Kobe Bryant Saga Continues

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rell

Reaction score
More than two weeks after Kobe Bryant made his trade request to the Lakers, he still wants out, says his agent.

"Kobe's position remains unchanged," Bryant's agent Rob Pelinka told ESPN.com on Friday. "Kobe would like to be moved."

The question remains, will the Lakers move him? The head says no. But the scuttlebutt suggests otherwise. A number of GMs and agents around the league seem convinced that he's going to be traded.

The Lakers had strong interest in trading for Jermaine O'Neal before Bryant's trade request. But that interest has cooled since then. Why? Because there's no need to bring in a big-money player like O'Neal and gut the team if Bryant isn't going to be around.

From what I can gather, the Lakers would have two conditions to meet in any Kobe Bryant trade:

1. They want to send him to the Eastern Conference.
2. They need a star player back in return.

The Eastern Conference preference would potentially rule out such places as Phoenix and Golden State, both of which have significant assets and interest.

And, of course, the lack of available stars would rule out just about every team in the East, including the Knicks.

Some East teams lack the star power to bid directly for Bryant. Others have stars that aren't going anywhere.

For instance, the Cavs and Heat have superstars LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, but both are untouchable. Ditto, apparently, for Dwight Howard in Orlando.

Chicago, from what I hear, is Bryant's first preference, and he might be willing to waive his trade kicker (a bonus payment if he's traded) to play there. While the Bulls have lots of assets, such as Ben Gordon, Luol Deng and the No. 9 pick in the draft, that package lacks true star power.

Based on my conversations with various sources around the league, I see two intriguing possibilities if the Lakers are looking for an Eastern Conference star -- the Wizards' Gilbert Arenas and the Celtics' Paul Pierce.

Scenario 1

Arenas isn't Kobe, in talent or stardom. But he is from Los Angeles, he's more than three years younger, he has great magnetism and, like Bryant, he can fill the seats.

With Arenas saying he'll opt out of his contract with Washington next summer, the Wizards might want to start looking at ways to move him now before running the risk of losing him for nothing.

Here's one potential trade, with Bryant headed to Chicago and Arenas to L.A.

The Bulls would send Gordon, Tyrus Thomas and P.J. Brown (sign-and-trade) to Washington, and the No. 9 pick to L.A.

The Lakers would send Bryant to Chicago.

The Wizards would send Arenas and Etan Thomas to L.A.

Under that scenario, which couldn't be completed until mid-July, the Lakers would get a star player (Arenas) and a high draft pick (No. 9) which, I'm told, they'd use to get Yi Jianlian if he's still on the board.

The Bulls would be paying a very high price for Kobe -- two high lottery picks and this year's No. 9. But the Bulls would keep Deng, something they desperately want to do. On the other hand, they still wouldn't have a low-post scorer.

The Wizards would avoid having to break the bank for Arenas next summer, would bring in two very talented young players and would get some serious cap relief down the road.

Scenario 2

A similar trade could work if the Lakers were willing to substitute Boston and Paul Pierce. While Pierce is almost 30 years old, I'm told the Lakers like him -- and he's from L.A. too.

The Bulls would send Gordon, Tyrus Thomas and P.J. Brown (sign-and-trade) to Boston, and the No. 9 pick to L.A.

The Lakers would send Bryant to Chicago.

The Celtics would send Pierce to L.A.

That deal would make the Celtics even younger than they already are, but it would also give them plenty of assets to continue making deals.

Chad Ford-ESPN
As a die hard Laker fan, I really don't want to see Kobe go, but I believe his time in Los Angeles is coming to an end. I would definitely like to see Gilbert Arenas in a Laker's uniform...I really don't like the second scenario, Pierce is past his prime. With the NBA draft coming up, look for moves to be made soon.

Defiant One

Reaction score
Ummmmm I agree his time in LA is done imo. But Pierce isnt past his prime at the very least at the end of his prime, its not over yet. He is still a 25-30 point scorer, with good years left in him assuming he stays healthy. The best deal for everyone would be the Arenas one, its fits. One thing I dont like is Chicago being invloved in it, they have a good nucleus of young talent and in the East next year they're a contender, i hate them moving any of their core players but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Rell

Reaction score
^I agree, but what are the chances Pierce will stay healthy, and is Paul Pierce really equal value for arguably the best player on the planet...not at all. The Arenas trade would make a lot of sense because he's from Los Angeles and has family out here. I believe Arenas is equal value for Kobe because though Kobe is a better all around player, Arenas is 3 years younger and still improving. The trade works for everyone, The Bulls want a championship (which is a lot easier to do with Kobe on your team, not to mention its the eastern conference), Wizards want to get younger and free up cap space, the Lakers just want to make a deal that will work, which is pretty hard to do when your trading away the best player in the world.

Defiant One

Reaction score
^I agree, but Kobe is taller, and stronger than Agent 0 not to mention Kobe actually plays D. Bottom line Kobe is the arguably the best player in the world, and there is no such trade guaranteeing equal value, but Arenas is close and satisfies all LA. Chicago, and Washingon.

