New General Manager on the 1000th RAW

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
^Firstly the Mcmahon higher power thing is totally different to this that was a unique twist which I don't think many people called and besides Vince as a heel always made more sense. The Ace thing would be dumb if it happened why not just give him a proper run as GM in the first place?

I love Heyman but the fact is people will always think of him more as the classic 80s/90s manager who worked for the NWA and WCW and more recently as the owner of ECW. He has done some good work for WWE but not really enough to enclispe his past.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I was posting on message boards in 1999, and trust me, Vince McMahon being the Higher Power was not the overwhelming shock most people today seem to think it was. Vince McMahon was feuding the with Undertaker, so "It wouldn't make sense" was thrown around a lot before hand to dismiss the notion that it could possibly be Vince. Plenty of people saw it coming though. Even the news and rumors sites like Jimmyvan.com (which I followed) threw out lists of potential candidates to be that mystery person, all of which had Vince near the top of the list. It wasn't different at all.

And yes of course Heyman will always be regarded as ECW's renegade leader, but WWE seems to consider every promotion they've absorbed as part of WWE lineage. Even the US Championship still recognizes the champions from the JCP/WCW days and doesn't only date back to March, 2001. They recognize Sting on their WWE.com alumni page even though he's never stepped foot in WWE. They've also inducted various wrestlers/managers into their HOF who never once worked in the WWE, most-notably Verne Gagne of the AWA, who was their Paul Heyman.

And don't discount what Heyman did in WWE either, being Brock Lesnar's manager, an integral part of the Alliance, not to mention heading the WWE ECW brand and being a commentator for various brands is a highly significant accomplishment within WWE's ranks.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I agree with most of that with Heyman, but I just think WWE have never given him the ball to totally run with. If you look at that whole Invasion angle yes at the start he was a big part of it but as it moved along he fall more into the back ground and it was more about Shane and Stephanie. Think the problem Heyman had was that he entered WWE at a bad as they were starting to lose interest in that style of manager or personality, as a result his career there has been very start/stop IMO.

SAL

Reaction score
Triple H being forced by the Board of Directors to announce Paul Heyman as the new GM will build heat for the Summerslam match, lead to a possible Lesnar title run, set up storylines for next year's Wrestlemania, and be an awesome bit of karmic retribution. It makes so much sense that I know it's going to be somebody else. It'll be the hand that Mae Young gave birth to or something.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I still think JR would be solid. He would be a good Teddy type.

I agree with you, but the problem is WWE doesn't agree with us about putting JR on TV.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Don't think JR would really work in that sort of role as much as I loved him as a play by play man.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I'm with Keith. Truly great commentator but don't think he has what it takes to be a GM.

TKK

Reaction score
Those anybody else think that Dusty Rhodes could be a possibility? He's running NXT at the moment and is one of the very few people that I think could get the role. I don't really like the idea of it though, I'm pretty sure that I would get sick of him as GM pretty quickly.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Seems a long shot as he has hardly been seen on WWE TV in years and I has never been rated that highly by the promotion from what I understand.

Reaction score
GM will be Paul Heyman as part of Lesnar's 'deal' to make his match with Triple H @ SummerSlam official. That way Heyman can control things big time for his 'client' and push him towards the title at NOC or whenever Brock wins it, he organises the redesign of the title belt, and it's just sounding really good and logical in my head.

Having said that, it will inevitably be a colossal disaster of a choice

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
If they wanted to phase King out gracefully, he could easily pull off GM and allow booker and Josh to grow into the booth more so.

If they want to think long term and possible authority figure for years to come, it is easily Edge imo

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Scott, did you see JR when he was a manager in the 90's? He was absolutely god awful.

King was too. No desire to see either of those guys as GM.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
1. The only thing about if Heyman gets it is that it might seem odd to give someone it just for one feud.

2. Who says that Lesnar is going to get the belt again PDM? If he is only signed short term and then moves on it is going to be hard to fit a title reign in not least because he has ony signed on selective dates.

3. I thought JR made a really convincing heel manager in the 90s I don't know if he would fit the mould for GM. King taking it is a terrible idea if he sucks at communtary then what says he would do a better job as GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.