MVP Released

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
I didn't watch MVP as a face, but, I imagine it would be unbearable. He was a great heel. He was in a class all of his own. Ortons a psychological heel, Jake the Snake is a calm psychological heel, Ted DiBiase Sr. was a rich douche heel, but MVP was just the kind of heel that was just good at being cocky. Yeah, it's been done to death, but, MVP is the only one thats actually made it work. WWE turning him face was a HORRIBLE idea. I understand them wanting to do it for the sake of experimenting with it, but, once they saw it wasn't working, they should have made him heel again. I think MVP had all the makings of a mega star. Remember how everyone thought he was joke when he first came out in his Bud Light-Power Ranger uniform? In a short time, he established himself really well. WWE fucked him over, plain and simple.

Veritas

Reaction score
I know WWE's on the youth movement right now but, really, they should be looking at fad pushes, too. Not every guy has to be a huge star forever, if they can get a good 3-5 year run out of a guy as a mid-to-main event level star it'd give the fans a breakup of the franchise Champions like Hunter, Cena, Orton, etc so things don't seem so repetitive and it'd also give them time to build those next generation guys like Sheamus, Miz, Del Rio, etc. At one point, MVP could've been one of those guys. He came in as a guy everyone expected to be a "handpicked guy" that would go straight to the top but he didn't and people actually started seeing him as a worker.

There's been some speculation that his "going international" comment meant he was looking to head to Japan.

NinoBrown

Reaction score
^ This. When Trips had his run on SD, that was his best chance to main event.
Shit didn't happen.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Bullshit, MVP wasn't anything special anymore. When he first debuted, he cut some great promos that set up some solid matches with Matt and Benoit, but anybody could have good matches with those guys at that time. MVP teetered off and got lazy and seemed unhappy anyway. Not to mention there's a long list of guys who've gotten screwed way worse than black Miz ever was. I know he's a fan of puro so i'm not surprised he wants to go to Japan. But I doubt he'll have much success before going back to TNA.

Hassan: Just another WWE career mid-carder people on the internet suck up to for seemingly no reason, see Val Venis, Scotty 2 Hotty, Rob Conway, etc.

Axis

Reaction score
When he first debuted, he cut some great promos that set up some solid matches with Matt and Benoit, but anybody could have good matches with those guys at that time.

I agree with this sentiment. Well, first of all, I recommend that anybody go watch MVP vs Benoit from Wrestlemania 23, because that match ruled hard. It was my 2nd favorite match that night, and it's my favorite from that card to go back and re-watch. Secondly, I hear his program with Matt Hardy heralded a lot as an indication that he didn't need to be carried. While it is true that the program was a lot of fun, do not forget that Hardy was at the top of his game at that point. He was the most reliable person to have a good - great TV match with at that point. I would argue that MVP elevated the feud with his promo work, but he and Hardy were both aided by very creative booking. I enjoy MVP's work, and I thought he was very solid. But his accomplishments and potential are being severely overhyped.

Pavitar

Reaction score
This is a shame. This is the third wrestler that WWE has completely wasted in terms of potential. With The Pope and Mr. Kennedy being the first two. I don't understand why WWE doesn't push talent that the fans like.

Pavitar

Reaction score
Read the article here: http://www.thewrestlingcafe.com/mvp-released.php

I think it was a horrible move. He was the complete package as he was solid in the ring and was getting better and better on the mic. I still don't seem to understand why WWE releases talented wrestlers like Mr. Kennedy, the Pope and now MVP. It really is a shame.

Your thoughts?

Reaction score
Bullshit, MVP wasn't anything special anymore. When he first debuted, he cut some great promos that set up some solid matches with Matt and Benoit, but anybody could have good matches with those guys at that time. MVP teetered off and got lazy and seemed unhappy anyway. Not to mention there's a long list of guys who've gotten screwed way worse than black Miz ever was. I know he's a fan of puro so i'm not surprised he wants to go to Japan. But I doubt he'll have much success before going back to TNA.