TheAnswer

Reaction score
Me being a Bulls fan I'm happy to hear about Kobe coming. About what Defiant One said, you make a good point about the Bulls giving up there nucleus, but really its only Gordan and the Draft Pick. The team the Bulls have now will never get them a ring, but with Kobe it will.

Defiant One

Reaction score
^^^I actually think the team they have now are capable of winning a title, if they had won there last regular season game I think they wouldve went to the Finals where they would've lost to the Spurs. Given they're an eastern conference team its only a matter of time before they get to the Finals. I do agree though with Kobe they have a better chance though.

TheAnswer

Reaction score
I never said anything about them not reaching the finals, I said winning a ring. The eastern conference was worst than usual this year, due to D-Wades injury, and Shaq being older, I believe the Eastern conference will be better next year, but no way can Chicago be a championship winning team like SA or DET, Kobe will help Chicago out a lot and can instantly start a dynasty? Who knows........

Defiant One

Reaction score
I agree witht that man, what I meant though was the Bulls are this good now and no one apart of their young nucleus has reached their prime yet. But you're right with Kobe they instantly can create a dynasty.

Wordlife

ok... im from chicago... big bulls fan.... if dey traded gordon away, i'd be pissed, because he is starting to sprout and become something of himself as a player, and as an individual. Tyrus thomas is awesome too, so trading him wud just be Blue. Oh and PJ Brown, who cares bout PJ Brown. Now, Kobe on the bulls tho, that would be cool. Cause look:

PG - Kirk Hinrich (garbage) or Ben Gordon
SG - Kobe!!!
SF - Loul Deng
PF - Ben Wallace
C - da asian guy in da draft

Now that is a team right there!!!

Oh and btw, anyone watch the NBA FINALS this year

Yeah.... didnt think so

Defiant One

Reaction score
lol ^^^ actually i did watch the Finals this year just like every other year, I'm a big NBA fan. Hinrich is far from "garbage". PJ Brown may not be the best player but he gave the younger guys experience and he is reliable. There is no guarantee that the Bulls would get the center you're talking bout another team could draft him.

Wordlife

^^^ yeah

your right. I mean kirk is pretty good, he did have his sorta slump-ish season this year... and damn does anyone like him in the nba??? the refs hate em, other players hate him, ok, no offense but he's white, and theres very few white players nowadays who we can look at and say, "Man, that .... is such a good player. It makes me feel so good to be white" I didnt mean that in a bad way, even though I am white myself. I mean... sht.. i love the NBA, its my fave sport(basketball). But i mean come on, look at steve nash, dirk nowitzki, kirk, kirilenko, and a few others I forgot to name, they are good, but then you got the lebrons, dwades(who is my fave player), shaqs, kobe'stmac, etc. who are all so good. I dont want this post to come out in a bad way to ne1, but people really need to give kirk some more credibility, i kno i said garbage, and i agree with ^^^, i take it back... oh, and tim duncan is a BEAST

Defiant One

Reaction score
^^^yeah one thing I found funny was other than Hinrich the white players you mentioned are all foreign born players lol. But I get what you're saying though. I'm black and my favorite player is Dirk, so yeah. Hinrich definitely deserves more respect. It would be nice if there were more white players, but look at it this way the last three MVPs were white, Dirk and Nash.

Oh and D'uh Duncan is a beast lol, arguably the best PF EVER, the most dominant in the last 10 years.

Wordlife

i wudda liked lebron 2 getta title but duncan is juss 2 damn good... plus i gotta give respect to tony parker... A. he's good and B. his wife (or soon to be wife) is so DAMN HOT!!!!!!!!

Defiant One

Reaction score
lol She hot no doubt. Personally I can't stand LeBron, I think he is over-rated, overhyped, and every other synonym in the book. Everyone compares him to Jordan and he hasnt done anything yet, at least when Kobe was/is compared to Jordan he has three rings to back it up, LeBron has nothing. Good player but NOT JORDAN. He has no outside shot, and all he does is bulldoze down the lane and get some bullshit whistle from the refs. I'm not impresessed. D-Wade added the 3pointer to his arsena so the defense has to respect him all over the court, when LeBron does that I'll lighten up on him until then he is just good, not great. Maybe a top 10 player at best.

Rell

Reaction score
ok... im from chicago... big bulls fan.... if dey traded gordon away, i'd be pissed, because he is starting to sprout and become something of himself as a player, and as an individual. Tyrus thomas is awesome too, so trading him wud just be Blue. Oh and PJ Brown, who cares bout PJ Brown. Now, Kobe on the bulls tho, that would be cool. Cause look:

PG - Kirk Hinrich (garbage) or Ben Gordon
SG - Kobe!!!
SF - Loul Deng
PF - Ben Wallace
C - da asian guy in da draft

Now that is a team right there!!!

Oh and btw, anyone watch the NBA FINALS this year

Yeah.... didnt think so

Sorry to break the news to you but if the Bulls get Kobe Bryant, the trade will have to include the number 9 pick or the Lakers wouldn't budge, meaning the Asian guy in the draft (Yi Jianlian) would end up in a Laker's uniform.