Jay Briscoe's Homophobic Remark

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
A lot of controversy surrounding this. What are your views on this?

I'm sure a lot of people will but quick to bring up freedom of speech and all that, but there's a difference between expressing your opinion and making an aggressive hate speech. What he said was ignorant, highly disrespectful and shouldn't be condoned at all.

People that get bothered by this are the type of people

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
While I don't agree with this opinion I'll quote JBL (he was using it in reference to Zeb) Everybody loves freedom of speech until they don't agree with the opinion being expressed.

Never been a Briscoe fan and continue to not be one. This only supports my opinion.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Don't get why ROH are so outraged, their founder was convicted of paedophilia so they can't exactly take the moral high ground.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
While I don't agree with this opinion I'll quote JBL (he was using it in reference to Zeb) Everybody loves freedom of speech until they don't agree with the opinion being expressed.
Never been a Briscoe fan and continue to not be one. This only supports my opinion.

No because there is right and there is wrong, and to discrimit against someone just because they are gay is clearly wrong. We are supposed to be living in progressive times and comments like those from Briscoe's set us back.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Freedom of speech doesn't cover that. Fuck freedom of speech was written when you'd have been shot for being gay. Freedom of speech is there for one reason to be able to openly criticize the government and that's all it was really ever meant to do.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Asides from the threat of death, there is nothing wrong about his opinion.

He never discriminated against anything, except teaching his children that its alright if they are gay. A parent has the right to deny teachings to their children, just the same as they can decide to force religion upon a child.

And, if times are so progressive, why are you discriminating someone based on their beliefs?

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Asides from the threat of death, there is nothing wrong about his opinion.

He never discriminated against anything, except teaching his children that its alright if they are gay. A parent has the right to deny teachings to their children, just the same as they can decide to force religion upon a child.

And, if times are so progressive, why are you discriminating someone based on their beliefs?

I already explained my position in other posts if your too lazy to read them thats your problem. This sort of thing cannot be accepted in 2013, ROH know it and that is why they made the statement they did.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
My god what a moron. I honestly don't even know how these Twitter remarks get made. Do they just assume no one will read them? Because I would think anyone with half a brain would have the common sense to realize they're getting in deep shit for making that type of remark. Particularly when you're a public figure of sorts. Athletes do it too sometimes, I just can't wrap my head around it. How can someone be so fucking clueless?

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Man has a right to not believe in gay marriage. So why is it okay for everybody to call him an idiot for speaking out on it? He didn't even discriminate against it for fuck sake! He just doesn't want his kids being taught something he doesn't believe is right. The death threat thing was extreme, but still though, the rest of it shouldn't really be taken THAT seriously. Shit.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
God, this thread is a clusterfuck already, let's start at the beginning;

His comments are completely unacceptable. This; "try and teach my kids that there's nothing wrong with that and I'll fucking shoot you" is a ridiculous thing to say, especially for someone in the public eye. If he opposes the legislation, fair enough, that's his prerogative. But to follow it up with something so emotive is idiotic beyond belief. They should've fired him for being so fucking naive never mind anything else.

Aside from the 'shoot' part, then yes, he is allowed to say what he said, but by the same token I'm also allowed to label him a horrible, uneducated, intolerant bigot for his views.

He has freedom of speech to say it, I have freedom of speech to reply in kind.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Other than saying he was going to shoot somepne for teaching them that gay marriage is right, there is nothing wrong with what he said. Everyone here seems to over value their opinions, but if somebody expresses an unpopular one it's all of a sudden "outrage". Get over it, don't have to give a fuck. Not like he said smurf. Oh shit I said it! A hompsexual must've killes himself because some fuck typed it on an internet forum. Jay Briscoe.....seriously who cares? Homophobia will never cease unless homos get overthemselves and quit trying to find causes, and their supporters alienate their cause by trying to jam their views down everypnes throats.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
I already explained my position in other posts if your too lazy to read them thats your problem. This sort of thing cannot be accepted in 2013, ROH know it and that is why they made the statement they did.

Your other posts do not explain why you can discriminate in progressive 2013, but others cannot. An opinion can be neither right, nor wrong, simply popular, or unpopular, your stance is oxymoronic, and detrimental to your cause, because humans cannot get to that progressive state without everyone being accepting of everyone's beliefs. Clearly you are against a persons beliefs, which means you yourself are not progressive, and should stop preaching what you clearly do not practice.

Why did ROH make that statement?, because people made a big deal out of it. Same could be said about why the Westboro Baptists Church has become a hot topic. If unpopular opinions are simply ignored, they do not have the same impact as the ones who get people outraged.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Everyone saying that this is not a big deal are missing the point big time.

You're basically all saying "He only threatened physical harm on people who want to teach his kids about equal rights, what's wrong with that?". There's a lot wrong with that, especially when he makes such a statement on the internet in front of thousands of people. His first tweet was him expressing his opinion, his second tweet was an aggressive hate speech, and there is simply no other way of explaining that tweet as otherwise.

People have every right to get angry about this tweet. I don't get why people are saying that apart from him saying that he'd shoot someone he, didn't say anything else wrong, because that's exactly what we're getting angry at! People are choosing to ignore the main reason there's an outrage over what he said, and going on about how it's just his opinion. It's such a weak argument.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Your other posts do not explain why you can discriminate in progressive 2013, but others cannot. An opinion can be neither right, nor wrong, simply popular, or unpopular, your stance is oxymoronic, and detrimental to your cause, because humans cannot get to that progressive state without everyone being accepting of everyone's beliefs. Clearly you are against a persons beliefs, which means you yourself are not progressive, and should stop preaching what you clearly do not practice.

Why did ROH make that statement?, because people made a big deal out of it. Same could be said about why the Westboro Baptists Church has become a hot topic. If unpopular opinions are simply ignored, they do not have the same impact as the ones who get people outraged.

Because I didn't discrimate. The part where I said about someone losing their rights once they infringe on someone elses seems to cover how I feel. How do you know why ROH made the statement? I can't see any respectable company in this day and age being happy with one of their employees making those kind of remarks.

And deezy gay people do not go looking for causes narrow minded fools like Briscoe give them them.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Everyone saying that this is not a big deal are missing the point big time.

You're basically all saying "He only threatened physical harm on people who want to teach his kids about equal rights, what's wrong with that?". There's a lot wrong with that, especially when he makes such a statement on the internet in front of thousands of people. His first tweet was him expressing his opinion, his second tweet was an aggressive hate speech, and there is simply no other way of explaining that tweet as otherwise.

People have every right to get angry about this tweet. I don't get why people are saying that apart from him saying that he'd shoot someone he, didn't say anything else wrong, because that's exactly what we're getting angry at! People are choosing to ignore the main reason there's an outrage over what he said, and going on about how it's just his opinion. It's such a weak argument.

So what exactly are you mad about? Are you mad that he doesn't believe in gay marriage?