Hassan: Just another WWE career mid-carder people on the internet suck up to for seemingly no reason, see Val Venis, Scotty 2 Hotty, Rob Conway, etc.

HTK with the muffuggin truth.

Montana

Reaction score

Teetered off and got lazy??? Vince told him he wasn't going any higher on the card because of his history, age, and tattoo's and such. I think it's BS your calling out MVP, who's went over, above and beyond anything the WWE has ever asked MVP to do. It's not that he can't play a face, it's the fact his booking has been AWFUL since 2007. Remember his promo's with Orton and LEgacy, and that storyline magically dropped. MVP was VERY over that at time, and the WWe did nothing to follow up. Hell 2 weeks ago the fans were chanting MVP, MVP.

I dare some of these young guys like Miz/Swagger/ Shaemus to be sucessful faces in the WWE. It is a lot harder to be a good face than heel. WWE knew this, they knew MVP could do it, when most of their young stars with potential could not. that is without a doubt the reason he's been a face. Does he play a better heel, yes. Does he play a better face than 90% of the roster probably....Yes.

I'm not saying the WWE should have put the belt on the guy. I just wouldn't call MVP lazy for doing his job, and clearly he's been doing something right if he's been sucessful as a face and a heel. I'd say he's been the top mid-card guy over the past 5 years, and had a sucessful run in the WWE. In terms of faces, he's up there with the WWE's best:

Cena (7-8 years experience)
HHH (part time but 15 + years)
Undertaker (part time, 20+ years experience)
Rey Mysterio ( injury prone - 15 + years)

and then MVP who's been around about 5 years.

Morrison, Big Show and Edge are favorites, but they don't seem to connect with the fans as well as MVP. Again Edge/Big Show have had very long careers, thus easier for the fans to accept as a face. You don't hear fans chanting these wrestlers names. Koffi is right up there with MVP as well, although he's losing steam too. Creative doesn't have anything good for him.

So i wouldn't blame the wrestler, blame the company who ultimately decides who will/won't be a Main eventer/star, however you want to call it.

Reaction score
MVP being released is just terrible, especially considering that WWE debuted his team with Kaval this past week.

MVP has been a star that I have followed ever since his debut, in 2006. He was introduced as a "Big star" and he was treated like a major star, involving himself in the US title scene, and receiving praise from JBL. He defeated Chris Benoit (AT WRESTLEMANIA!) to capture the US Belt. Soon after, he won the Tag belts with Matt Hardy. I loved this feud between the two, as it was a really well-executed storyline, perfectly planned every week. The only spot that I disliked was when Hardy vomited on MVP. In recent years, MVP hasn't been actively used on Smackdown (Unless losing to stars). In my opinion, this is a shame as I really saw big things for MVP. This week on Smackdown, he was shown with Kaval and I had high-hopes for the team - Only to find that MVP had been released. I'm dissapointed.

As for joining TNA, I can see that and would enjoy it. MVP has shown the potential to be a World champion, so I would love for him to hold the belt in TNA. I definitely think that we haven't seen the last of MVP, for which I am glad.

Axis

Reaction score
I'd say he's been the top mid-card guy over the past 5 years, and had a sucessful run in the WWE. In terms of faces, he's up there with the WWE's best:

Cena (7-8 years experience)
HHH (part time but 15 + years)
Undertaker (part time, 20+ years experience)
Rey Mysterio ( injury prone - 15 + years)

and then MVP who's been around about 5 years.

Morrison, Big Show and Edge are favorites, but they don't seem to connect with the fans as well as MVP. Again Edge/Big Show have had very long careers, thus easier for the fans to accept as a face. You don't hear fans chanting these wrestlers names. Koffi is right up there with MVP as well, although he's losing steam too. Creative doesn't have anything good for him.

Your talking about a past 5 years that has all but ignored the midcard, so being among the best isn't a huge accomplishment. Besides, you forgot Matt Hardy, Jeff Hardy, CM Punk, Bobby Lashley, and Santino Marella -- they have all been more popular faces than MVP within the last 5 years.