller but more defined body type than these juiced up, bulky muscleheads.

Beer

Reaction score
If you want to just lose weight and tone go for low weight, high rep/set. If you want to build strength go for high weight, low rep/set. If you do do some toning, don't just tone your mirror muscles (ie. the muscles you see in the mirror). It's kinda what a lot of people do these days and you'll look like an idiot and unbalanced. Remember to tone all of your body equally.

Reaction score
If you want to just lose weight and tone go for low weight, high rep/set. If you want to build strength go for high weight, low rep/set. If you do do some toning, don't just tone your mirror muscles (ie. the muscles you see in the mirror). It's kinda what a lot of people do these days and you'll look like an idiot and unbalanced. Remember to tone all of your body equally.

"Toning" is for people that have no idea what they're talking about.

You can't "spot-tone" certain areas of the body, no matter how many magazines lie to you.

You can shred your abs with one move!! Uh huh. Keep trying then.