Mark Out Moment: CM Punk Shoots VS Brock Lesnar Shooting Star Press

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Mark Out Moment

• CM Punk Shoot

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Lesnar Shootin Star Press

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
The shoot for me, it was timed so perfectly with all the rumors that Punk really was leaving that had been circulating for months. The Shooting Star Press was great, but I find it hard to watch, much less mark for because the dude almost broke his fucking neck.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Pretty close, but I loved the Punk shoot stuff it really gave the main event picture a kick up the backside.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Think this is a really strong matchup.

It's pretty well known Punk is neither here nor there for me and that his shoot has become a tad overrated, but at that time I was marking like hell like most other people on the internet were. Thought it was just going to be a standard promo to start with but then all sorts of subjects were being dropped one after another and seem to increase in 'holy shit' level until the point he was cut off at Vince and the Be A Star campaign.

With that being said, I think i'm going to have to go with the SSP because to see a guy of Brocks size do that when I was expecting like an elbow drop still gets me going.

Great matchup though.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
It would be a lot closer for me if Brock hit the move since him just attempting it was crazy but I went from marking out to being like oh shit did Brock just break his neck which killed the whole marking out moment for me. Then going back and seeing that Brock actually has done it before and hit it kind of lessened it for me some more.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
The weird thing is, I actually think that him not hitting it properly actually adds to the whole marking out process as fucked up as that sounds.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I can actually understand that even though it does sound pretty fucked up lol. I just couldn't do it esp after seeing him look like he didn't have idea where he was it turned into a scary moment for me personally.

Weez

Reaction score
If I didn't know about Brock doing SSP's in OVW, I may have been more surprised. He fucked it up because he tried to use the turnbuckle like a trampoline. Lost all his momentum and fucked him up in the air. Watch it again. He had the leg strength to almost do it without any help.

Almost.

Punk by a mile.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
loved, LOVED Punk's promo and still enjoy watching it back today.... but I couldn't believe my eyes when Brock went for the SSP, a true Holy Shit moment in my wrestling fandom.. it gets my vote

Heisenberg

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
I'm giving it to CM Punk with the shoot promo. Watching live it was a holy shit moment and really sent the wrestling universe into shock and huge discussions. What he said was remembered for a long time and really changed the way wrestling was from then on out as well as having another top guy. Lesnar SSP was amazing and I know he can hit it to perfection and what happened at WM19 was just a slight mistake, but the fact it failed didn't really leave that much of a lasting impression like the shoot did. But it was good and huge props to him for finishing the match.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
paulheyman
This is actually a pretty tough choice for me, since I marked the fuck out pretty hard on both, but I'm giving it to Punk. That was THE most awesome worked promo in wrestling history bar none.

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Kinda surprised Punks winning this, that shoots impact is greatly exaggerated pro wrestling didn't change one bit because of what Punk read off his script. It created a buzz for a while thats it.

Kinda surprised Punks winning this, that shoots impact is greatly exaggerated pro wrestling didn't change one bit because of what Punk read off his script. It created a buzz for a while thats it.

Twist of Fate

Reaction score
For me though it wasn't so much the overall impact in the long run or anything, but the degree of relief from having someone finally addressing some of the issues he brought up. There's been a lot of frustrating decisions that WWE have made in the way some stars are treated or used or even released. Just having that brought up on TV (rather than being discussed amongst the internet community or it pretty much being unacknowledged to that point) made it worth it to me at the time.

Despite certain people apparently having a problem with Punk, I don't have a problem with anything he said about himself. They'd dropped the ball with him time and time again. The worst part is that unlike certain current guys that are also treated in such a crappy way, Punk consistently showed he had what it took and it was completely ridiculous how they'd pretty much just shoot themselves in foot by being stubborn against him for whatever petty backstage reasons there were, often undoing the momentum he had (as heavyweight champion, straight edge society, even new nexus [as in his efforts in that]). As bad as it is for certain other stars, I felt it was a massive waste of Punk's talents. He may have an attitude, but he HAS backed it up IMO.

Even though ultimately it didnt too much in the grand scheme of things, and as much as I actually dislike what became of him after (first with the Triple H, Nash aspect, followed by "digging crazy chicks" and pretty much a lot of what happened as more or less a Face), the fact is with what he said and even leading up to his MitB PPV match against Cena (I think it was that PPV?), those were interesting times IMO (far more interesting and worthwhile than most of the other content before and what more or less followed later). As far as i'm concerned, WWE became even remotely exciting with something "different" than what we came to expect in recent years. That makes it a very worthy moment IMO.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I wish for the sake of promo work for other guys that their writing team was capable of writing great promos. He never needed someone to write his stuff before so why would he in that case on matters that were legit gripes?

Punk winning this isn't slightly surprising since like I said Brock doing the SSP went from a mark out moment to worrying moment that the man might have just put himself on the shelf for a while though I understand Dale's point on how it that part of it could still be a mark out moment in a way.