Jay Briscoe's Homophobic Remark

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
-- Jay Briscoe posted the following on today, causing a bit of stir among fans on Twitter..

"The Delaware Senate passed a bill yesterday that allows same sex couples to get married. If that makes you happy, then congratulations!!!!!!"

"... try and teach my kids that there's nothing wrong with that and I'll fucking shoot you"

Following a pair of controversial tweets yesterday, ROH Champion Jay Briscoe posted the following on Twitter…

"I feel very strongly about how and who should teach kids about certain things but I showed poor judgment by using that analogy and I'm sorry"

Briscoe later deleted his entire Twitter account.

UPDATED: Ring of Honor issued the following statement today...

"Ring of Honor Wrestling respects and appreciates every fan regardless of age, gender, race, religion or sexual preference. The recent post by Jay Briscoe does not represent the views or opinions of Ring of Honor Wrestling, its owners, management or employees."

As you probably know by now, ROH World Champion Jay Briscoe tweeted yesterday that he would "f**king shoot" anyone who tried to teach his kids that gay marriage was okay, causing a firestorm of controversy. Following an initial statement this morning that simply said Briscoe's thoughts did not reflect those of Ring of Honor's, ROH has issued the following second statement:

"Jay Briscoe would like to again express his sincerest apologies and regrets to all, especially his young fans, for his recent hateful Twitter comment. Ring of Honor has insisted that Jay also make a public apology at the Ring of Honor event this Saturday night. Jay will address the public during the event.

In addition to this apology, Ring of Honor and Jay have agreed that he will donate his full pay from the next two Ring of Honor events to the Partners Against Hate charitable organization. Partners Against Hate was created to help prevent, deter, and reduce juvenile hate-related behavior.

For more information on PAH, visit PartnersAgainstHate.org."

A lot of controversy surrounding this. What are your views on this?

I'm sure a lot of people will but quick to bring up freedom of speech and all that, but there's a difference between expressing your opinion and making an aggressive hate speech. What he said was ignorant, highly disrespectful and shouldn't be condoned at all.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
His next 2 pays? Shit dude, all this for some stupid comment. People are too easily angered on the internet. Man can and should be able to say what he wants. I'm not saying I condone what he said, it's just kind of ridiculous how crazy everybody got over this.

punk13

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
lita2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
the thing that irks me isn't what he said so much as how he said it. if he doesn't support gay marriage, hey, whatever. that's his choice. but that last part was unnecessary and makes him look like an idiot imo.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I chalk this down to him being a Blue spotmonkey who took too many bumps to the head.

punk13

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
lita2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
He says similar shit all the time on Twitter, because it's against the gays he's automatically a bad guy?
Nope.
i would have had the same opinion if it was something racist,For Abortion, etc.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Yeah, if you can't accept racism and bigotry then just get off the internet.

Perfect logic.

Pretty much, because it's always going to happen. These bullshit commercials you'd see on TV do fuck all. It's much worse on the internet.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Pretty much, because it's always going to happen. These bullshit commercials you'd see on TV do fuck all. It's much worse on the internet.

That doesn't make it ok though, especially from someone who's basically an ambassador for a company. It's easy to ignore ignorant comments from anonymous people on the internet, because they're clearly just dumb people who don't deserve any attention. But someone who wrestles on TV and who has so many followers on Twitter? That's different.

You can't pass off Jay's comments as something that's just a regular occurrence on the internet and ask people to move on from it. Consequences need to be made.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
But the internet is easy for you to be someone you're not. Plus how come he doesn't get nailed for some of the other shit he says?

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
I don't know what other shit he says, but if it's as bad as that homophobic comment then yeah, he should be condoned for that as well. Him getting away with other remarks doesn't make his latest one any less distasteful though.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
As for the freedom of speech argument my answer is what a gay rights activist once said that a person loses their right to freedom of speech once they infringe on someone elses rights.

It was a dumb thing to say and he expressed himself very badly. He has now approigised so I hope that will be the last of it.

Miss D

Reaction score
everyone has the right to freedom of speech until they use that right or so it seems

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
In the same way that he has the right to say dumb shit like that, everyone else has the right to call him a moron for voicing his opinion in such a redneck way.