Jay Briscoe's Homophobic Remark

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
First off most gay advocacy groups watch for this type of thing so that they can point it out. I know they ignored it because there is not a single main stream media outlet that's picked this up. They would because it would give them a change to point out bigotry because every other state in the nation is currently passing gay rights laws and pointing out idiots like Briscoe helps the cause. They've apparently deemed his twitter comments irrelevant.

That, or it just proves ROH's irrelevancy. Probably a mixture of both.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
First off most gay advocacy groups watch for this type of thing so that they can point it out. I know they ignored it because there is not a single main stream media outlet that's picked this up. They would because it would give them a change to point out bigotry because every other state in the nation is currently passing gay rights laws and pointing out idiots like Briscoe helps the cause. They've apparently deemed his twitter comments irrelevant.

They are irrelevant, doesn't mean they should be accepted through.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
They are irrelevant, doesn't mean they should be accepted through.

You really need to start reading things. I'm not saying they should be accepted I said what my take on Nukem's thoughts were. You then asked me to support those thoughts. I supported those thoughts with my statement of no major news coverage gay advocacy groups etc. Nowhere in my statement did I say that I agreed, supported, or found Briscoes statements correct.

THOUGH they should be accepted because he has the right to saw whatever the fuck he wants.

I can sit here and say that all people of a different race should die. I can say that women are inferior to men. I can say old people should be shot after a certain age. I can say whatever the fuck I want to because it's my right. As it is Briscoes. That doesn't mean I'm correct, doesn't mean I'm not an asshole all it means is that I'm entitled to my opinion. What your saying is that Briscoe shoudl be censored. Briscoe shouldn't be censored. You start to censor people that's when the really get the guns out that's when they meet in bingo halls with white sheet's on. If you let them do it in the open you know what they're up to.

But still most of all Freedom of Speech. It's not Freedom of saying things that aren't Blue, it's not freedom to say only what keith agrees with, it's Freedom of Speech. Freedom to say whatever the hell you want.

I don't agree with him but he has the right to say it.

[MENTION=1891]Chris[/MENTION] most likely correct.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
You really need to start reading things. I'm not saying they should be accepted I said what my take on Nukem's thoughts were. You then asked me to support those thoughts. I supported those thoughts with my statement of no major news coverage gay advocacy groups etc. Nowhere in my statement did I say that I agreed, supported, or found Briscoes statements correct.

THOUGH they should be accepted because he has the right to saw whatever the fuck he wants.

I can sit here and say that all people of a different race should die. I can say that women are inferior to men. I can say old people should be shot after a certain age. I can say whatever the fuck I want to because it's my right. As it is Briscoes. That doesn't mean I'm correct, doesn't mean I'm not an asshole all it means is that I'm entitled to my opinion. What your saying is that Briscoe shoudl be censored. Briscoe shouldn't be censored. You start to censor people that's when the really get the guns out that's when they meet in bingo halls with white sheet's on. If you let them do it in the open you know what they're up to.

But still most of all Freedom of Speech. It's not Freedom of saying things that aren't Blue, it's not freedom to say only what keith agrees with, it's Freedom of Speech. Freedom to say whatever the hell you want.

I don't agree with him but he has the right to say it.

[MENTION=1891]Chris[/MENTION] most likely correct.

Actually, going to stop there. It is not your right. The law, in the United States, which you live in, is that the government, or any ruling agencies can restrict your freedom of speech if it is deemed as a threat to someone else, or the government. This is commonly referred to as the Anarchy Law. You can't go around saying someone should be shot, or a race, or a sexuality for that matter. THAT'S where your rights end.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Actually, going to stop there. It is not your right. The law, in the United States, which you live in, is that the government, or any ruling agencies can restrict your freedom of speech if it is deemed as a threat to someone else, or the government. This is commonly referred to as the Anarchy Law. You can't go around saying someone should be shot, or a race, or a sexuality for that matter. THAT'S where your rights end.

