Mark Out Moment: Hogan Heel Turn VS RVD Title Win @ ONS

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Mark Out Moment

• Hogan Heel Turn

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • RVD Title Win

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Yeah but that didn't mean he was going to win it just because they won it. Some guys go their whole career without winning the biggest title and it wouldn't have surprised me if he was one of those guys. I never got the feeling it was inevitable for him to become WWE champion.

Indeed what a crime the likes of Dibiase, Steamboat, Rude and Perfect did not win a world title while on WWF's watch. They would have all been much more deserving than Van Dam.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Indeed what a crime the likes of Dibiase, Steamboat, Rude and Perfect did not win a world title while on WWF's watch. They would have all been much more deserving than Van Dam.

Van Dam wasn't around in the Hogan/Warrior/Savage age. His only REAL competition for the WWE championship was Cena, and to a lesser extent, Edge. You have to look at the times. Had DiBiase, Steamboat, Rude and Perfect been around without Hogan, Savage, and Warrior, they would have won the title. Same goes for if RVD would have been in Hogans time, he would have never held it.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Van Dam wasn't around in the Hogan/Warrior/Savage age. His only REAL competition for the WWE championship was Cena, and to a lesser extent, Edge. You have to look at the times. Had DiBiase, Steamboat, Rude and Perfect been around without Hogan, Savage, and Warrior, they would have won the title. Same goes for if RVD would have been in Hogans time, he would have never held it.

Can't really argue too much with this, just find it amazing that none of those guys who cleanly WWF valued highly at one time or another didn't get a run on top. Hogan like Cena today still needed people to feud with over the title.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Can't really argue too much with this, just find it amazing that none of those guys who cleanly WWF valued highly at one time or another didn't get a run on top. Hogan like Cena today still needed people to feud with over the title.

It was a different time, when there were only 4 ppv's a year, and for the most part only aired a total of 2 hours per week(with the exceptions of Saturday Night Main Event, and ignoring talk shows like Tuesday Night Titans, which would air matches from the other shows). Stories didn't progress in a month, but evolved over the course of an average of 3 months or longer. Because of that, Hogan needed a third of what Cena does today in the lines of opponents.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
It was a different time, when there were only 4 ppv's a year, and for the most part only aired a total of 2 hours per week(with the exceptions of Saturday Night Main Event, and ignoring talk shows like Tuesday Night Titans, which would air matches from the other shows). Stories didn't progress in a month, but evolved over the course of an average of 3 months or longer. Because of that, Hogan needed a third of what Cena does today in the lines of opponents.

Another good point, but still Hogan had to lose the title to someone at some point. Also would a feud with Dibaise instead of that awful Slaughter one not have benifited everyone more?

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
I doubt it would have been relevant, or considered as high profile as the Slaughter feud. Arguably Slaughters turn could be seen similar to Hogan's, seeing the RL GI:Joe turn and side with the Iraqis, spitting in the face of the American people, etc. was unexpected. not that I am defending the horrible story that came from it.

It also didn't make much sense for Hogan, The Real American, to be going after someone who had chased the American Dream and was successful. DiBiase trying to buy the belt, was the best thing the character ever could have done, because lets face it, why do all the hard work yourself when money can buy you anything. It might not be to the same level as winning the belt, but as a fan I consider buying the belt, being in a feud that involves Bobby Heenan, Andre The Giant, Randy Savage, & Hulk Hogan to be as "at the top" as most people could have even hoped for in that era.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I doubt it would have been relevant, or considered as high profile as the Slaughter feud. Arguably Slaughters turn could be seen similar to Hogan's, seeing the RL GI:Joe turn and side with the Iraqis, spitting in the face of the American people, etc. was unexpected. not that I am defending the horrible story that came from it.

It also didn't make much sense for Hogan, The Real American, to be going after someone who had chased the American Dream and was successful. DiBiase trying to buy the belt, was the best thing the character ever could have done, because lets face it, why do all the hard work yourself when money can buy you anything. It might not be to the same level as winning the belt, but as a fan I consider buying the belt, being in a feud that involves Bobby Heenan, Andre The Giant, Randy Savage, & Hulk Hogan to be as "at the top" as most people could have even hoped for in that era.

The second part of your post is spot on, but the Slaughter feud bombed lets not forget that.

Anyhow me thinks this is a debate for a different thread..

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Ooh this was a tough one. I loved RVD winning the title and that was huge, and that crowd made it special. I was really gonna vote for it. But, the biggest babyface turning heel. Wow. Had to go with that.