Meet WWE's newest Superstar, the phenomenal AJ Styles

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
[video=youtube;ubZR-cfkSDQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubZR-cfkSDQ[/video]​

The countdown clock hit zero and a mysterious theme hit the loudspeakers. The Royal Rumble Match stopped for seemingly an eternity as Roman Reigns waited for No. 3 to step onto the entrance ramp. It was fitting, because for fans of AJ Styles, the man charging to the ring, his journey to WWE felt like an eternity, too.

Styles’ arrival on Sunday night was the culmination of nearly a decade and a half spent becoming the most praised performer who wasn’t on the WWE roster. He has held the top title in countless promotions, beaten everyone from Kurt Angle to Hiroshi Tanahashi, and is one of only three non-WWE competitors to be named the top wrestler in the world by Pro Wrestling Illustrated. Simply put, if there was a scouting report for potential WWE Superstars, Styles would have been No. 1 on everybody’s list.

What makes the Georgia native so special? From an in-ring standpoint, he should weigh heavily in any conversation about being the best in the world. He’ll catch your eye with his devastating Styles Clash, which has felled opponents from Tampa to Tokyo, and blow your mind with his dizzying Spiral Tap — a corkscrew senton bomb from the top rope. And, like Daniel Bryan and Jeff Hardy before him, his charisma and ring presence make it impossible to turn away. If you take your eyes off him, even for a second, you're sure to miss something special.

Styles' first national exposure came in WCW during the company’s waning final weeks, where he chased the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Championship as one half of a duo called Air Raid. He competed in tryout and dark matches for WWE in 2002, but was never signed by the company. Undeterred, he made a name for himself in every single promotion that wasn’t owned by Mr. McMahon with countless blow-away matches. He battled Sting and Samoa Joe in Florida, challenged CM Punk and Daniel Bryan in Chicago, and fought Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn in California.

Then in April 2014, Styles took his first step toward international acclaim when he debuted in New Japan Pro Wrestling, immediately aligning with Bullet Club. Styles twice captured New Japan Pro Wrestling’s IWGP Heavyweight Championship — a title also held by Brock Lesnar, Vader and WWE Hall of Famer Tatsumi Fujinami — while asserting himself as one of the best American wrestlers in the company’s history.

And then the rumors started. In January 2016, a report broke that he and three other New Japan Pro Wrestling competitors were supposedly heading to WWE. Finn Bálor, Bullet Club’s leader before Styles, fanned the flames on his social media accounts. Even John Cena got in on the fun, posting a picture of Styles’ face on his Instagram account, which Styles responded to with an old photo of Cena’s mug.

After weeks of speculation and cryptic tweets, though, Styles finally stepped into a WWE ring, showing Orlando, Fla.’s Amway Center and viewers worldwide that he isn’t just hype. He’s a game changer.

Styles arrives to WWE as a highly skilled veteran with the same agility and desire as that novice grappler who once stared down The Hurricane on WWE Metal. After conquering the independent circuit and Japan, AJ Styles wants to show WWE why he’s so phenomenal. Hold on tight.

Source(s): http://www.wwe.com/
Now that newest WWE Superstar has hit the scene, where did you see the phenomenal AJ Styles going from here?

What would you like to see him do first? And where would you like to see him this time next year? Share your thoughts on AJ Styles in the WWE.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I would love to see them build him up first in the mid-card with maybe an IC or US Title Run. I'd prefer the IC Title over the US Title. But either would work, let him win that and have some good feuds with guys like Sami, Neville, Owens, and Joe once he is called up. Seeing Styles and Joe in WWE might seem a bit weird, but I would love to see what they could do. Book that match for one of the big 4 PPV's. Maybe even Wrestlemania 33 next year. After that I could slowly see him moving up into the Main Event, feuding with whoever the champion is but don't give him a title match until around SummerSlam. Maybe could even have the champion at the time cost him the IC Title to someone at Money in the Bank which can lead up to a match at Battleground where AJ is screwed over from winning the title, which leads into the SummerSlam Match. This could put AJ over huge having him win it at one of the big PPV's WWE has. After that just book him strong with the title, main event the PPV's as champion also. Question is do we let him keep it until Mania from that point, and past Mania. I would be fine with AJ defending the title at WrestleMania 33 honestly.

Reaction score
Honestly I knew AJ Styles was not going to win the Royal Rumble. But it would have made his already awesome appearance 10x better. ~Enigmatic Soul

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I would love to see them build him up first in the mid-card with maybe an IC or US Title Run. I'd prefer the IC Title over the US Title. But either would work, let him win that and have some good feuds with guys like Sami, Neville, Owens, and Joe once he is called up. Seeing Styles and Joe in WWE might seem a bit weird, but I would love to see what they could do. Book that match for one of the big 4 PPV's. Maybe even Wrestlemania 33 next year. After that I could slowly see him moving up into the Main Event, feuding with whoever the champion is but don't give him a title match until around SummerSlam. Maybe could even have the champion at the time cost him the IC Title to someone at Money in the Bank which can lead up to a match at Battleground where AJ is screwed over from winning the title, which leads into the SummerSlam Match. This could put AJ over huge having him win it at one of the big PPV's WWE has. After that just book him strong with the title, main event the PPV's as champion also. Question is do we let him keep it until Mania from that point, and past Mania. I would be fine with AJ defending the title at WrestleMania 33 honestly.
I'd really like to see Styles do something with the Intercontinental Championship like Cena did with the United States Championship. I'd like AJ treat it like ROH honored their belts and tour with it and make it seem like the top belt on shows where he'd headline with it. Even battle other top guys who are suddenly interested in acquiring this belt that Styles has made the "it" title to have. The IC strap used to mean something and I think it can again. Imagine WWE even let KO and AJ have bloodbaths (figuratively, of course) in Raw main events over it? Then Samoa Joe can be called up and immediately call out AJ for it. Maybe even take him to a time limit draw over it on his first night on Raw. The possibilities are endless. As for the U.S. Championship, I think that should remain the goalpost for John Cena to resume chasing when he returns.

Honestly I knew AJ Styles was not going to win the Royal Rumble. But it would have made his already awesome appearance 10x better. ~Enigmatic Soul
It would have honestly been a huge shock to see AJ Styles stand in the WWE ring with the WWE World Heavyweight Championship on his first night.

The pop would have torn the house down.

Reaction score
It would have honestly been a huge shock to see AJ Styles stand in the WWE ring with the WWE World Heavyweight Championship on his first night.

The pop would have torn the house down.
I completely agree Brandon, might have even been one of the best first appearance's EVER.