Actually you can say it you can be arrested if the threat is real. You think that Briscoe was being serious? Cause I don't. You don't need to tell me the rights of my country because I know them.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Actually you can say it you can be arrested if the threat is real. You think that Briscoe was being serious? Cause I don't. You don't need to tell me the rights of my country because I know them.

Obviously you don't if you think you can go around saying to shot certain people. People preach "Freedom of Speech!" When they don't even know what that freedom actually is.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Obviously you don't if you think you can go around saying to shot certain people. People preach "Freedom of Speech!" When they don't even know what that freedom actually is.

"threats may not be punished if a reasonable person would understand them as obvious hyperbole" Sorry you fail I'm done with this thread. He said it he has a right to say it as nobody seriously believes he'll follow through on his actions.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Amendment-Related-Statutes-University/dp/1599418673

Read up before trying to school someone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
If people didn't believe him then it wouldn't have gotten that big of a backlash. Obviously it got enough attention for RoH officials to see it and do something about it. It was a very stupid thing to say.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Social media if often watched by employers, not hard to understand how they seen it.

Even the title of this thread understates the more important issue. Ignores violence, vilifies homophobia.

And thank you Hollywood for understanding what I was talking about.

Reactions: 1 person

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Hollywood we got cross wires I wasn't slating you for stating what you thought the other poster meant, was just making a point of my own.

This thread is kind of going round in circles now, but needless to say I am on Tapouts did on this one. Its like I said before comments like the ones from Briscoe sets us back years. And if he really is against telling his kid that gay marriage is a acceptable thing then he is sending the wrong message.

I don't think he meant the shooting remark, but it is still troubling and to me it was pure hate from him, doubt he was doing it just to get heat.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
[/B]

Yes like someone else said please explain how that even makes sense? Its a backwards argument because surely if people just innogue these remarks it actually make things worse because the homophobic people would think that its alright to talk like that. If he was just doing it for heat (which I doubt) then that makes him even more sad.

I just want to take the time to explain this.

If people ignore the remarks, their words would not have the same weight. As soon as you acknowledge them, you give them the power to continue to make these comments and have their voices heard. The Westboro Baptist Church is the perfect example of this, if people just ignored the 20 something members, instead of putting their organization in the media, nobody would know about them except for the people who have had them protest infront of them, having the media attention behind it could actually bring more to their cause, reversing the desired effect.

You cannot fight discrimination with discrimination, that is the backwards way of thinking. It must be fought with education & understanding, or you bring yourself down to their level, making you no better than them.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I just want to take the time to explain this.

If people ignore the remarks, their words would not have the same weight. As soon as you acknowledge them, you give them the power to continue to make these comments and have their voices heard. The Westboro Baptist Church is the perfect example of this, if people just ignored the 20 something members, instead of putting their organization in the media, nobody would know about them except for the people who have had them protest infront of them, having the media attention behind it could actually bring more to their cause, reversing the desired effect.

You cannot fight discrimination with discrimination, that is the backwards way of thinking. It must be fought with education & understanding, or you bring yourself down to their level, making you no better than them.

That is a decent argment, the problem is that you are treating something quite serious and hateful like it is just a bit of name calling. The reason we can't just ignore such remarks is that before you know there are more like them and then more, and then things do get more serious.

On your last point I think I have already answered it a number of times, but really there has to be a sense of right and wrong and bashing people because they are gay has to fall into the wrong side of things, not least in this day and age, for that any other reasons already mentioned I don't consider myself to be discrimating.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
It really isn't as big of an issue as you make it out to be, a human being made a mistake that did not result in forcible confinement, sexual or physical assault, torture, or murder, it was just words, not so very different from mere name calling.

I would also think the Dutch slave runners didn't consider what they did discrimination, or a certain Austrian born dictator. Regardless of if you choose to accept it or not, discrimination is discrimination, and there is no excuse for it.